It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: ANITA IS BACK!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:20 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi everyone! It's been a long long time. Remember, I had just come to the site when I started sub and then 4 weeks later, my beloved husband gets diagnosed with cancer! Yikes, what a ride it has been. Chemo/radiation and now he is recovering from a major surgery. This is a life altering deal for sure, but he had a great response to treatment so i remain very hopeful. Still, it is a scary scary thing to go through. One day you think you are perfectly fit, and the next day you start chemo . Crazy is all I can say.
So, the good news on my end is that I was having so much trouble with the film getting an even dose and then lo and behold I started to develop a big allergy to it in my mouth and had to switch to the tabs. Well, now that I am on the tabs, I am getting better absorption, lasting longer. I rarely have the ringing in my ears, or muscle/eye twitches and visual disturbances. Once in a while I get the tremor. So, I am now starting to taper, real slowly. I'm down from 12 mg to 10 mg on the tabs and I'll lower it every 2 weeks. I can't believe how much better the tabs work for me than the film. Not sure how I'll handle it at the low doses, maybe have to do the sterile water trick. So, that's my story. I'll post in my journal now and then. I got my honey through the worst part of the cancer therapy so now I have to refocus on my stuff and continue the taper. I'd like to be off of it in 9 months and feel well enough to look for work within a year. Does that sound like a reasonable goal ? Thanks and Happy Holidays to you all Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sounds like a reasonable goal, yes.

I'm so glad you and your husband made it through the treatment and that so far he's doing well. In fact I'm thrilled to hear it. I can only imagine what it's been like for you. Keep up the good fight. And happy holidays to you as well. Thanks for the update.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: less less less we go!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Update on my taper. Well, leave it to me to find answers in the tabs. Why on earth the film did not work for me I'll never get, but as soon as I moved to the tabs I am doing great. I now have gone over the past few weeks that is down to 6 mg from 12 mg. I know the difficult drops are right around the corner. Seems I'm only needing about a week before a drop and sometimes I did a 2mg drop. I shall be much more conservative when I get below 4mg. Is this rather common to go smoothly from the top but be prepared for some bumps as I head down to 2mg? Anyone want to chime in on their experience with tapering and how it was like for them as they drifted below the ceiling. RIght now I feel like a lot of said it's supposed to feel. As in I'm not having interdose withdrawal and really no symptoms of w/d at all. If I have them, they are incredibly minor and I just notice them and ignore them. THey don't interfere whatsoever.
Well, just wanted to share some good new years news.
Anita

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: another update
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi everyone, hope the new year is starting out good for you all. I have a quick update. First, my husband who is recovering from cancer continues to do well and we are so grateful for that. It was such an awful time going through the treatment and then surgery 2 months ago. He is gaining energy and able to eat better and life feels a little more normal again. I'm happy to say that the tabs continue to work for me. My dr. dropped me down to the 2mg tabs and I am now on 5.5 mg total a day and am continuing with the slow taper. My pain is still under good control as well. So if anyone has bad absorption issues with the film, I vote for trying the bupenorphine tabs.
Well, all for now.
Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Anita,

It's good to hear from you again!

That's fantastic news about your husband. It's so good to hear that he's eating better and getting some energy back.

About your taper, you're doing so good....you slowed it down when you needed to and you're going at YOUR pace, good job!

Post subject: Re: another update
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anita wrote:
Hi everyone, hope the new year is starting out good for you all. I have a quick update. First, my husband who is recovering from cancer continues to do well and we are so grateful for that. It was such an awful time going through the treatment and then surgery 2 months ago. He is gaining energy and able to eat better and life feels a little more normal again. I'm happy to say that the tabs continue to work for me. My dr. dropped me down to the 2mg tabs and I am now on 5.5 mg total a day and am continuing with the slow taper. My pain is still under good control as well. So if anyone has bad absorption issues with the film, I vote for trying the bupenorphine tabs.
Well, all for now.
Anita

Hi Anita. So happy to hear about your husband. I'm sure that was an awful time for you!!!

The drops may not get tough for a while. If I could redo one part of my taper, I would have pushed faster at the higher doses, because there were times I waited longer than I needed to, thinking I could maintain that pace. Then, it was a big surprise at some point when it took so long to adjust to one tiny drop. So, my advice is to drop as much as you can without making yourself sick. If you get symptoms, then you are going too fast and need to stop while. In my case, in less than 3 months I went from 8 to 2 mg. Then, it took me 7 months for the remaining 2 mg, lol.

Oh, and another good piece of advice is that if you drop and find out you dropped too far and need to go back up, just go up a small amount. You may be surprised when it's enough. For example, if you dropped from 4.5 to 4 and needed to go up, try 4.25 (or alternating 4 and 4.5). Make sense?

