It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Been on subs for about 2 years now this year I decided I wanted to taper off. I was only take 8mg per day ( I have a wondeful dr ) and started weining around Jan. No sweat going from 8-4, didnt feel a thing, then I went to 2mg .. that was a little tough, little bit of leg kicking and chills but it subsided after a couple weeks and I was fine at 2. Went to 1mg after two weeks of 2mg no sweat... here is where it got sticky for me

I tried to go from 1mg every day to every other day.... I was in withdrawal the day I didnt take the sub...........it was bad enough that I didnt want to go thru that, so I started reading this forum and calling my dr. I have since gone down to 1/2 mg per day ( my dr prescribed clonadine if I need it and it does help) and its been one week at 1/2 and I am feeling fine with that. I plan on skipping a day this week ( I see my dr on tuesday) and seeing if its any better then when I tried before. One thing I will say about myself is I am a 48 yr old female but I lift weights and run daily and have for the past 15 yrs or so and working out really helps with the energy level ........ I have been pushing myself harder thru the withdrawal and it does seem to help. When my body starts hurting I hit my stairmaster even if its only a minute or two it helps the body aches and pains.

I will post again after I try to skip days this week and let you all know how that goes for me :).... I am hanging tough and know that in time I will be done with this

thanks for letting me share this

Post subject: Go Girl!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for posting about your experience, because I think it's absolutely true that exercise helps us get through the w/d symptoms. I'm at 1 mg now and just started going down from that. I'm kinda doing the same thing with the leg problems, although not as rigorous. I've been in shape my whole life, but it's friggin' COLD where we live now, so it's a bit intolerable to be out running, especially when there's snow or ice all over the ground. When the leg cramps and clammy sweats start up, I've been running up and down the stairs and doing 'killers' and then stretching after my muscles are all warmed up. It seems like it helps to release some of the tension in my legs and it gets my body temp back under control. I had no problems with my legs up until recently. Oh, I also started playing the Wii Michael Jackson game and some of the other dance games, just to make it fun. Exercise is the golden key. It's the answer.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Cold does make it hard to get out and run but running up and down steps will do the trick...... when you mentioned the wii and doing something fun that helps too...... I been going out on my motorcycle when I can ( to cold today) but that too does help ............when I am riding my head is in a totally different place and I dont feel so miserable.

I am thinking maybe go for a pedicure this week if I have a bad day and sit in the massage chair............ this is a really big deal for me to be able to kick this ( I just kicked cigarettes three months ago and this was next) .........and feel ok after it so I guess I am trying to mentally prepare and tell myself that I can get thru this.

Thanks for the pat on the back its hard for people who have never been on this to really get what its like to go thru this.

I was on methadone before I was on subs and I ended up in the hospital for two weeks just from the withdrawal of methadone
for the days before they would give me suboxone... and I definitely didnt want to go thru that again

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:50 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi mg and welcome :) Glad to hear that you have great doctor (I do too) and that you are pushing through this. I don't think I'm going to get thru my taper without ANY w/d symptoms but like you, I intend to do everything I can to push on through. I want to be completely off Subs by July 1.
I'm doing good so far but keep reading stories like yours of people getting to minute doses and having problems. I have a friend who jumped off 4 mgs day and did really well...and then I read of folks having problems coming off of .5 mgs....I don't know what to think!

We are all different and I think the experience will be different for us all. Attitude, a positive outlook and pushing through minor discomfort with exercise, rest and healthy eating (lots of water) should mean success for us all.
I look forward to seeing how you do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:54 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi mg and welcome :) Glad to hear that you have great doctor (I do too) and that you are pushing through this. I don't think I'm going to get thru my taper without ANY w/d symptoms but like you, I intend to do everything I can to push on through. I want to be completely off Subs by July 1.
I'm doing good so far but keep reading stories like yours of people getting to minute doses and having problems. I have a friend who jumped off 4 mgs day and did really well...and then I read of folks having problems coming off of .5 mgs....I don't know what to think!

We are all different and I think the experience will be different for us all. Attitude, a positive outlook and pushing through minor discomfort with exercise, rest and healthy eating (lots of water) should mean success for us all.
I look forward to seeing how you do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Aqua... today is day 8 that I am on .5 mg, thought I might try to skip ( I see my dr tomorrow) today but after a few hrs I needed the .5 mg so I took it maybee I need another week at the .5.....I am thinking maybee try again this weekend when I am off work. I was reading the liquid detox that is posted on the top here and wondered if I could do that with the suboxone film or if you need to have a pill....
Even yesterday when I took the .5 mg I had the kicking leg thing going on at night... thank god for hot baths.

I am also thinking of breaking my workouts out to twice a day, like doing my weight lifting in the morning and running or cardio in the evening.. I am going to try that today if I do cardio in the evening it might just make my body to tired for me to feel the skin crawling leg kicking feelings that happen at night :) we will see I will report back ... ohh one other thing that I do which helps... about an hour before my workout, I drink a creatine drink and take a vitamin b12 and glutamine supplement, that always gives me the energy push I need to make it to the gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:09 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

mg, I've read that our brain has to get rid of the extra receptors that use the sub as we go down...and that can take 4-15 days. So yes, you might want to stay on the .5 longer.

