It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

MMMMK...I have been reading on here for what seems like hours, so I'm going to make this short and sweet :D

Having a pretty extensive surgery done in 10 days ("re-brake" my ankle, scope of arthrosis, cartilage transplant from knee to ankle, bone graft from my hip, achilles tendon lengthening...my favorite!)

Have been on Suboxone for just about 4 years.

Have tapered (thanks to all the wonderful advice on liquid tapering) down to about .8-1mg./daily which I am SUPER proud about!

So,questions are: At this low dose, what should I expect? Also, we would LOVE to get pregnant again, but not until I am completely finished with this surgery AND suboxone...so, can I turn this awful thing into an opportunity to get off of Suboxone with minimum withdrawal?!?!

I have shared with my surgeon, nurses, and anesthesiologist all of this...but just like most of the other posts, they aren't "familiar" with any of it.

Thank you in advance for ANY opinions! I am SO grateful for this site!

Post subject: Hi Sparkie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I don't know about the pregnant part but, as far as surgery is concerned you found the right person.

Let me see if I can explain this to you. First of all, Hi, I am Queenie. I am a 68 yr. old grandmother & addicted to opiates as a result of many surgeries & emotional problems. If you want to read my posts, you will read a lot of my fear of surgery while on Subs.

I have had 6 bypass grafts of both legs and they both had to be amputated anyway. One in 2009 & the other this past April. Last month I developed an infection at the amputation site and had to go through yet another surgical procedure to debride the infection. VERY painful.

O. K. Now to get to the Suboxone. Luckily, you have really tapered down. Congratulations, that is awesome. IMO, if you stop the Subs 2 days before surgery & they give you some painkillers before surgery, you will be fine. Do you know if you will be admitted? After surgery, you will definitely get pain medicine. Since everyone is different, you must speak up & say what works for you & what does not. I had 3 surgeries while on Subs. My Sub doctor told me to stop the subs 2 days before. I was o.k. When I was admitted they gave me 2 percocet every four hours before surgery. After surgery they gave me Dilaudid. It would wear away very fast. I told them & they changed it to Morphine. It worked but I still had pain. the rest of my hospital stay was good(23 days for the amputation & 6 days for the infection) because finally they tried Oxycontin 50 mgs. every 12 hours & Percodan every four hours and Ambien 10 mgs for sleep They sent me home with the same meds and I slowly weaned off as the pain got better. I waited about 18 hours & went back to Subs with no problem. I felt fine. Let me say that I am on a much higher dosage of subs than you. I am on 8mgs. in the a.m. & 8 mgs. in the p.m. So you should do much better.

Make sure you keep telling them you have been on Subs for 4 yrs. I can't tell you how many times I heard "Suboxone? What's that?" Very frustrating but I kept telling them & telling them. I told them to call my Sub doctor. I gave them literature I printed about surgery on Suboxone. I don't know how to post the link but I'm sure one of the other members will do it for me. Aggravate them to death but keep telling them & explain what Sub is for and that it blocks your receptors and you need extra pain meds.

I hope I have been able to help you be more at ease. I don't mean to ramble on & on but it is important that you keep reminding them you are on Suboxone. If Hatmaker answers your post, she can giv,e you good advice. She is a moderator & knows much more about this than I do. I'm just telling you my experience. Again everyone is different..

I wish you the best of luck & I sincerely hope you can stop the subs all together & have a wonderful, beautiful, healthy baby. I think you can do it.
Good luck & please stay with us & let me know how it turned out for you.

Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sparkie and welcome to the forum. The first thing I want to refer you to read is an NIH (National Institutes of Health) article about treating acute pain in suboxone/methadone patients. Here's the link to that thread: (http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=27727#27727). It's a really easy-to-read article with 7 pages of references. It offers a few different ways to go about treating acute pain in us folks on suboxone. Definitely read and print this out and make copies for each of the doctors involved in your care. You might also want to get your sub doctor and your surgeon(s) together to discuss your care.

It's my opinion (non-medical) that since you're on such a low dose of sub that you should get much better pain relief from full agonists than a person on a higher maintenance dose of suboxone.

Normally it's suggested to taper down as low as possible before the procedure/surgery and then stop the suboxone about 3 days before the procedure. But again, since you're on such a low dose, the taper isn't really necessary. If possible, you could just stop the sub as far ahead of the surgery as possible. Some doctors will have their pre-op patients stop their sub more than 3 days before and they put them on full agonists ahead of the surgery, that way you also won't have to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping the suboxone before the surgery.

I hope that made some sense. If you have more questions, just ask. And good luck with the surgery.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sparkie- hope your surgery go's very well !! ya , I"m on subs for 15 months of 16 mgs. had hernia surgery,
and like queene 1959 said. i to stop't suboxone 2 days before i took 80 mgs of oxycontin 5 days before surgery.
surgery went well with no problems what so ever ! queene 1959. its great to read your post. I was born in 1959-- :lol:
how long you been on suboxone. thank you God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank yall so much! I am amazed at how quickly the support comes in around here! It is so helpful to hear from people that have been there and I am very appreciative!

I am definitely getting extremely nervous about the whole deal...in fact I was very close to calling and canceling today.

It's hard going into something like this when you know you will be hurting like crazy afterwards! I have read some of these stories on here about the horrendous pain they had afterward because of being on the suboxone. I am really hoping that my dose is low enough that I won't be dealing with that. I am only 28 years old, with two little ones, and a full-time demanding job. This makes it pretty difficult to stop the suboxone entirely! I just got my "pre-op" phone call from the hospital telling me all of my instructions...one of them being to stop the suboxone 5 days prior. I know it seems crazy to have a hard time with only taking 1 mg. a day, but man! That stuff is strong! I have been on it since July 2007, and started with 16mg daily, so I am proud that I have came this far, but I would like to be rid of it completely!

Thank yall so much again!

Post subject: Sparkie !!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

The nice thing about staying on Suboxone ( 1mg ) is you will not experience euphoria ( or that warm opiate feeling ) when you take your pain pills.. My Suboxone Dr.( a 65 yr old shrink ) who is very smart would never allow me to stop Suboxone, when I told him about my neck pain and needing some mild opiate meds he jumped out of his chair and told me he has a lot of patients who need pain pills and all of them stay on a small dosage of Suboxone... I BET YOUR HAPPY NOW THAT YOU TAPERED, Good Luck and stay off your foot , Mike

Post subject: pain ex-
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sparky". i don't no why 5 hoe days. i was on 16mgs and only waited 2 days? but your surgery may be more difficult i guess.
but what Hatmaker said, about the very low dose that you are on. don't worry!! good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can be on Suboxone while pregnant. How soon do you want to get pregnant? I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. It sounds like an intense one. I hope you recover quickly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, it's perfectly safe to be on suboxone while pregnant, although most women are switched to subutex (the buprenorphine medication without the naloxone in it). In fact it's safer to stay on it than it is to go off it while pregnant. Just wanted to clarify that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Re Scared/Surgery
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

1st...best of luck to you on your surgery,the advice given to you here was dead on.And the NIH site that hatmaker referred you too is excellent.I carry those documents in my wallet in case of an emergency,I think any body on subs should.It gives the docs a much better understanding.You may want to bring a copy to show your doctor.All the best to you! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for clarifying that one can be on Suboxone while pregnant. I'm not sure why I thought otherwise. I see why it would be more difficult to get off the medication completely rather than staying on it while pregnant. Withdrawls and pregnancy probably aren't the most pleasant mix. I guess it's all about finding the golden rule that works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas on this one. Please keep posting about such articles as they really spread useful information. Thanks for this particular sharing. I hope it stays updated, take care.