It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am on day 5 of my suboxone induction. I started on 4 mg and was moved to 8 mg after 2 days.

I turned to suboxone after an 8 year oxycodone addiction, where I was doing about 50 mg a day. Of course I'd run out all the time and then abuse codeine until I could get more. I have become so sick of the cycle of using, running out, feeling like crap, wasting money and all the physical and emotional instability, which I am sure you can all relate to.

I was afraid to quit and try suboxone because I told myself I'd just be replacing one addiction for another. However I've come to terms with the fact that I was never going to stop using on my own and I need some help, even if it is pharmacological.

At this point I am amazed at how the sub seems to have removed my cravings and desire for percocet. I really can't believe it because I feel good and I don't want them. I am worried that this content feeling will go away after I've been on the sub for awhile. I'd really like to hear from others about that. Does suboxone stop working once the body becomes habituated to it?

What can I expect to happen over the long-term if I stay on suboxone? At this point I just feel normal and clear headed and at ease, although a little tired in the first few hours after I dose.

My sub doctor suggested that I might have to be on it for approximately 18 months. I am wondering why he said that amount of time?

I was also told that taking ativan with sub is dangerous. I have a prescription for 1 mg of ativan a day, which I have never abused. In fact I rarely used it every day. But there has been the odd time since I started sub that I have wanted to use it. Will I stop breathing and die in my sleep if I do? Lol. I thought that it had to be much higher doses of both drugs in order for that to be a potential risk?

Ok. Thanks for reading and listening. I look forward to receiving your insight and advice.

--FreshStartMama--

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and Congrats on your recovery freshsttartmom!

I'm fairly new to this forum but not to suboxone. I'm so glad you discovered the benefits of sub. It is doing the exact thing it was intended to do. Block cravings for shorter acting opiates such as oxy, Percs, heroin etc....and no it does not stop working. At least it hasn't for me in the past three years I've been on it. I do not struggle with cravings for pills anymore! It frees my mind and my life from all that chasing I needed to do on the pills. I feel "normal" and live my life without addiction!

Hooray! We are finally FREE to live our lives and enrich it with other pursuits.....such as parent our children, work a job and or go back to school!

The sky is the limit for us now!

So happy you discovered that you too can have a beautiful life ahead of you! :)

As far as the Ativan? Idk? I was on Xanax when I was inducted but stopped using it because I didn't need it! Sub seems to be treating my anxiety concurrently? If that is possible? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:25 pm 

Hey FreshStartMama :) welcome.

First of all congrats on starting ur sub treatment, it's absolutely saved my life and u seem to already be feeling the benefit of it so that's great.

Not sure why ur Dr picked the 18 month mark, all doctors are different. Some believe in long term treatment is best for some patients (like me) and some think it's better for shorter time periods. I wouldn't worry about that too much just yet, in time u can cross that bridge.

No suboxone doesn't stop working. How ur feeling now is pretty much how ur gonna feel in the future, so all is good on that. Sub isn't like opiates where u take more and more to achieve that normal feeling, it stays the same until u taper somewhere below 4 mg for most ppl.

As far as the benzo, that's another thing that doctors are different on. My Dr says absolutely not and would kick u out in two seconds if u took a benzo. But others on this forum have doctors that let them take it with sub, and they seem to be perfectly fine. My advice would be...as long as ur Dr knows about u taking it and is ok with it, then ok. Basically just make sure ur Dr knows.

I was a heavy oxycodone (30mg) taker, that's what opiate was my choice when I started suboxone. I was taking around 150 mg a day and suboxone took every single craving I had away and I've been fine since. I think ur really going to be amazed at how much this treatment works!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow! Thanks to both of you for replying to me. It feels good. I have kept this addiction to myself almost exclusively. Only one other person knew, and my husband and best friends didn't know. Keeping it a secret was so horrible for so many reasons.

So hearing from others is a huge relief, even if it is virtual. Throughout my entire addiction I have maintained a job, parenting, and my marriage. Juggling all that with an addiction is brutal.

Each day I am on sub I can't believe how normal, calm and even at peace I feel. It is like I am rediscovering myself. But at the same time, I notice how every now and then I have an inkling of missing the high, or something? The old routine? Even though I hated it. But I read somewhere that when that happens I should just breathe deeply, and tell myself that it will pass. That incredibly seems to be working. But it is so strange to have such a drastic change in my life all of a sudden. I hope this makes sense.

I figure my next step is to start counseling. I am sure it will also help. I don't know if I should do NA or private. Private is expensive and I am afraid I won't find the right counsellor. NA could be good, but I am afraid of being accused of not really belonging there since I am on sub. So I don't know what to do. While I understand the logic of people on sub not really being drug free (we aren't), I also feel like I most likely just wouldn't stop being a pill addict without it.

Anyway....a question for today: how do I know if I am on the right dose of sub? I feel pretty much fine during the 24 hours between doses, except when I have those moments of wanting more, needing more..that I mentioned previously.

Also, at night I seem to be sweating like crazy. Anyone have any thoughts on why that is? It reminds me if what would happen when I was on oxycodone withdraw. Is it part of the induction? Or a result of the sub?

Thank you for reading/listening.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:17 am 

I think it's normal in the beginning of sub treatment to feel a bit "bored" with the new normal ur experiencing. Also miss that euphoria from our beloved opiates. It's something I went through in the beginning also. It wasn't cravings, it was just missing the high and certain things would trigger feelings and memories of using. That goes away. Find something to do in ur spare time to fill that void. Ur still in the very early stages so it sometimes takes a couple weeks or so for ur body to completely adjust. And the sweating has been reported by lot's of ppl as a somewhat side effect of sub. I remember sweating my butt off just blow drying my hair lol anything made me break out in a huge sweat. That did pass for me, it doesn't happen anymore.

I think ur dose is a pretty perfect dose, if it's taking care of cravings, then I'd stay where ur at. Try not to confuse missing the oxy for cravings. I know it sounds confusing lol but there's a difference in my opinion.

I do have an addiction counselor and my clinic has sub meetings and it's unbelievable how helpful that is. Only u know what's best for u. Some NA groups are cool with ppl on sub, some are definitely not. A lot of ppl go and just don't tell anyone about being on sub. There's different types of choices u can make and I'm sure you'll make the one that's best for u :)