It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not sure if this is the proper forum topic...

Ok so I have been on suboxone (4mg/24hrs) around 5-6 months, paying over 300$ a month including drs visit, so I ask the Dr if I could switch to subutex because it's alot cheaper, the dr says it goes against his protocol because it can be shot up, which Suboxone can be shot up as well, when I was on it back in 2012, I shot 8mg almost everyday, probally why my veins are so messed up. I didn't want to argue and figured it might be better not saying I use to shoot it up because then he might not give it to me. He then said they make generic suboxone that is cheaper and gave me the number of a pharmacy that has them, I called them and they said they have it for 120$ but they close in 5 mins, so the Dr writes me the script.

The next day I drive up there and the pharmacist explained he thought I was asking about just Buphenorphine, not with Naloxone, and said he doesnt have it but can order it and it will be in tomorrow. I did not have another dose to cover for another 24hrs, so I went to walgreens and they said they have a generic, I figured sweet I can save money and get it here.
After waiting an hour I pick it up for 190$ which I normally pay 108$ twice a month, I'm not exactly sure how much suboxone would be of I bought it all at once, it might be less then 190$ though. So that was quite agrivating, if I knew it was going to be that much I would have got regular suboxone, which I actually tried right then and said can I just get Suboxone and not this generic one, they replied they have to give me exactly what the dr wrote on my script, which I thought was really weird because Buphenorphine/Naloxone 2mg/.5mg is exactly what Suboxone is, so why would they say they can't do that?
After taking this for a few days, I am deffintly feeling a slight WD, which is really really strange. I can take 1/8th of 2mg film and feel fine for atleast 12-24hrs, so why am I feeling sick in 10-12hrs after a supposed dose of 4mg? And taking only 2mg I feel sick in about 5hrs.
These are the little orange pills A/14. Do not get them, I have read other people have the same problem!
Does anybody know what I can do? Should I call my dr, I have a al ready called the pharmacy, they can't do shit for me! Really pisses me off! I'm going to call Amneal tomorrow, if anybody else has had this problem, call Amneal as well, should I report it to the FDA as well? I took 5 of them today, they do have buphenorphine in them cause I can feel it now. I'm wondering if maybe it is displaced and the mixture is heterogeneous. I think the original pills were heterogeneous, I remember taking 1/4 of one and not feel anything one day, then take 1/4 the next day and getting put on my ass. So it is possible that when they are making the pills and it's all still wet that the buphenorphine stays in patches within the mixture so when they squirt it into the molds, some pills will have high levels of buphenorphine while others have little to none...

Generic pills usually are tested less frequent, some are not even tested at all, but when I'm paying the same amount for generic as I do the real thing, I expect to get something that compares to the original!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:52 am 

I don't know about molds and all that....I've never thought about it because I take strips and always have. I pay a lot too, 350 a month plus 28 strips a month at 9 dollars a piece. The only break I get financially is the coupon on the suboxone website. Instead of picking all my medicine up at once, I do it like u do because it's better for me financially that way.

I've thought, very briefly, about getting the generic but I've just decided against it. I don't wanna mess up what's obviously working for me. I don't even know how I'd do on absorbing the pill form because I'm not used to it. I did try plain buprenorphine for a few days one time, and I felt like I was feeling withdrawal. I was a mess. I know it's all the same medicine but I obviously wasn't doing something right lol. So since then, I'll just stick to what works for me. That's why I'm way to scared to switch to something cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

On average people absorb 30% of a dose of Suboxone Film. Different products will have different absorptions, which makes a huge difference in the amount of medication in your body.

Whether to prescribe plain buprenorphine is an issue that doctors disagree about. In Wisconsin the goodrx app now covers 60 of the 8 mg buprenorphine tablets for less than $100, so it is difficult to require uninsured patients to take a combination product costing 4 times more. But at the same time, uninsured patients should GET insured, obamacare, or medicaid--- because good health benefits from access to medical care.

The goodrx app is also great for people with high deductibles. And no-- I'm not getting paid to say this!!! Not sure how they do it, but I can even get the psych med Abilify for less than $100 with that app.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I didn't like the Amneal generic either. You may have to stick with it for this month. Make sure to take it properly. Don't talk or swallow while dissolving and take right away in he morning when your mouth is the driest. Chew and use your tongue to spread the medication to all mucus membranes in your mouth then try not to swallow for 30 minutes. Through trial and error I was able to make this generic work for me. I currently use the Roxanne generic which works for me but had best luck with the Actavis generic. I take the 2 mg tablets, which in my area, are only about 10 to 15 percent less than Suboxone strips- and if you have a coupon, strips would probably be cheaper. Just my personal experience and good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This same exact thing happened to me about a month ago. I made the mistake of talking my Dr. Into prescribing the generic sub pills. At the time I was on 4mgs/day (1/2 an 8mg). Right after switching not only did these AMNEAL manufactured generics not kick in near what 4mgs should feel like, what very little effect it did have would wear off in about 4-6 hrs, not into just not feeling like I had anything on board but into complete withdrawal! I kept trying again and again make it work and the worse it got. I questioned and was convinced that not only are do these pills not really contain 8mgs of buprenorphine, they wore off so fast and drastically I wondered if it was a completely different shorter acting drug. 4 supposed MG's of these felt about like 0.5-1mg of the old name brand stopsign sub's. I asked to be put back on the strips my next appt. and they definately work better but still no where near as well and potent as the old name brand "N8" stopsign shaped sub's. I've just had to get used it cause I have no choice but Im still convinced there's something, if not shady, then at least assinine going on somewhere along the line. I continue to get strips that vary in thickness and e en taste. Sometimes it says manufactured for Reckitt Benkiser and others it says Invisior. The thicker strips I some times get don't dissolve properly and just turn into this gummy garbage even after leaving them in for an hour plus and they don't kick in or last leaving me in moderate WD after abt 6 hrs. I know without a doubt something was wrong with those amneal generics to a ridiculous and seemingly criminal underdosed extent. I emailed the FDA about and am still trying to figure out what can be done about this. Ive been having problems with my strips working as often too like I said but still are def better than those god awful gen. "A14" pills. The only semi-logical conclusion I can get to is that through all the bad press lately theyve come up with some bs deal where your doctor tapers or lowers your dose "blindly" like a weak placebo type detox. I can't imagine its so expensive to manufacture buprenorphine that the manufacturer is purposely making underdosed suboxone but compared to the old 6 sided orange N8 tablets, neither are up to par to me. I've been on suboxone for the first of four times in my life back in 2006 and I was prescribed 8mgs a day and only took 4MG's as it was plenty. I don't know if its an absorption thing or one of the two ideas above it something is wrong. I wonder if most patients don't notice because they've never been on the old ones so you know how 8mgs of buprenorphine should hit you. I mean withdrawaling in ANY intensity within the 24 hr mark, even now at 12mgs/day, is a joke. And extremely frustrating to say the absolute least. If anyone has any ideas it is welcomed. I thought about getting a plasma level blood draw. Idk but I'm still left wondering. I've found other posts from ppl with the same observation. One guy said it exactly as I've felt, when switched from the old name brand tabs to new strips, he had to take another "2 MG's" of an 8 strip every hour with intense worry until he reached the full 8 mg strip that barely hit him like his otdinary 2mgs and it still wore off way too fast. WTF???????