It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just thought I'd give a hope shot out today. Not only the almost 7 months off of subs (I went to detox and jumped from 10 mgs of Subs and drinking everyday for about 4 months), but I have 4 months and 12 days off of everything (I 'slipped' and got drunk once and rode out the 'reservation' of wanting to drink). I really never thought I would get off subs and feel SOMEWHAT 'normal' again, but it's happened. After a little over two years of being on an average of 6-8 mgs everyday, it took me about 60 days to not feel like total crap everyday. It's tough to ride out, but it's been worth it for me. If Subs works for you, great, but it turned on me like a muh-fugga. BUT, out of this crazy idea that I need to be clean of everything, including my anti-anxiety antidepressant, Effexor XR, which DOES work for me, I threw myself into a tailspin and was starting to get suicidal, and, oh yeah, severe panic. I wasn't even tapering it that much, but MAN, I almost went crazy.
Yes, I went back up to my normal dose and things are starting to settle, being day 3 of that and all. The anxiety of that taper also didn't help my chronic pain (getting a cervical MRI next week which I put off for over two years, and my lower back is fused levels L4-S1). I don't take anything for the chronic pain, since I do physical therapy, meditation and all sorts of stuff for it (I've also been through a 28 day outpatient chronic pain program as well), but the neck has gotten worse. I'm praying that I avoid surgery and pain meds, but I have a system in place in case I need to. Plus, I've been troubleshooting my physical therapy exercises, posture and everything, and will only opt for surgery if it doesn't improve in the next few months. Other than that, I have a great network of friends and family that care and are willing to help me with anything. 7 months ago, I wanted to die, and today I want to live. Life is good today, not fair, but good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

you look like a young guy-- compared to me anyway! so consider writing down some of the worst things you remember about taking opioids. Relapse often happens years down the road (7 years for me), when the bad memories have faded a bit.

Take care-- and thanks for checking in.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm 

FS80,

Great post! It is always a good day when someone is successful in staying off a drug that they don't want or need to take.

I too am prescribed Effexor. The reason my Dr. gave it to me was so I could taper and stop Suboxone. That all backfired when I ended up in the hospital. (long story)

When I tried to stop the Effexor it was horrible. I went from 150 mg's, down to 75 mg's, then to the lowest dose they make; 37.5 mg's. (over 2 years) This last time I opened up the capsules and those little white beads are just about 1 mg each. Meaning, I counted 37 + some small pieces and went from there. By the time I got down to 12 mg's I was a mental case. That was the second attempt to get off that drug. I could have done it but my wife was ready to kill me so I went back on. My doctor said the manufacturer calls it Effexor because of the "effects" of trying to stop. (jokingly) So give it up unless you do a really slow taper like me.

You're young and sound like you'll be okay with the path you've chosen. Good luck getting your spine back in good condition.

rule