It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh one more thing, I started poking around the SMART recovery site... what a world of different thinking from AA. I found a good article on more modern recovery approaches, which is kind of how SMART views things I think

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... ew-quitter

I'm in no way saying its better than AA, I just think for me this might be the way to go... wonder if they have any meetings locally ??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Prozak! I have been checking out the SMART recovery as well for a while. I really like what they stand for. I was unfortunately in an AA rehab and it kinda turned my off (just too preachy for me) I would say that SMART is more for me because it is seem like its a science based program and not so spiritual (religious). We have one here in town that I was thinking about checking out myself. Let me know what you think if you attend a SMART meeting.

I so need to find a group of people that are welcoming to Suboxone ORT. I would like to attend a meeting and not have to lie. But I will if that is what I must do. I think SMART is a def a good way to go especially if you want something other than AA.
The only problem i am running into is the availability. There just seems to not be that many available.

Good luck to you and keep posting!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did find a local meeting in my town. I might go check it out, its on wed nights. I will definitely report back my input.

Oh and I looked at the suboxone taper chart and I filled in my last 30 days of doses to the best of my memory, and it showed I still should have had trace amounts in my system for 12-16 days after the last dose of .25mg. this stuff is crazy and lasts for ever in you... unreal. even just taking .5 mg daily builds up to a staggering 2.2mg in your system... so I put 2.2mg in day 1 then .5 for a week and .25 for 10 days. and zero for the rest of the 30. thats gives you a really clear picture of just how long this stays in your system. and to think when I first got on and was taking 4mg a day I thought skipping a day to get high would have some sort of effect... you would have to skip 2 weeks!

So this explains why I went back into WD after 14 days off sub when I took the naltrexone. Now my question is, does naltrexone force the sub off the receptors ? should I be able to take it now ? or should I wait a few more days ?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I wouldnt stress about taking naltrexone unless you want to, its just my opinion so you can do what you feel is best for your needs but I seriously think its kind of irresponsible for doctors to put people on that crap right after they get off sub. When you quit sub after long periods of being on it you want your receptors to start the healing process and I'm no expert but it just seems to me like naltrexone would hinder that process and just get in the way. If it works by stopping opiates from working (releasing a flood of endorphins) than how would it not also block the production of natural endorphins as well? They probably push it on patients so they can get a nice fat payment from the insurance company vs doing it because they are concerned you could relapse. Anyway good luck with whatever you choose, I hope to one day be in your shoes and off bupe as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So today is day 20 I think. Just checking back in. Physically I feel good. getting some bouts of depression or self pity. Hopefully it goes away at some point. My stomach is still all messed up... thats getting old.. but they say the diarrhea can last months.. i could take immodium but it makes my stomach feel pregnant.. lol. makes the food just sit in my stomach. The only other lingering thing is the sleep, some nights are ok, some not. I always seem to sleep for 3-4 hours and wake up... sometimes I can get back to sleep sometimes I cant. I want to take the advice of people saying sleep when im tired but dont fight it if I cant sleep. however, I cant sleep when I feel tired because its usually when im at work or watching the children. Oh well ... its nothing I cant deal with, just minor blips. It will get better with time.

and bup... I think I'm going to pass on naltrexone and vivitrol for now. If I start drinking a lot I will reconsider, but after doing the smart recovery a little, I think I should be good if I stick with that.