It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Almost Completely Done!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So, I have been reading this forum for quite some time and never signed up to participate. Now that I have gone through the nightmare that is dependency and now almost at the end of a very long taper process, I feel it may be beneficial to share my story for those who are like I was, not an addict in the truer sense but, dependent because of the prescribed pain meds getting their hooks in me. I have always had a strong tolerance of these types of medications and because of my extremely physical lifestyle (heli skiing, enduro racing, skydiving. Basically any sport that is fast, high, and can kill you, lol) I had been given them on a few occations. The disk issue got me to a situation where I would have continuous pain so I was put on a regimen of opiates to continue to move without pain to a degree. I wasn't one to take more of the meds than was prescribed because getting the high was not my objective. Getting high with these opiates seemed to me as more a weakeness (please take no offense by that) than an attempt to deal with the debilitating pain that was produced by the degenerative disks in my back. It was to a point where I was taking 40mg of Oxycontin 3 times daily and 30mg of oxycodone for the breakthrough episodes. Usually after a high intensity activity. I was in a routine. Took my meds and did my thing. Then came the period where the pain didn't seem to be effecting me as bad and I stopped taking some of the medication.............At that point in my life I realized that in reality the only difference between me and an addict was I truly didn't want anything to do with these things anymore. But, if I didn't take them it was the most undescribable hell I have ever experienced both emotionally and physically. I am one strong son of a bitch but these withdrawals brought this strong man to a fetal position with crying fear. At that moment I commited to myself that this was NOT going to rule me one second more and found that what I was taking was pretty high amounts of opiates. I made myself VERY clear to my doctor that it may behoove him to make patients far more aware of the consequenses of treating with these meds because although the withdrawals from opiates won't kill you, the rocks at the bottom of the cliff you jump off of to get withdrawals to stop will. And that is no joke. When I was fighting this I have never had thoughts go through my head like those while I was in a heavy withrawal. This may be harsh but, if you knowingly put yourself in the position of being back in the hell that is withdrawal after being clean from this stuff, I have no sympathy. It to me is like looking at a knife and just cutting off your finger. It most likely won't kill you but you are going to pay a steep price for an act that adds nothing but despair and destruction to your exsistence. And others that love you have to watch. It just makes no sense to me why anyone would go back to that, or even be tempted to, after experiencing a severe withdrawal. Stick your finger in a light socket, the pain is over a lot faster and it doesn't make you want to kill yourself with despair.

So on to the good part. I did my research and found Suboxone. Read about all the nightmares that people have had with it as well but came to the conclusion that most of the issues that I read that people were having were quite suspect to denial and misuse of the dosing to taper. There is no magic bullet with opiates. Tapering sucks almost as bad as withdrawal but there are ways to minimize the nasty feeling but the best solution is time, consistency, will power, and activity. I started at 8mg under the tongue daily and SLOWLY got myself down to now 1mg per day. that process took 3 months! Made it a mission and no matter what was going on around me or how I felt, there was no excuse to use even a speck more than the plan. I got myself in so I will get myself OUT!! 1mg per day now is pretty good I think from where I was and on most days I feel fantastic, sleep well, and have a ton of energy. I actually feel less clarity when I take it but I am sticking to the plan. Through all my research I did land on a regimen of suppliments I take everyday that made a world of difference I will share but everyone is different so who knows if it will work for you.

Here it is:

Natures Way - Alive! Once Daily Men's multivitamin 1 daily
Country Life - FLEX-Able Bioactive Type ll Calogen supplement 2 daily
Jarrow Formulas - Ubiquinol QH-absorb 2 daily
Minami Nutrition - MorEPA Supercritical Omega-3 Fish Oil 2 daily
Bluebonnet - Calcium Citrate, Magnesium, Vitamin D3 combo tablets 2 morning, 2 evening

These have all of the minerals that the opiates swipe from you and the joint formula did wonders for the achy joints. More isn't better except for the fish oil caps. the recommended is one per day, I take 2. Noticed the difference in about 3 days and will never stop taking this combo even after the Sub is gone!! Oh, all of these can be bought at Whole Foods Market in the Whole Body section. And no, I don't work there or sell vitamins, lol!

Since I have been taking these suppliments and stepping down the Suboxone along with walking and going to the gym a few times a week, I now feel 20 years younger again. Its amazing how it feels on the other side once you get past this crap! Still have some disk pain issues but I am 48 and I am beginning to feel amazing again. Hope my story helped and motivated a bit and sorry if I offended anyone by the no sympathy thing but, there is no high in my opinion that could feel any better than the complete clarity that comes from shedding these God awful opiates. I deal with the pain in other ways and exercise has changed so much mentally as much as physically. I was a mess. counting the pills in the bottle to make sure I didnt run out even though I knew I was fine because I only took as prescribed. but just the thought of running out scared me. a few more weeks of smaller little snips of this Suboxone and I AM DONE!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello Doitright and welcome to the forums! Congratulations on the successful taper thus far. I would check out the post by hopespring. He managed to Taper and has managed to go 14 days now completely clean. You can probably gain some insight on what to expect.

Stay strong buddy, you're already doing awesome on the taper.

-WTBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 am 

Welcome to the forum! A lot of people use the memory of a bad withdrawal to help them stay away from more opiates, but it's kind of sad that you can't have any sympathy for people who use again after having been through a withdrawal. And no, it doesn't make sense because addiction doesn't make sense. But since you were physically dependent on opiates as opposed to being addicted to them, I understand why you don't get it.

And yet, if you're not addicted, why not just taper down from the meds you were already using? Why switch to suboxone? I'm not trying to sound antagonistic, just trying to understand your reasoning.

I'm glad you're doing well, and it's really great of you to share your regimen with people. I just think you should recognize that you are a non-addicted person so your understanding of what it feels like to be an addict may be a little lacking.

I hope that you continue to do well and let us know about your progress! I have tapered down to 3 mg so far, so I'm very interested in stories of people who have made it lower than that. :)

Amy