It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: always FREEZING
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on Suboxone for a while, 2 to 3 years. Saved my life, gave me the opportunity to change my behavior. However, I'm tired of still dealing with all the crap that is involved, freezing all the time, especially in shower, night sweats, the slime that doesn't come off the top of the tongue NO MATTER how frequently you scrape it off or stringy crap in my eyes. Lack of appetite, don't like to leave the house, etc.

But the worst is the COLD, my 100 lb girlfriend is always warmer than me meanwhile she used to always be FREEZING when I was sober and cuddle up to me to get heat, she still cuddles up to me to get heat, so I am still producing heat, but I don't feel it. The only time I warm up is when I either start a blazing fire or if I eat a big healthy meal, but its very temporary. Does anyone experience the same side effects or have any solutions?

Post subject: Re: always FREEZING
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't heard that from the several hundred people I've treated over the years (about being cold, that is). I hear about hot flashes and general overheating... but not cold. I'd be reluctant to assume buprenorphine is causing the cold, just thinking about what generally happens with mu receptor activation... you might want to rule out hypothyroidism, as that would explain feeling cold all the time, and it is not all that uncommon.

Likewise with not wanting to leave the house... many people who never took buprenorphine lose interest in things if they stop pushing themselves. Heck, I would end up staying home all the time if I didn't constantly push myself to get involved in doing things with other people. Being a loner is just my natural state... but I don't like seeing myself as sitting at home every night so I force myself to get out and go to whatever functions pass through my small town. I hate the cold too, by the way..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Buzzin,

Have you tried lowering your dose? You may see the side effects lessen. Worth a try. Hope it gets better for you!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get that too, lol, though no idea if it's Subs related. I've been off Subs for going on 6 months, but feeling cold has been an issue for years.

It might just be a genetic thing or an aging issue.

- ji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:52 pm 

I get abnormally cold too lol just started last five months. I have been sleeping in full body armor with a hood and still no relief. It doesn't happen all the time but kinda frequently. I just assumed maybe something is going on with me medically but who knows....could be sub and I've been on it same amount of time u have buzz. Like right now my toes are frozen and I have my shoes on and inside my warm house. My 8 yr old is perfectly warm but not me. Whatever the reason, its annoying :/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did a post about this exact problem some years ago while I was still on Suboxone. The problem for me was a noticeable sensitivity to cold temperatures, be it in the winter, or while swimming. From what I remember, there was a lot of feedback from other members experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the post, otherwise I would link you to it.

I noticed it a lot while scuba diving and swimming. While other Sub-free people could stay in a pool or the sea for ages, I could barely stay in for a few minutes before I'd start shaking, get goosebumps etc. I would dread getting in the water. In the colder months, I'd be wearing heaps of layers, a scarf and gloves constantly while others were less rugged up.

Now I'm off Sub for over a year the problem is no longer. I remember the past winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere) I was so surprised by how little I was feeling the cold after being on years of Sub, that I'd be getting around in a shirt in the middle of winter while everyone else was wearing their jackets.

I don't think it should come as a shock that an opiate like Suboxone could mess with your internal thermostat. When we stop using opiates, our internal thermostat goes haywire. One second we're too cold and shaking, the next we're too hot and sweaty, so obviously they influence our temperature regulation. I remember it took a good couple of months at least post-Suboxone before I stopped getting random flashes of goose flesh and chills.

The other thing I've noticed that can contribute to this is smoking. As a smoker I constantly had cold extremities. Now I'm on the vape, this is no longer.

I remember the sensitivity to cold on Sub was annoying, but not unbearable. Given being on Suboxone probably saved my life, it was a small price to pay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes I suffer same effects.Feet and legs feel cold but its warm in room but I use tobacco also and getting older can cause these issues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey TeeJay!

Good to see a post from you. :D

I was thinking about what you said about the smoking. I have been diagnosed with Reynaulds disease (sp?). This seems to be more common in smokers, but I didn't get it until Years after I quit smoking. I picked the cigs back up a couple years ago, and it did seem to make it a little bit worse. I've been on the vape for about a year now. Haven't had a cigarrette since last march! But, I'm not really sure if I have noticed much difference in the severity of my Reynaulds. It's such a pain in the butt...every time I get cold my fingers will turn white, almost looks like a corpse.

I wondered if what you were describing with the cold extremities was the same thing? If so, has yours gone completely away with using the vapes? I wish I could find something that would help improve mine. The doctors just tell me to wear gloves...DUH!