It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi
I have several conditions that are causing chronic pain and I had 3 doctors that were writing pills for me, Tramadol, Codeine,Vicodin, Percocet and stuff like that after several months to a year I knew I had a habit and was abusing my meds so I went to a Sub doc and we talked about my pain problems and how they were the root of my using so we decided to use Sub to get off the other pills and help control pain. Now my insurance company wants me to get pre certs for Sub starting 8-1 so I am getting off because he now says he is not allowed to prescribe for pain so he will have to tell them I am an addict. My primary does not know about sub and told me to go to pain doc who wrote me vicodin and is reveiwing my chart to figure next step probably some epidurals and maybe surgery. I am afraid if I tell pain doc about suboxone he will refuse to treat me or at least take away meds and then I am back to nothing but pain and refusal to treat it. I don't want to tell pain doc but I am curious if anyone else has had same problem and what they did I want to be honest but sometimes it really does not pay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The death rate for opioid dependence is skyrocketing; take a look at the figures on my latest post at Suboxone Talk Zone and follow the link to the article. Understand that none of those who died thought they would die. They just got caught up in opiates, many from treating their back pain or other pain condition, and then as the dose ran up they at some point took too much and died in their sleep.

I can't tell from your message for certain, but are you saying that you are stopping Suboxone and going back to the pain clinics because you don't want your doc to tell your insurer you are an addict? If that is the case, realize that they almost certainly already know. The insurers are completely aware of the epidemic of opiate dependence, and when they see that they are paying for scripts from more than one doc or paying for ever-increasing doses of narcotics, they know very clearly what is going on.

I encourage you to remember how miserable it is chasing down pain pills from multiple docs. The docs always catch on eventually anyway, as you know, and next time you might not be able to find a doc who prescribes buprenorphine. A life of pain pills truly stinks.

One other thing I didn't understand-- EVERY doc is able to prescribe buprenorphine for pain; the certification is only needed to prescribe buprenorphine to treat addiction, which is illegal except under the special waiver. Maybe your doc just doesn't know, as there is some confusion over this issue.... but if a doc can write for pain pills, he/she can also prescribe buprenorphine for pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bstevenj -
I think I responded to you on another thread. When you say you need "pre-cert" are you speaking of your insurance company needing pre-authorization in order to cover your rx cost? And that the INSURANCE company won't cover suboxone for pain only? I just wanted to clarify that.

Dr. J is saying something very similar to what I tried to say, and that is that the insurance company probably already knows. Also, depending on what state you're in, any doctor can access the state's main prescription monitoring database and will see your doctor shopping, increased dosages, and your suboxone use.

What I think we're both trying to say is that we're worried about you. When you get back on pain pills, how will you be able to NOT get back on that roller coaster of more and more drugs, taking too many, having w/d, doctor shopping, etc? Plus your tolerance will be significantly higher since you've been on suboxone. You will very likely need much higher doses for the full agonists to work - at least for the first several weeks. That will put your addiction into overdrive that much sooner.

I'll leave it at that and just reiterate that we're just concerned about you. Take good care and please keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think you both know me pretty well but I don't want meds as much as I just dontwant to need them I am going to explain my position to pain doc and hope the door doesn't hit me in the ass.
Later
steve