I see my doctor later this week...I'm very anxious to show him how well I've done this month. I've dropped a lot more than we discussed last month...but only because it was comfortable for me. I don't mind some withdrawal but I want to minimize it by taking my time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks aqua that makes sense, now that you said that I remember my dr telling me to stay at two weeks when I go down, on one hand I want it to be over and I not a patient person but I am learning to be patient with the sub withdrawal :)
.... I guess I didnt become an addict who needed suboxone overnight and I am not going to get over it overnight either.....I also came to the conclusion that I wont beat myself up if it takes longer then I planned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

LOL ME, TOO! Soooo impatient....seems like when I made the decision to taper, I wanted off of it NOW! I'm still amazed that I am so determined to do this....I thought I might be on it the rest of my life. Once the epiphany hit me, it was like, GO, GO, GO! I even welcome w/d symptoms as a sign of my brain healing...how crazy is that? :)

I did 6 mg this morning and will do 4mgs this afternoon...planning on going to 4 and 4 on Wednesday. After that, starts the slow weaning....will take off 1 mg every 7-14 days. The only problem I have now is what to do with all these halves and quarters of pills! I wish I had strips to make it easier but I've got about seventy 8 mg pills left and I would very much like to not have to buy anymore. Hoping to completely get off with these 70 or so I have left (guess I need to count them).

Good luck to you mg....we will do this...I hope that we will come back and post ever so often after we make the jump to encourage others who are ready. There needs to be some very positive experiences for people to read about.

Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It seems clear to me that patience is most often not one of addicts' best qualities. I know exactly what you mean about wanting off NOW NOW NOW. This is an incredible exercise in patience and diligence, isn't it? I ended up with a bunch of tab scraps too, so I dusted them and I'm saving them to dip my finger in and put under my tongue when I'm down to an amount too small to measure. Just an idea.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My dr switche me to the film cuz he had a 75.00 off coupon he gave me which was good thru march and helped alot. I want to try the liquid taper method but not sure if it will work with the film in the water.

Being a recovering addict I am making a conscious effort to keep the drama out of the withdrawal and not get myself worked up on how miserable I feel and how hard it is and poor me in pain to stay clean ... lol instead I am thinking of the positive side.. its not that bad and there are things I can do to make myself feel better........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

mg113 wrote:
My dr switche me to the film cuz he had a 75.00 off coupon he gave me which was good thru march and helped alot. I want to try the liquid taper method but not sure if it will work with the film in the water.

Being a recovering addict I am making a conscious effort to keep the drama out of the withdrawal and not get myself worked up on how miserable I feel and how hard it is and poor me in pain to stay clean ... lol instead I am thinking of the positive side.. its not that bad and there are things I can do to make myself feel better........

Hey MG,

Welcome. I read all your posts and as I tell my football players I coach "Get Some!". It is scary to come off this stuff but to have the resolve and focus that you have is awesome. I to went to the strips recently and per my doc he said that they are much more accurate that pills are. Example, he said that you do not know in a pill exactly where the bup is spread out so you may be taking a half of a 8MG pill and be getting 2MG of bup or more in some instances so yeah, films. Canker sores though. Two in two weeks. That blows. Keep us posted and good job.

JL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mg,

Good job on your taper!! Don't push it too hard though, it'll push back when you're not ready for it and it could send you backwards some.

I'm glad to hear you're exercising, that should help you a bunch!! Leg exercises helped me with my RLS a LOT!!

That's so smart of you to 'keep the drama out of your wd' and 'not get worked up over how miserable you feel.' Opiate wd is SUCH a head game. The more you can keep your head out of it, the better off you'll be.

Overall you seem to have a really good attitude about it, that will help you so much right now AND when it comes time to quit. You can do this!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

wow what great people on this board thanks all of you... feeling flu like symptoms tonight, chills, achey, leg just took a clonodine but I am gonna keep calling it flu instead of withdrawal lol denial might help :)

I was going to go out on my motorcycle tonight but its a bit cold (40) so I will lay around the house and baby myself with lots of baths and hope tomorrow is better. I am taking the whole .5 in the morning so I start to feel it at night more....
today was also my "off" day in my workout rotation, I do have to rest my muscles one day a week at least .. I am sure thats part of why I feel crappier then most of the week its the only thing different I have done since going down not working out today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey mg,

I hope you realize what a MASSIVE achievement it is to have gotten to .5mg!! Do you realize how bad ass you are?? Well, wait a minute, if you were completely bad ass you would have rode that bike in 40 degree weather. You're still bad ass, just not a complete bad ass. :lol:

I'm serious, that's a huge accomplishment! .5mg......GREAT!

I had to laugh when you said you were treating all your symptoms as the flu instead of wd, then you said denial might help!! hahahaha, hey, you may have found a great use for that often maligned emotion denial!! Good for you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks Romeo...........I do have to remind myself that I did make progress going down to .5..... woke up feeling like crap today my bones were hurting but I sucked down coffee, took some b12 glutamine and then drank some creatine and hit the gym and I feel great right now, I am going to do my cardio run later this evening since working out seems to make me feel good ( spread out the feel good things lol)... still have my flu symptons (sneezing watery eyes) but the aches and pains are gone for now.

