It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello all!
I began posting here in 2010, when I was seeking information about tapering my suboxone dose. I believe I was at 8 mgs back then. Over the past three years I have had one abortive poorly planned and executed attempt at a rapid wean, and have had several successful slow weans, so that I have been at a stable dose of 3 mgs of suboxone for a year.
I have entertained thoughts about weaning and even stopping, but wasn't ready until now. About three weeks ago, I learned I need to have surgery, scheduled for May 29. This got me thinking it's time to wean to as low as I can go so that I will have less trouble with pain control after surgery.
I have consulted with my surgeon and an anesthesiologist where I will be going. I have been lurking again here, seeing how others have done it, and 9 days ago I dropped from 3 to 2.5 mg of sub. In the past when I have dropped my dose, I generally started to feel punk around day 3. When I dropped from 4 to 3, I felt mild WD's for about 7 days, and then had about 6 weeks of a lowered mood. My sleep wasn't affected because I take klonopin to sleep (1mg).
So I'm happy to report that my drop from 3 to 2.5 has been fine. No WD's at all over 9 days. I did drop to 2 2 nights ago, and yesterday morning was definitely noticing mild WD's - on the COWS scale I was about a 9. So last night I took 2.5 again, and today back to 2.
I'd like to keep posting my story, it helps me keep on task. I like to read of others successes and problems, to learn from.
My goal is to get to 1mg before surgery, and I'm hoping to be able to stay at 1 mg after I wean off the surgical opiates.
Thanks for reading this book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Back again. Today will be day 3 of 1.5 mg suboxone. I know that tomorrow will be my misery point, it always is as I drop my dose.
But I'm really happy to share that each 0.5 mg drop has been pretty painless. The drop from 2.5 to 2 was accompanied by 2 days of COWS around 9; needed my anti nausea wrist bands for about three days. But the worst day was a Saturday, so it didn't mess with my work.
I have 25 days until surgery. If I do 7-10 days at 1.5 that will have me 2 weeks out from surgery to do 1mg. Still plan to stop all sub on 5/26, so that I'm in WD's the morning of surgery. Perhaps being in WD's will take my mind off the anxiety about the surgery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good job with your taper, Xonedone!!!

Are you planning on using low doses of Suboxone (1mg or so) in addition to your pain meds for pain relief after surgery?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK, dropped again last night to 1 mg. This is the dose I hope to stabilise on before surgery. I'm not feeling well this morning but I think that's due to something else. But putting my Seabands aka barf bands on has eased my uncomfortableness, so who know, maybe it's the drop from 1.5 to 1 that kicks me in the teeth. I hope not.
Anyway, happy day before Mother's day to all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

% days at 1 mg, really doing surprisingly well. Hope it keeps going as well as it has...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 pm 

Good job on your taper! I hope you keep us informed about how the surgery goes and how you manage the pain. When you spoke with the surgeon and anesthesiologist did they seem informed about how suboxone changes pain management? Do they know that you will require more medication than the usual patient?

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, Amy. Happily, my doc is a friend. He has been aware I was on suboxone since I started it. Get this - the RB reps came to his office and tried to talk this very popular and busy OB/GYN into becoming a Suboxone doctor "for extra income". He said thanks but no thanks. So much for RB focussing on addictionologists...
<rant> My husband and I had a talk with my doc about 6 weeks ago, and gave him the information DR Junig and others published here. He is on board to prescribe large doses for the 2 weeks I choose to use narcotics - if I need them that long. Best of all, 30 minutes after we met with my doc, the anesthesiology chief from the hospital he chose called me to discuss "how we usually do pain meds for suboxone patients". That gave me huge relief. They are going to put in spinal morphine before the surgery starts, use general anesthesia for the surgery, and then use a PCA (the push button pain pump) if that isn't sufficient. She assured me, "We have staff in house 24 hours a day. If we have to come and put an epidural in at 0200 we will do it. We will manage your pain well". My doc chose this particular hospital over one of the larger ones in my city because they treat addicts better than at the larger hospital.
As I get closer to May 29th, I'm going to post a request for prayers. I am a firm believer - it's what's keeping me in One Day at a Time right now.