It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Some background on me: I just turned 25 years old, I weigh about 180 pounds, I try to exercise as much as I can and I diet constantly due to a sickness that will be addressed below....

Back in the summer of 2012, I started taking 30mg oxycodone. Sometimes, 4 at a time. This continued until March 2013, when I decided I needed to get some help. So I visited a local sub doctor, and he started me on one 8mg film a day.

Since then, and up to around December 16th, I had tapered down to a 1/4 of a 2mg film every other day. This was working fine for me. No withdrawal symptoms. No nothing.

Then I got submitted to the hospital for pancreatitis.

Obviously, I had to tell them my entire history of my abuse of drugs and how I'm on suboxone, at least a million times. Well, since I was in such agony, they had to give me some sort of pain medication. So I was on a dilaudid drip for about two weeks, which worked better than some of the other meds they were trying to give me, but I was still in a decent amount of pain, considering that what suboxone I was on, was still stopping the dilaudid from doing its full job.

Once the pain went away, and I wasn't on any sort of IV anymore, they decided they would start giving me 2mg suboxones in the hospital. Unfortunately, they were the pill form, and not the film form, so this kinda screwed up my taper.

About a week later (Jan. 3rd, 2014) they let me outta the hospital, and the next day, I decided I might as well just start over again.

I was taking 2mg at first, for about two days. Then down to 1mg every day, for about 3 days. Then down to 1mg every other day. Strange thing is, I'm starting to feel some WS on the days I don't take my sub, but its nothing I can't work myself through. And that's where I'm at now. I'm guessing if I'm having WS, then maybe I tapered too fast, although it's worked for me in the past, but it's not a big deal, considering the withdrawal on those days aren't bad enough where I can't function.

But here's the problem and my question: The hospital gave me percocet (weird, right?) in case I started feeling some pain again, which I do have from time to time. Only problem is that I obviously won't get the full effect of the percocet until I am off suboxone completely. (I assume at least).

So my question is, how long until after I finish my subs, will percocet be able to take full effect? The suboxone helps the pain a little, I suppose, but that could just be in my head.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to taper from this point forward so I can be done with suboxone relatively quickly. Small WS won't bother me, as I have clonidine, neurontin, ativan, and all that stuff to help me along with any symptoms I may have.

I just wanna be done and over with it and move on with my life.

Please help me! Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OMG..... you want to be off buprenorphine.... but you still have Percocets left over. You don't see any problem with that?

I have seen so much time and misery wasted on the desire to be 'done and over with it.' People may have a shot at staying off opioids in certain situations-- one being that they have a strong fear of opioids, and the second being a lack of access to opioids. It's your life---- but I see absolutely no value in putting any effort into tapering off buprenorphine, if you plan on taking an agonist in the future, pain or no pain.

I don't see any practical value to answering your question about pain relief... but from a scientific standpoint, you have two things in the way of Percocet-- a high tolerance, and the blocking from buprenorphine. If you stop buprenorphine for several weeks and your tolerance comes down to zero (it actually takes a month or two-- when withdrawal is completely over), then the Percocet will provide the same pain relief that it would provide anyone else. But the funny thing is that you are carrying Percocet, waiting for it to be strong enough to treat pain.... realize that 4-8 mg of buprenorphine has a potency similar to about 12 Percocet tablets (5mg)(!). So when you are 'off buprenorphine', the strongest pain reliever that you could take, by far, would be a tab of Suboxone! There is a bit of irony in waiting for the Suboxone to wear off, so that you can take a Percocet !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm with the doc on this one man, I don't see this going anywhere good. It doesn't seen like you were on bupe long enough to even get any therapeutic value out of it, besides it taking away your withdrawal from yourDOC. What kind of relapse prevention do you have in place? Have you done any recovery work during your time on sub? Just seems like a risky thing to do right now especially since you have percocets now, and due to your health condition will likely have access to even more later. I hope you don't take this as discouragement, just trying to be realistic. If you don't have something else in place to take the place of the suboxone, relapse will be very likely.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well, this isn't exactly about taking the percocet, since by the time i'm over suboxone, i probably wont be in pain anymore, hopefully. I'm really just curious about what taper method I should use. I wanna be off of it because I wanna be off of it. I have the will power to not go back to drugs. It's just, god forbid I end up in the hospital again, I'd like whatever pain meds they give me to actually work.