I go see my dr this afternoon also and its gonna be 50 degrees today so I think I will be getting on my bike to ride to my running spot :):) riding cures all lol

I did notice when I was taking my .5 mg that I wonder if it really makes it to my mouth since the piece is so small, I may try to dissolve the film in water tomorrow and see how that goes I picked up one of those baby syringes today.

I am hanging tough...... ya'll hang in there we will survive this too...............if my suboxone withdrawal pains are my biggest problem then life must be good :)

Post subject: mg113
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You're so much fun! I love riding motorcycles too. And the dune buggy. Now that it's warming up (as in 40-50 degrees, lol) I know all that fun stuff is right around the corner....so excited!

Romeo is right on. You ARE a bad ass for having gotten this far. Getting down the little increments at these tiny doses is the hardest part!! I have the films too, and I find they are very easy to cut up. I'm not sure if you have the 8's or the 2's. I have the 2-mg ones and I can cut them easily into 16 pieces by folding them in half and immediately unfolding them, then cutting or ripping that piece and repeating that process until I have itsy bitsy pieces to take. Make sure you wash and dry your hands very well before doing this. I'm also dosing using a pair of tweezers at this point because the pieces are so tiny. I'm personally planning on tapering to 1/16 of a films before I jump, which is 125 micrograms. I know that sounds ridiculous. I used to think that people who were on .5 mg should just stop the Sub already....it couldn't be that tough, could it? However, Sub has a lot of Bupe in it. I think Dr. J said it best when he said (and I'm paraphrasing) that Sub is a microgram drug in a milligram form. There's 2000 micrograms in 2 mg of Sub, and to discontinue Sub and not get too sick, it's a good idea to taper below 200 micrograms.

If I were you, I'd stay at .5 for three weeks before dropping, since it actually takes a full three weeks for the backlog of Sub from all your previous doses to get out of your system. Plus, then you will be very comfortable and save yourself a lot of struggle when you go down to .25 (which is what you're doing by alternating days). I'd probably also take .5 one day and then .25 the next for a while before going to alternating days. I also know that I'm super impatient with this and want it to be over, so I identify with those sorts of feelings and understand why you want to get 'er done. There's lots of us here to support you! And I really do appreciate how much you are stressing the exercise, because I just know I need to get into a serious regimen. It does help a lot.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thanks again ladder the tweezers make sense..............I will ask about the 2mg films when I go to dr today the pieces are soo teeny and I did plan on going down again to a quarter mg before I jump........and I do think I will take your advice and stay 3 weeks on the .5.

I just bought a new motorcycle on Friday still have my old one too lol, I will end up selling the old one I just want to ride my new toy and its been so damn cold.

I think I hit mid life crisis last year when I bought a bike ( the old new bike hehe I was a stunt rider and been riding since I was 16) and jumped out of an airplane all in one month lol. Then I decided I need a bigger bike ( 600cc was the old one) so I got me a 750 fully dressed :) thats my weaning 0ff suboxone present

the other part that makes it hard for me ( I know you all might not believe this) I work at home ( I do sales same job for 12 yrs) and its hard for me to fall into the drama of " poor me I dont feel good I will lay on the couch in between customer calls so I have to keep busy and move all day long or I will just become a chronic whiner :)
the creatine and supplements are priceless for me right now . I can handle pain from lifting weights, so when I work out I push harder to pain my muscles so that pain overcomes the wd pain.

I will for sure ask about the 2mg's today I have like 15 8mg left I would be happy to hand them over to the dr if he gives me 2's
thanks again you guys are the BEST.........

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I cannot believe you ride a 750. The workouts are evidently effective if you can handle that size bike. I mean.....GEEZ!!!! I'm not even gonna tell you what kind of bike I have. I'm pretty sure that even if I go to the gym every single day, I'd never be able to handle that. Plus, I'm too short anyway. :wink: Gotta give myself a break, though, because I never got on a bike until about 18 months ago. My parents didn't let us do anything that fun!! My kids all have bikes, lol. Well, my baby has a little quad, and she can do donuts, which is really cute to see because she's a teeny little blond girl.

Exercising absolutely helps the legs. It's like they are restless, so you have to give them what they want and wear them out or something. And stretching helps too. I'm doing that regularly. When I was a kid, I had bad growing pains (I should have been tall for having those things) and this feels so similar to that, as far as the chronic ache, ache, ache and the desire to constantly stretch.

My reward for all this tapering is going to be getting Lasik. I'm so excited about that.

Someone else on here suggested tweezers and I kinda thought that was overkill, but man...it works!! The little pieces go right where they are supposed to and stay there.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ladder I used to ride a 1500cc harely softtail :) been riding since I was 16 I am 5'5" 120lbs I am pretty small.. but I do have lots of experience riding I can ride anything pretty much.

Off to the dr now so hopefully he will write me script for 2mg strips I am bringing him the subs I have so he dont think I am doing anythign stupid with them

Talk to ya'll later

:)