It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just read the thread about you being off for two months. Congrats! I am just scared to death of getting off suboxone. I am on a really high dose and am beginning to taper. 4mg/2 weeks. I am hoping for a jump date in spring early summer. I am feeling a lot of external pressure to get off of it and I am stressing about events that haven't even happened yet. I have so much to lose if I go back to using. I am just really terrified so it is great to see that you did it and are feeling good. Thank you for sharing. I a also have a baby and I think the fear of having no energy to take care of him fuels my fear/anxiety.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and give a quick update. I am now 4 months off suboxone (in a few days...) and things are good. I did re-start treating my adhd with medication but avoided stimulants and instead I'm taking Wellbutrin. It is definitely helping. Physically speaking, it feels like I never even took pain meds/suboxone. I began feeling physically "normal" around the 2 month mark (that's not to say I felt bad before that, just a little off maybe?).
Mentally, I still think about pills. It's brief and fleeting and I'm easily able to talk myself out of it. The accessibility of oxy is so easy - that when I'm having a bad day, or I'm stressed, or whatever, I think about just going and get 1. But like I said, the thought is brief. I haven't slipped up - but I do realize it wouldn't be hard to. I just keep reminding myself how amazing it feels to be free from all that anxiety and chasing and feigning and withdrawing, etc.
It also helps to re-read my journey on this thread. I know it's only been 4 months but that person who wrote those first entries, it's like I barely know her. In some ways it feels like a lifetime ago, like I'm reading someone else's story. Kind of a trip.
Anyways, so I'm hear to say I consider myself a success story. Suboxone worked amazingly for me. I'm incredibly thankful for the medication and to my doctor. I haven't experienced any lasting effects that some people complain of, like PAWS and whatnot. Life is just simple, and good, and the thoughts of pills are slowly but surely fading. What once was normal, is totally not. I'm making up my new normal, and it doesn't include opiates...

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hell yeah, just read your posts Uwill, thanks to you and everyone else sharing their stories, I have the courage to keep staying clean another day. I'm currently 9 days off subutex, and feeling kind of apathetic and lethargic. But I'm still pushing thru to continue my daily activities as if I weren't feeling crappy at all, and it definitely helps.

I can't wait to find my "new normal" like you're saying. And I can't wait to forget about what I used to be like as an addict. And congrats on 4 months! That seems so long from where I'm at now, but knowing that you're there and other people are too makes me feel a whole lot better, and gives me hope. Keep us updated on how you're doing.

Peace and Love

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 pm 

I'm glad that life is going well for you at the 4 month mark! I'm equally glad that you are realistic about how easy it would be to slip up! I think it's the people who are overconfident and never think they will slip up, who are in more danger of a relapse. I like your honest description of the times when you are tempted and the strategies you use to stay away from that temptation. Good on you!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

One year ago, today, I took my last suboxone dose. Tomorrow will mark my one year officially "clean". No slip ups, very, very few cravings. I wouldn't even call them cravings. More like fleeting thoughts. I feel great. Normal, I guess. I forgot what it was like to not NEED a pill to be ok. When I first got off sub, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. I thought I would have to deal with PAWS for months, but no!

So, anyways, just an update! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:55 pm 

Congratulations!! I hope your life continues on such a positive path!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, congrats on your 1 year anniversary!! That is so awesome!! Also thank you for coming back on here and updating. It helps people like me who aren't quite to a year yet know that people do make it :).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:58 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Wow that's so cool ! Congrats! I can't wait until I can say I've been off Suboxone for a year !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks guys!

I really want to offer people some hope. Before I got off sub, I felt very scared. Someone had told me to expect a couple months of depression while my brain starting readjusting or what not. And I remember thinking...a couple of months?! It seemed like such a long time. But it's just a blip on the radar. And while I wasn't 100% until about two months or so, I wasn't depressed. My listlessness and depression only lasted a couple of weeks. Then it was just an uphill improvement.

The physical withdrawal really wasn't terrible. It was so worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the chronicles of your journey. It helps to know that it can be done.
Keep up the good fight and God bless.

-TMD