It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi there,
Anyone notice having anger problems on Suboxone?

Everytime I've been on suboxone for an extended period of time, I've been noticing problems with anger. Is this a normal side effect? Does it ever seem to go away?

I'm new to the forum and have been taking Suboxone (8mg film daily by doctor) for the last 12 and a half months. (I've been totally clean.) Overall I've been doing really well, but still having issues with depression and anxiety. (Not caused by the suboxone.) There have been other times in my life where I was clean and on suboxone, and it seems like everytime I start to have problems with anger, outbursts, and making irrational choices. I've NEVER had this problem before I started abusing opiates 9 years ago. I do understand that perhaps the anger is something that is already there and the suboxone isn't causing it.

Anyone else noticed that they started having anger problems when taking suboxone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello ORegonJunkyard, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about this side effect, if that's what it is.
I personally haven't had this problem. I seem to go the other way. I actually haven't even been angry since
taking suboxone.

I hope that you are able to find some answers. This has got to be frustrating for you. Please keep us updated
and I will keep you in my prayers. Good Luck to you, and again~Welcome[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man... YES I do know how you feel. When I was first introduced to buprenorphine (Subutex) when I was 17... I noticed it made me really irritable. Interesting thing is... for a while heroin had a similar effect. Sure I might have been stoned or on "the nod" ... but if I was on a tram or bus and someone pulled the cord to stop the bus and get off... I'd feel this anger bubble inside of me for them holding up me reaching my destination. That same irritability was felt across a whole lot of situations.

This time I went on Sub I noticed the same thing, however it did get better over time. I'd say now I don't experience it at all... in fact I experience the opposite - if I miss my dose or have reduced my dose .. I tend to get more irritable.

I do think that for some people, opioids in general can contribute to irritability. It's weird because on the one hand you feel calm and peaceful, yet you can feel really judgemental and irritable at the same time. This irritability actually led to one of my relationships breaking down. We were in a using relationship, but I managed to quit using Naltrexone while she kept using. In the end I dragged her to the doctor and got her on Suboxone. All of the sudden she just became really aggressive. We called it "bupe-cranky". I kept saying to her "baby you're bupe-cranky!!" and eventually when she'd calm down she'd acknowledge that the Suboxone was making her feel wound up...

Interesting thing I noted was ... I'd feel that same irritability on Naltrexone. Also, people who were injected with naloxone to rescue a heroin overdose often become really aggressive and angry at the paramedics. While that can largely be put down to precipitated withdrawal... I do think that antagonists do make people cranky in general.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on sub for coming up on 4 years and I haven't had that problem. Have you considered that it could be related to emotional issues from not being high after your active addiction drowned out your emotions during that time? This may or may not be you, but lots of people stuff their emotions by abusing opiates or they had experiences during their active addiction that they never had a chance to deal with (like the loss of a loved one or a marriage, etc). Now that they are sober, those feelings were never dealt with as a sober person come floating to the surface and get experienced. It could be something like that. Again, no one can say for sure if this applies to you, but it can happen this way for some people.

When it comes to emotions, they are just so complex and are effected by so many variables that it's difficult to boil them down to just one thing. This is just one possibility.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im in Oregon, too :wink:

you know, I never really pondered this too much,,,, but there were definitely times,especially early in treatment that I definitely had a 'short fuse'
And Im not totally sure why...... I have battled anxiety, too pretty bad. Whenever I get anxious,,,, I get a lil grumpy.
(okay,maybe alot) LOL

Anyways, like others have said, it could be a whole host of things. Im sorry your dealing with this, Im sure it IS frustrating.

Hopefully it will get better with time. My anxiety got much, much better with excersise, which in turn helped my over-all irritabililty I think.

Good Luck

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for all your advice and sharing your wisdom and information. Glad to be here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi oregonyard- i stayed in portland for a few months to help a friend build the rest of his 30 foot boat. did not have a very good time there because he was in to drugs. i agree with hat. i have anger problems on suboxone more do to being more aware of my life.exc-