It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I have just started suboxone therapy for the second time (did not fail the first time) and I need some solid info. on some things. I have found that two smaller doses of the strip help me more than one big dose as my doctor has prescribed it. The two small doses only equal about 1mg a piece and the Dr. thinks I should be on the full 8mg once daily. I would rather take less and hoard the rest for hard times or in case the clinic gives a uds and I get a false positive for anything (I know Im a bit paranoid) and am discharged as I had at the previous clinic. I know that it is a bit deceptive but I am always worried about being discharged for something that I havent done due to the last experience I had. My question is if the Dr. in question hasnt done a suboxone base line level lab. uds yet can I just take the prefered 1mg x2 daily instead of the 8mg x1 daily that is prescribed and him not be able to tell the difference when I do take the first suboxone uds.? Now I realize that people divert their meds and this is not a problem for me because I know what problems I had to go through to get them and I couldnt part with even one. I know that when the lab uds are done there is a metabolite that is shown that builds up over a period of time taking sub. and that "loading" can be detected in that way. However I wonder if I can take my prefered dose and then 4-5 days before start taking the recomended dose and not be detected? I need answers soon, please only leave serious answers! THANKS ALMOSThadENOUGH1979 :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm afraid that we aren't going to be able to answer your questions as accurately as you would like. There is no way of knowing exactly how detailed the tests your doctor is using are until it's too late. It is possible you will be busted, but also possible you won't. Personally, I don't think your desire to use a smaller dose is wrong as long as you aren't selling what you have left over. But, some doctors don't see it that way.

My recommendation, if you are determined not to tell your doctor what your plans are is this. Take your extra subs with you when you go in for your UA and at the next appointment when you will hear your results. This way, if the doctor does see that your levels aren't as high as they are supposed to be you can prove to him that you haven't been diverting meds. More than likely if your results are suspicious they will bring it to your attention and be sure you are aware that it shouldn't happen again. At that time you will have to re-think your plans.

My bigger concern would be figuring out exactly why I had failed the previous UA if I knew I had not been using whatever it showed. There is always a chance it was a fluke, or a bad test result, but there is also a possibility that something innocuous you had eaten or taken caused a false positive. Maybe you could spend some time figuring out what substances can cause false positives for whatever you tested positive for and try to prevent it from happening in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The first suboxone doctor that I had gave me four urine drug screens and all tested positive for benzos that I had taken before I enter the program. he discharged me not even a month after entering the program and I had taken Valium which days in your system longer depending upon the lot of variables. EITHER WAY HE DID NOT GIVE ME A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN HE LABELED ME AS NON COMPLIANT AND SENT ME ON MY WAY. That is why I am paranoid and always afraid that the bottom will fall out even though this is my second suboxone doctor and my second experience with the clinic I can't stand the thought of suffering that's why I'd rather stash the rest and take the minimal dose. it wasn't that I wasn't guilty of taking the benzos the Dr was just being pig-headed and not giving the vallium enough time to leave my system, not to mention my possible poor kidney funtion, inactive lifestyle, and the large cuantity injested before entering.
Enough on explaining my previous experience, I would really like to know if I could be able to take that minimal dose and then 4-5 days before my doctors appointment take the recommended dose and him not be able to tell the amount of Suboxone that I'm taking by my UDS. some of the things mentioned in the above reply, like what kind testing my doctor would be doing, I can answer. he told me this would not be a problem when I explain my past experience because he would be doing urine drug screen the point of care and toxicology testing in the lab to see what is in my urine and how much of it. I realize I am being a bit deceitful but I generally just need everyone's opinion on whether this could work or not. I and not selling the rest of my medicine or committing any criminal act I just want to be on the safe side. I will be taking my saved medicine to the doctor just in case he calls me out on it so Im not trapped up in that. Thanks for the idea! PLEASE HELP!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I cant be 100% here but when I wasn't consistent in my dose I would always worry about the UA...I remember the Dr telling me that they only detect that its in your urine, not exactly how much is in your urine. Theres way too many variables that would give them an inaccurate reading. I don't think youre doing anything wrong and bumping up the dose prior to a UA will screw you and leave you having to take that higher dose to ward off withdrawals. Sub is extremely powerful, something I didn't appreciate until I weaned off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As Q said, there really is going to be no way to give you an accurate answer. While it's likely that mellisa was given a simple positive/negative test that is a simple yes or no for a substance being present or not, some docs have bought into these very expensive - as much as $800 per test - quantitative UAs. They look at a variety of other factors although I've read many comments that they are little more than expensive hocus pocus further driving up the cost of healthcare. That said there is a reliable window and if you are taking 1/8th of your dose it well may show up as low for that window. There is simply no way to tell without giving it a try.

If 1 mg holds you that is the dose you should be on. If it were me and you don't think you can trust the doc or want a cushion for you and only you, I'd do the 1 mg and if pushed as to why you are showing low, only then produce the remaining sub and say you feel much better on this dose, we're getting nausea, very tired, stool issues, etc. on the higher dose so you cut back and we're going to talk with the doc about this, which is why you brought the left overs to your appointment.

It's sad to even have to suggest this but after a member here was wrongly discharged after being honest, I'm Leary to suggest someone take the chance without knowing the doc.

Wish I could give a positive answer but these tests are simply not that accurate.