It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

So I went to the doctor today and we decided that I am ready to taper down from 1.5 mgs a day to 1 mg a day. Now I have been taking 1 mg in the morning, and .5 mg at night. Now that I am down to 1 mg, I need to figure out how to do this.

Should I just take 1 mg in the morning, or .5 mg in the morning and .5 mg at night? After a month of 1 mg, I am going down to .5 mg a day. And of course, at .5 mg a day, I will just be dosing once a day.

So if the final dose is going to be .5 mg a day, am I better off doing .5 in the morning and .5 at night, or just 1 mg in the morning?

P.S. The doctor said he would do .5 in the morning and .5 at night for two weeks, and then take 1 mg in the morning for two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While current best practices suggest dosing once per day, many have found, and some physicians have suggested dosing twice a day when you get below 2 mg and certainly at 1 mg or below. There are multiple reasons for this but at the end of the line, most people find that they feel better and have less withdrawal symptoms with dosing twice a day when at these low levels. Based on that, if it were me, and when it comes time that it is me, I would/will dose twice a day. Even when you go down to 0.5 mg, you may very well want to do 0.25 in the AM and 0.25 in the PM. From there you may want to move to 0.25 MG once a day followed later by 0.25 mg every other day and then nothing. It's all about going as low as you can as slow as you can. That's what I would do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey DonH,

Thanks for the advice. Short of liquid tapering, I don't believe I will be able to judge breaking down a 1/4 of a 2 mg tablet in to .25 mgs. I think I will just do .5 in the morning and .5 in the evening for now. Reason being is that if I follow the doctor's plan, at the end of the 4 weeks, I will have gone from 1mg dosed once a day, to just .5 dosed once. If I break the 1 mg in to two doses, and then I taper down to .5mg, it will be easier to remove a .5 mg dose from a cycle of two .5 mg doses a day then just removing .5 mg from a 1 mg dose, dosed one time a day.

Did that make sense to you because it did to me :D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Hey !!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Use the Film, a .25 dose is easy, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Sullimi...interesting that you should say that.

I asked my doctor today about the films and he said the bad thing about them is that if you cut them they lose there potency. I didn't think that was necessarily accurate, but I really didn't want to argue with him. So maybe when I go back in a month to taper down to .5 mg, I will ask for the films and see what he says. If I want to try it and I am taking the risk, then he shouldn't worry. At the very least, he will test it out on me and if it works, he will have something else in his arsenal to help his patients that have tapered down to such a low dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:49 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

That's odd.... My doctor told me the exact OPPOSITE about the film.... I would look further into this.

My taper plan is similar to yours. I intend to go slowly down to as little as possible. My doctor told me that the medication was distributed evenly and was made for cutting and that when the time came, I could taper down to tiny portions of the film if I wanted....

Post subject: cutting the film
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My doctor said he couldn't recommend cutting the film "on the record" but really it should be fine. He said RB would be worried about where the other part of the film goes etc... (their campaign for the film is all about "diversion") He said I could try cutting the film to taper if I want to. It's very easy to cut, I cut my 8mg in half to put on each side of my tongue using small barber scissors.

On a side note, someone should make a template for cutting film :)

and also they make 2mg film strips- same size as the 8mg, you could be extremely accurate with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:11 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Exacto knife! That would be PERFECT for cutting the film!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

donh wrote:
While current best practices suggest dosing once per day, many have found, and some physicians have suggested dosing twice a day when you get below 2 mg and certainly at 1 mg or below. There are multiple reasons for this but at the end of the line, most people find that they feel better and have less withdrawal symptoms with dosing twice a day when at these low levels. Based on that, if it were me, and when it comes time that it is me, I would/will dose twice a day. Even when you go down to 0.5 mg, you may very well want to do 0.25 in the AM and 0.25 in the PM. From there you may want to move to 0.25 MG once a day followed later by 0.25 mg every other day and then nothing. It's all about going as low as you can as slow as you can. That's what I would do.

Excellent advice. Agree completely.

Post subject: Re: cutting the film
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

glen bee wrote:
My doctor said he couldn't recommend cutting the film "on the record" but really it should be fine.

This is interesting because most doctors from what I've read here seem fine with cutting the pills to achieve specific dose, in fact, MY doctor currently has me prescribed at (take two tablets in the morning, and one and a half tablets in the evening) and I have the 2mg tablets, so he's actually prescribing that I cut them.

Now, he's always prescribed non-fractional doses, in other words, 16mg, 12mg, 8mg, 7mg, 6mg, 5mg but no 5.5mg or 4.5mg...but he knows when I'm doing (for example) 5.5mg and he's ok with it even though I will accumulate some extras because of this. He doesn't seem to care that much about that.

This has worked for me, but right now I'm on 7mg and in December I'm probably going down to 6mg, then 5mg, so I wonder if my doctor will prescribe it by telling me to cut it, like he does with the pills. Are they hard to cut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:43 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

They're not hard to cut at all. However, they do tend to crumble and it's hard to get an even cut. I find the best way to get the most even amount of pieces is to use an Exacto knife. It works perfectly for me.

Hell, I used the Exacto knife to cut those tiny Roxicets into quarters (when I was running low) and using the Exacto worked perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Libra wrote:
They're not hard to cut at all. However, they do tend to crumble and it's hard to get an even cut. I find the best way to get the most even amount of pieces is to use an Exacto knife. It works perfectly for me.

Hell, I used the Exacto knife to cut those tiny Roxicets into quarters (when I was running low) and using the Exacto worked perfectly.

Re-reading my post, it was a bit unclear....what I meant to ask was are the films easy to cut? (not the pills, I find them very easy to cut

Post subject: Hey Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Fold the film in half real hard and pull the 2 halfs apart, perfect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:20 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I'm going on the film next week. I'll do some experimenting in cutting, folding and tearing, etc., and let you know how it goes. From what my doctor had told me (and the research I've done) you can cut these films down into tiny, .10mg pieces.

I hope what I'm hearing is right. I'd like to go down to minuscule pieces before leaving Subs forever.