It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: always sleepy!!
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im new to this site, im 20 and have been on suboxone for about 4 months. As of right now i take about 3/4 of one a day. and I always hear people saying they have trouble sleeping on it, well i have the complete opposite reaction. i could go to sleep at 10 and wake up at 12 if i dont set an alarm but i feel like half of the day is wasted.. then after about an hour of being awake, i wanna take a nap. What do i do?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:39 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi Camby....welcome to the site! I have a couple of questions that might help answer you question. First, you said you taking about 3/4 of a tablet....is that a 2mg or 8mg tablet? How long have you been at that dose, and what was your highest dose? Also, have you been sleepy the whole time you have been on sub, or is this a recent thing? Finally, have you ever tried a lower dose?

The thing about all medications is that they effect everyone differently. Take Benadryl...makes everyone sleepy (some people even take it for occasional insomnia), and it makes me jittery and hyper. However, if it is the sub making you sleepy, you are definitely not alone...many people have this side effect (including me :) ).

I would suggest that you talk to your doctor. If you rule everything else out, and it is the sub, you may want to try a lower dose. If you are taking 3/4 of an 8mg tablet, you are taking 6mg, so you may be able to try 4mg and see how you do (you may need to taper slowly down to avoid any withdrawal symptoms). I'm no doctor, so I would definitely check with your doctor before you do anything.

Again, welcome. If you feel comfortable telling us more about you, that would be great. If not, that's fine!

Elizabeth

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree it would be helpful to have answers to the questions that have been posted already.

Suboxone tends to make me feel a little sleepy as well. However, there is some choice involved in this (for me anyways). Prior to going off the suboxone, I would sleep all day long sometimes. It was a part of the reason I wanted to get off of it. When I got off of it and got past the withdrawals, (still had PAWS) I realized I still had the same lack of zest for life, the same laziness, the same indecision about what to do with myself, and would lay on the couch WISHING I could sleep like I did on the suboxone. Now granted I still had some PAWS. Ultimately I had to make a decision and for a variety of reasons, I went back on suboxone but promised myself I would stop wasting my life away on the couch.

What is different? I made a promise to myself not to waste my life. I decided to make plans for every weekend whether it be to go camping, clean house, or spend time with friends. I have been going to therapy regularly. I do NOT lay down unless I want and intend to sleep because for me, as soon as I lay down with a pillow I am out. I used to have a hard time even watching a movie. So I sit upright and that seems to help. I started working out regularly although will admit that last week I really slacked off on that and didn't feel as good as I had been. When I feel overwhelmed by something, I still have a tendency to want to sleep it off and will admit there have been a few days where I have done this. These are patterns I have to break.

I agree the sleepiness tends to be a side effect of the meds, but I also think some of it is choice and once that is recognized, the side effect isn't really as strong or as bad as it seemed.

Cherie

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First off, Elizabeth, thank you for being so sweet! im glad i found this site because i dont really know who to talk to. I take the 8mg. I guess i should tell you how i got onto sub in the first place...

It started about three years ago when me and my boyfriend broke up and some more serious things were happening and i thought pills would make the pain go away. my friend that i hung out with every day introduced me to oc. he would always buy them for me and eventually we were taking them every day. without going into any more details because im sure im boring you, two and a half years later i was taking about 120 mg of oc a day to feel ok and im 100 pounds. if i didnt have it, it was the WORST feeling in the world. which i know yall can relate.. i wish i could say that i am on suboxone from getting addicted to my own perscription pills but no, i went out of my way and spent way too much money to get my fix. im just trying to change my life and improve myself. but anyway i think i got off track...

I started out taking a fourth in the morning and another fourth around 7pm but after a while i felt like it wore off quicker so i increased it to a fourth in the morning, a fourth around 3, then another fourth around 7. Cherie, you are absolutely right about it being your choice. i think thats my problem. the thing i would rather do more than anything is lay on the couch and watch my favorite TV shows. i need to change that so im going to do what you said and exercise every day. i think that would make me have a lot more energy. Im pretty sure the sleepyness started after i increased my dose so i think im going to decrease it to 4mg hopefully that wont make me go crazy. thank you for the help and reply if you want!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Do you do any kind of exercise? If not, it might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on subutex for 7 years now. Sleepiness has been a major problem in my life. First couple of years out of rehab I could sleep 18 hours a day. Up until 2 1/2 years ago my doctor had me on a cocktail of medications. Clonidine, neurotin, visteral, prozac, clonazapam, and subutex. (Sometimes all together--other times one or two of them with the subutex). All of those medications cause sleepiness. At one point in my life I would fall asleep at work, nod of while driving, fall asleep standing up. ect. People thought I was lazy, I was disrespectful, and didn't care. I was so scared of falling asleep. I would drink coffee and energy drinks non stop, at work I would stand at my desk and work instead of sitting down, and sometimes I would have to take a nap in my car before I could drive home. Sometimes I was on pretty high doses of subutex 24 to 28 mg other times I was only taking 8 mg. Now I take 12mg day of subutex and no other medication. I do pretty good during the day. Sometimes I fall asleep on the couch watching tv at 7 or 8 pm for an hour, but other than that it is ok. I am trying to tapper back down to 4mg. I felt the best when I was on that dose(as in terms of side effects.) Best luck to you.

Post subject: Re: always sleepy!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

camby789 wrote:
Im new to this site, im 20 and have been on suboxone for about 4 months. As of right now i take about 3/4 of one a day. and I always hear people saying they have trouble sleeping on it, well i have the complete opposite reaction. i could go to sleep at 10 and wake up at 12 if i dont set an alarm but i feel like half of the day is wasted.. then after about an hour of being awake, i wanna take a nap. What do i do?!

I hear you Camby. They're exactly the problems I get. Gradually reducing my dose from 12mg to 7mg has made it slightly less of an issue, as well as taking half my dose in the morning and half in the evening. That being said, sometimes I can't wake up until 1pm, and I sleep through my alarm. this is a worry as I plan to return to study next year, and I hope that i won't miss many classes due to my inability to wake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

CAMBY,

First off I wanted to say Welcome, this forum is great it has helped my recovery so much, I'm glad you found us :!: Thank you for sharing some of your story with us.

I was very tired also when I started on subs {at 24mgs}, as I decresed my dose I felt so much better. After 7 months I am down to 6mgs two times a day. I still find if I'm laying around I can fall asleep a the drop of a hat. But I don't have much time to lay around with 2 kids and a full time job, but even at work sometimes I fell sleepy when there is down time. I try to stay as busy as possiable and so I don't really think about to much.

I wish you the best let us know how your feeling :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had the exact opposite reaction. If I had too much sub it would keep me up all night. After about two hours of taking it my body would be on alert. If I am asleep, it would wake me right up and I'll be wide awake in seconds. It's so weird to feel it rapidly wake up my body.