It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I will begin my story with how my addiction began. I started using hydros about 5 years ago recreationally. After a year or 2 I moved on up to percs and so on from there. I finally ended up about 2 months ago using up to 4 roxy 30mg a day and still didn't even get high. I was fed up with chasing pills and worrying about where I would get my pills so I wouldn't get sick. My addiction ruined a 10 year relationship along with few friendships.

So... I couldn't find any pills and a friend of mine suggested that I try Suboxone. I haven't felt more normal since my 5 year binge began. I was buying it off the street and I know that I shouldn't try and "treat" myself but I really only had the option of buying it off the street or being sick.

I have been taking the Suboxone and buying it from friends for about 2 months and FINALLY got an appointment with a real Suboxone Doctor about 2 days ago. I was extremely nervous about telling my Dr about buying the Suboxone off the street and really didn't know how he would react.... He was extremely awesome about my whole situation and told me that since I came in for help that he knew I was headed in the right direction.

I am new to this and would appreciate any advice on how to keep going in the right direction, thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Blakeg1982 and Welcome to the forum! I read your story and it actually sounds pretty similar to most of ours. You have come to the right place to get the support that you need to continue forward on your road to recovery.

The only solid advice that I can give you at this point is to keep on doing what you are doing. You were motivated enough to keep on doing the right thing, that you went to a doctor and got your suboxone legally. That speaks volumes to me. Do you have a support system in place at home? Like family, friends, or aa/na, or an addicton counselor? If not, I highly recommend getting one. There are going to be some things along the way that you are going to have to deal with. I wasn't completely prepared for the emotional storm that was coming. I had a lot of emotional consequences to pay as a result of things that happened during my active addiction.

Yesterday for example, was my daughters birthday. I lost custody of her 2 years ago. I hated it. If I hadn't had a good firm support system in place, since starting subs, Who knows what would have happened yesterday...but because I did, I was able to lean on my sister and this forum. This forum is actually a great support system. Really. The amount of support that I got last night from this forum, kept me from losing my mind yesterday. The thread was called "missing emily" if ya want to read it. It's a great example of the kind of people that are on this forum.

So aside from getting supports in place, I think you are well on your way just by doing the next right thing. All we can do, is take it day by day. As long as you make decisions to do the right thing everyday, and use your support system when you need it, you should do alright.

So once again, welcome to our forum! Feel free to post as often as necessary, and let us know if we can help you with anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Blakeg, welcome to a really great place for support. I have not been around here in a while but I saw your post and it made me remember my first time posting and seeing a doctor for a legit script. I felt compelled to drop you a quick hello. I say, just be HONEST with your doctor. He/she is there to help you. Being honest is going to really make it much easier on both of you (doct. & you) You seem to really want help and to be out of the situation you are in. Good luck and congrats on starting a new chapter.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you both for replying to my post! I am doing good and am going to my first NA meeting tomorrow night. I am debating on whether I should share that I'm in sub treatment. I went to an online meeting last night and was met with a little hostility and was told that I'm not going to be able to do the 12 steps or whatever while i'm in treatment... Any thought on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's your personal choice whether or not you want to say anything.

In my experience, AA is more 'open' to the replacement therapy thing. BUT, you know if you think about it,
how many people share what antideppresents/anti-anxiety/ETC medications they are on with the group???
LOL
Im willing to bet, not many.
But, it's totally up to you. Have you looked around to see if there is any type of 'suboxone support' group around????
My doctor just started having them in July, due to so many patients having not-so-great experiences in NA, and
so many people SAYING they should have one. Its worth asking................
I really enjoy the meetings we have now. at first it was only one time every two weeks, now theres two different ones,
each week.

So anyways, just a thought.

Keep fightin' the good fight :lol: :lol: :lol:
we're all here for ya

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello again! Glad to hear that you are still doing well!!! In my opinion, and this s just mine....don't do it. I got treated
like I had the plague. Told I am not in recovery, that I am not a good mother, blah blah blah, and a whole bunch of other stuff that simply isn't true. They don't need to know that. Their may be a meeting or two somewhere on the globe that
understands this stuff, but I haven't found them. Being around a bunch of sober people is no doubt, a great idea. I would
just pick and chose very very carfully who you tell. YOu got a small dose of what is to come from one little online meeting.
Imagine havng to deal with that onslaught face to face.

This is a personal decision, and it is totally up to you. I just dont want to see you get burned. So, with that, do what you will, and let us know how you fare. I hope that you are met with open minds. If not, you do have us....LOL!
Great job on charging forward, and keep up the good work[/font]!