It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm new to this topic and new to suboxone. I started it two days ago after weining myself down from 210mg of Oxy per day, plus a Fentanyl 100 patch every 48 hours. I am recovering from serious gastrointestinal issues of which I had multiple surgeries, as well as a total knee replacement earlier this year which took way too long to recover from. But, the time has come for me to stop taking the meds and get my family life back together, that is if my wife and family will be able to look past this dark time.

I was able to go from 7 pills to a half pill twice a day in about 10 days. I also went from the full patch down to about .25 of a patch during this time. I only suffered withdrawal the last night before starting the suboxone. But I cured it with promethazine and slept through the worse part. I went into the doctors office being off opiates for 24 hours feeling like crap. I took the first 8mg in the office and started to feel better an hour later. I took the second 8mg in the early evening and all was well.. I slept through the night and today was a great day! I didn't even want to take he subox, but did under direction of the doctor. I also took another 8 later today but didn't feel that I needed to. I have been off of the pills for 60 hours and 23 minutes as of right now and feel great! The best I have felt in a very long time.. I have a clear head, but more importantly feel repentant for what the meds did to me. Physical pain is now irrelevant to me. I can never take another pill, ever again.. I would have stopped a long time ago, if it wasn't for the withdrawal. But it hasn't been bad..

So my questions to the community here are these.. First, am I just kidding myself here in regards to how well I think I'm doing? And am I heading for a crash? And two, as a lot of people seem to write... Should I limit myself NOW with the amount of suboxone I'm taking? My doctor told me I was not addicted, but simply dependent on the opiates. I never took more than what was prescribed per day and sometimes took less. I'm scared to death of what the next couple of weeks will bring, but I also have a great feeling in me that I finally beat this thing. I am very highly motivated to succeed, and have a lot at stake to lose if I ever go back, outside of recovery from surgery or a serious accident and being treated in a hospital. I have no desire to take the pills to get high, and actually don't remember ever getting high from them... But that could also be part of the problem. I don't drink, or use any other recreational drugs.

So here I am.. Waiting to finish healing.. Wanting it to happen overnight.. I realize that's not possible, but I have come a very long way, very quickly.. I just need to finish this journey and put it behind me, and hope and pray to God that my wife still finds a way to love me after all this.. I miss her so.. :(

Thanks for listening to my story...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:08 am 

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find the help you are seeking here.

There are a couple of things that aren't adding up for me after reading through your post. I'm not saying you're lying at all. I just need some clarification.

Your doctor has told you that you are not addicted to pain meds, but you are dependent on them (or were dependent). You say that you have always taken the medication as directed and you have never gotten high. All of this is possible, for sure. But what doesn't add up for me is that you somehow alienated your entire family along the way.

I would say that typically, when a spouse/parent is in chronic pain from multiple surgeries and knee replacement the rest of the family is empathetic about the pain their loved one is in. If you weren't acting high/over-medicated in front of your family, why are you estranged from them? You say that your time on pain meds was a dark time. Why?

You also make a statement that confuses me: "I have no desire to take the pills to get high, and actually don't remember ever getting high from them... But that could also be part of the problem. I don't drink, or use any other recreational drugs." How could that possibly be part of your problem?

No, it is not unusual for a new suboxone user to feel very good about life and optimistic about the future! For a lot of us suboxone takes away the obsessive thoughts about when the next dose is, whether you have enough to make it to your next appointment, etc.

From what I can tell you take 16mg of sub per day. That dose seems reasonable given the amount of opiates you were on. The lower your dose, however, the less likely you are to experience any specific side effects from the sub. That can be worth keeping your dose on the low side, like 8mg.

I hope that this helps! I really feel like we need more information about your time on pain medication to answer your questions more fully.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy,
My wife was concerned that I was taking them after what would be a normal rehabilitation time from the surgeries. And she was pretty much correct. I took them primarily because I was still in pain, and because I was afraid of withdrawal. Yes, I could have started the suboxone earlier, but I didn't. It probably was more convenient to just get more pills, then to try and stop. My intentions were never mischievous, but ended up turning out that way. And I know I was wrong. My wife would tell me that I looked like I was nodding off at times, but I told her I was tired. I never intended to be high, but I'm sure that at times I was. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never intended to be where the medication has got me. And that is being dpendant on it... I just want out.. And I am finally done.. 68 hours without a pill as of right now. And no desire to take one.

I've taken 16mg of the subox the past two days.. I want to limit it as much as possible as I don't want to be dependent on the subox.. But is that really the smart thing todo? I want out of all meds as quickly as possible. Thanks...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're an addict, then we would usually suggest you stay on Suboxone for a while to get a grip on your addiction. Addiction is a destructive set of behaviors that usually require a fair amount of time and some hard work to overcome.

If you're simply dependent on pain meds, you could certainly use Suboxone just as a detox tool. Used as a detox tool, you would go from your induction dose and quickly start tapering your dose down over the next week or two until you were off completely.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Romeo ... That was what I was hoping to hear. I'm glad to say that I am now over 100 hours without a pill ( Oxy) or Fentanyl Patch. I can honestly tell you that I do feel different. I started on 16mg of subox on Wednesday and today am down to 8mg. The doc told me to split them in half, so I took half this morning and half tonight. I'm gonna cut to 6 tommorow and to, 4 on Monday and see how I feel. I have had no signs of withdrawal. I don't mean to gloat here, but I'm very happy with my progress.

I took a home drug test today and it said I was positive for meth, thc, and the opiate window was barely visible.. But that still counts as a positive, so I should be clean by Monday at noon when I go back to the doctor for a follow up. But it was funny about the meth and pot.. I just attributed it to the subox or something, or possibly the Zofran I have for nausea.

I was scared to death when I started this journey, and I'm quite surprised at how easy it has been. Believe me when I say that I am scared that all this is going to come crashing down via some kind of delayed withdrawal.. I pray that never happens.