Really, really happy to hear about your husband. Good luck with your taper and good job so far!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Thanks Ladder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:39 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Laddertipper,
Thanks so much for that advice. I would like to be done with the taper by the time my husband returns to work ( around June) so I'll take you up on that suggestion. All those little points of advice and your expertise, help so much. And, thanks for your kind words about my husband... it's still so scary but we're working through it all.
I'll keep ya posted and I have been surprised about how I'm tolerating the drops. Once my receptors got quieted down with the switch from film to tabs, that is what I've noticed- that I haven't noticed much with each drop and I've been able to decrease a little faster than recommended. But I so want to succeed so I'm gonna take it real slowly when I get to those tiny doses like you all say.
Anita

Post subject: Hey Romeo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks so much for the encouragement and kind words about my husband. It's been a crazy ride and to have some success now with the taper feels great. The advice here is so helpful and we are so fortunate for all of you who stick around and keep us going.
Anita

Post subject: taper update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi everyone,
Just want to post how my taper is going. It is going well and much of that is from what I have learned on this site. I am now down to 3.75 mg a day and so far it has been very comfortable. Once I switched from the film to the tabs, things got so much better. As I said in another thread, I wasn't absorbing the film at all and also I had developed some sort of oral infection from the film. I'm making really small decreases of 0.25 mg about every 2 weeks so that averages out to 0.5 a month. I'm not in a hurry and so far, I've had few symptoms and the worst of what I had- the ringing in my ears and the tremors have greatly diminished. I know the hard part is yet to come, but I am encouraged. The down side is that I have a pain condition and just not sure yet what I'll be on for pain that will be better for me. So just wanted to update. Life is a little calmer right now and again, thanks for the support. I hope this journal will help others too.
Anita

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:45 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HI everyone,
I just checked my journal to see where I was last time I posted which was in Feb. and I was at 3.75. Doing pretty well with the taper. I stayed at 3.0 for 6 weeks. It actually took me that look to not have symptoms. I guess that was maybe my ceiling. Now I'm down to 2.5 and I think soon I'll bring it down to 2.0 I might switch to the bupe patch then. I'm on the bupe pills and dosing 3x a day which works well for me. Gosh- I just read substations thread about a successful jump at 12 mg. Amazing that he did that and made it! Congrats substation if you read this. I understand the temptation to do that but I think it would be a disaster for me.

I'm taking it very slowly and it's obvious with my pain condition that I'll need to find some other med cuz the breakthrough pain is definitely starting. We're thinking Amyitriptyline.

Also want you to know that my husband continues to do well - some definite ups and downs with his cancer recovery but we're getting there. This year has been a wild ride.

I lurk a lot but haven't posted in a long time. So thankful for the support and education here.

AniTa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Anita, always good to hear from you and I'm glad you decide to swing back by the forum and update us on your taper. You're a perfect example of how a taper does not need to be rushed. You're doing it in your time and I think that's wonderful. I hope your husband continues to do well.

I just wanted to give you a little hope about the pain issue, I got on pain pills after a fall, I shattered both ankles, broke both legs and broke my left arm. I ended up going through 7 surgeries to get all put back together again. I experienced pain all the while I was on pain meds, I experienced pain while on Suboxone, although while on Suboxone, my pain was better, BUT when I got off Suboxone my pain almost all went away. It took several weeks off of Suboxone before I realized what was going on. Nowadays, I may take Advil once or twice a week at most. As far as I know, I suffered from opiate induced hyperalgesia. Do a quick google search for opiate induced hyperalgesia, they'll explain it a lot better than I would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey Romeo,
Thanks so very much for your input and wow... you broke a lot of stuff! I'm so glad to hear that you are better. I know I am experiencing more pain right now as I taper and I do think some of that is opiate induced. That is one huge reason too that I want to see what my baseline is. I have some nerve damage so it remains to be seen, but you are right that it might improve and that is my hope. I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing. And after reading about some of these fast tapers, it sure sounds tempting, but I don't think my physiology would permit it. So, "steady as she goes" and I'll keep everyone posted. I think we all learn from each person's individual experiences here. I know that Ladder sure motivated me with her slow taper, so thanks, Ladder. When you see how one person can do it, and then another, and another.. it is motivating and reassuring. And likewise, if people are doing well on their individual stable doses- that is reassuring too.
As always, thanks for this supportive forum,
aNiTa :wink:

Post subject: Checking In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:42 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi everyone,
Well.. things are continuing to go pretty well. ( A little superstitious to write this but here goes). I am now down to 2.0 mg. I am cutting up one 2mg tab and I take it 4 times a day. I have had few symptoms except for the awful bone pain at night and I wake up not so great but then things progress throughout the day. Not surprised to find that my underlying pain condition is acting up but not enough to initiate other meds yet. My dr. has some others he wants to try once I'm off this. So, just wanted to let you know that the slow taper is working well so far and I'll be re-reading Ladder's journal as well as others to help me as I continue decreases. So, thanks you guys for taking the time to write details. And I'll do the same in an effort to pay it forward.
All my best,
aNiTa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update, aNITa. After all you went through in the beginning, it's so good to hear that you're STILL doing well with your plan. Keep up the great work and keep on keeping us posted every so often. Hang tough, my friend. :mrgreen:

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:09 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks so much BIG HAT !! :lol: