It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 1 is all you need?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I talked to my doctor today about increasing to 3 8mg strips a day. He said that one is all you need, and that anything higher than that is all mental, they only prescribe two to make the person feel better mentally and it doesn't actually have an effect with the blood levels. I told him that I would start to get withdrawals when I wake up the next day and he said it's impossible because it's a 30 hour drug and that I need to get on methadone.

Post subject: Re: 1 is all you need?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:07 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

So if the blood levels are the same, why on earth would people be needed to get prescribed 24 MG and 32 mg lol when all they really need is 8-12 mg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Frank,

I think that one strip does the trick. However at the beginning I was prescribed 1 - 8mg strip. And I would always run out early. I think for me it was mental. But my body truly had cravings and mentally i thought i needed to take two or three strips.

I was so used to popping pills all through out the day, that when i took just one strip one time a day, it was odd to me. i felt like i "needed" more.

The mind is a powerful thing. It can truly put you into withdraws just by thinking about running out.

Over time, I stopped taking more and stopped running out every month. But it took time.

At the beginning my doctor did but me on 12 mg a day. One strip in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon. And even with that, I thought I needed 2-3 strips.

I do think it just takes time to get used to a New way of dosing.

I would recommend splitting the dose in two. no more than that. But maybe 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. That way you get a steady dose in your body. But yes 1-8mg is fairly standard to take and your really don't need more than that. But in the beginning it is possible to start off at a high dose and decrease from there.

Good luck to you!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm confused on why the hell people need 24-32 mg a day if the blood levels are the same with no difference cause of the ceiling?? I told my doctor I was getting cravings and he said that it looks like the medication wasn't working for me and I would need to get on methadone. He said they'll prescribe me as high a dose as I want

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Frank, Sorry i should of been more clear when answering your question.

The higher doses of 24-32 mg will not hurt someone if they take them because of the ceiling effect.
At the Beginning , some people Mentally feel they need a higher dose to get rid of Mental cravings.

Higher doses are also taken for People that are taking suboxone for Pain management.

How are you feeling on your dose?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am on 16 mg and it does nothing for pain my back is killing me! It's like tight knots of pain form and don't go away. Tylenol does nothing. The dose barely gives me a buzz at all but does improve mood, though I am very cranky. Personal issue though. Get this; I told him I was going to pursue counseling for addiction and he said not to even bother because it wasn't going to work. What an ***hole!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:18 am 

If I were u, I'd start counseling anyway. Regardless if ur doctor wants u to or not. I don't understand how any doctor could discourage anyone to not do counseling, especially an addict. That's crazy. Especially in the beginning of treatment, counseling really really helped me. I'm not sure how I'd be today without having done it. I still do meetings over 5 years later. I think u should still do it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I do SMART meetings because I was kicked out of AA for being on suboxone. Now seeing how unprofessional AA was in my own experience and in my own area, and seeing how much it did not help me or any other new comers, I revere our mental health professionals and I am thirsty to be guided. I believe that I can he helped and healed with the right holistic approach to the matter. The reason I'm even on suboxone is because I just could not stay clean long enough to get through an IOP, finish my steps or go through any type of counseling. I want to address and work through the subconscious reasons I was using while on suboxone, and master my recovery and then in a year or two when my brain is healed and my behaviors have changed, I'll prepare for the taper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:31 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

FrankMatthews wrote:
I do SMART meetings because I was kicked out of AA for being on suboxone. Now seeing how unprofessional AA was in my own experience and in my own area, and seeing how much it did not help me or any other new comers, I revere our mental health professionals and I am thirsty to be guided. I believe that I can he helped and healed with the right holistic approach to the matter. The reason I'm even on suboxone is because I just could not stay clean long enough to get through an IOP, finish my steps or go through any type of counseling. I want to address and work through the subconscious reasons I was using while on suboxone, and master my recovery and then in a year or two when my brain is healed and my behaviors have changed, I'll prepare for the taper

from reading literature at my counselors office, AA will not even accept drug user, you have to be an alcoholic. there are NA meetings that accept people on suboxone, but you need to find the right one, or don't mention you're on it!

have you tried splitting your doses throughout the day? cutting them in half and taking 8 hours apart?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

FrankMatthews wrote:
I want to address and work through the subconscious reasons I was using while on suboxone, and master my recovery and then in a year or two when my brain is healed and my behaviors have changed, I'll prepare for the taper

You've got the right attitude Frank. You also have more insight into what your needs are compared to your doctor. I think red flags should be going up anytime a doctor says counseling is a waste of time... that's ludicrous. There are some treatment programs where it's the rule that you have to be in treatment to continue to receive the medicine.

Continue to do what you're doing regardless of what your doctor says. Going to SMART Recovery is a great option, that's what I'm doing myself. My own experience tells me that you'll find more support there as opposed the NA. Give it some time and you'll find yourself bonding with the others there. The place that I go to has some pretty hardcore dudes... the kind of guys I wouldn't normally associate with. But their experience has been teaching me a lot and I thank them for that after every meeting.

I'm going to be seeing my sub doctor this week and I've been considering whether or not to ask for a little more. From everything I understand, my dose of 16mg a day should be enough... technically. And yet I'm still having some cravings, they're mild but they are still there. Logic tells me that any more bupe a day would be a waste of money, but psychologically I feel like I need it.

This is where I just have to be honest and then trust my doctor to do what's right for me. He's a great guy so far and even though he has a reputation to prescribe meds on the conservative side, he still gave me 16mg which is considered a higher dose. They probably have to watch out for people that want larger amounts so they can sell it to make money, what's called diversion.

There are good doctors out there and their job is not an easy one. Especially treating addicts, a part of the population that has learned how to lie as a survival mechanism. We need to do our part as responsible patients including learning all that we can so we can stay safe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are some rare cases people might need 16mg+. Some people burn through their sub faster than others, also some medications induce metabolism of Sub so a higher dose it required to hold them over 24 hours.

Also as people have said, because of the ceiling effect, prescribing higher doses comes with less risk than with other opioids. Even if the benefit is psychological in a lot of cases, that can still be helpful.

I hear what you're saying though. If everybody was held fine 24/7 on a max dose of 8mg, why is 32mg the max dose? Probably because while 8mg is fine for the vast majority, there are still those on the fringe of the curve who may need more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Frank Mathews
When i first started my doc put me on 8mg then about 4 days later 16mg with a chat about things in general and how i was feeling and how my body was reacting etc then a week later he asked me how it was going to which i replied great but cranky in the morning before i take my dose and he immediately wrote me up for 24mg as he said there should be no noticeable difference pre or post dose ( i actually thinbk any one who took drugs for a long time and took them to get high as opposed to treat pain does feel something after dosing ). Anyway i wanted to continue feeling that something so next appointment i said the same thing and he wrote me for 32mg which i thought was pretty reasonabvle of him and turns out pretty smart of him too because i havent taken any drugs except a few drinks in a year and a half and i am down to 12mg and moving to 8 soon.
I think every person has a different metabolisim and some need more help in there heads than others and at the end of the day its got to be what ever works for you.
Good luck Frank love the name i presume you were a dnm person before quitting, i found giving up the markets and there forums as hard as the drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yes lol I find it funny how the biggest heroin dealer in history ends up on sub!

Did u hear about alphabay? The owners stole 12 million in bitcoin. The operator was arrested and killed himself in a Thai jail cell a few days ago. Bitcoin has been crashing since. Everyone is fleeing to Hansa and Dream

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes i did see that though i wasnt sure if it was a deliberate exit scam or a result of the fact the main man was on the run from Canadian police. Hey wait you are not telling me you are the Frank Marhews as that would be crazy as its one of the big players since early days SR1.
I nearly lost my way when btc went up to $3900 Australian as i had some coin in a couple of accts on AB but luckily i got burnt by yet another Canadian but in the end it was a gift cause i am still clean.
The only time i start to feel weak these days is when i have a peak at dnm sites so i am mostly staying away but i am pretty interested about the whole dnm thing.
Hey good luck with your journey its so worth it, recently i got offered some free drugs for doing a review and said no as i just love my life being straight, everything is so good that i just dont want to trade it off for a few hours of the sweetness and then the real price.
Cheers
M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:57 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

FrankMatthews wrote:
Yes lol I find it funny how the biggest heroin dealer in history ends up on sub!

Did u hear about alphabay? The owners stole 12 million in bitcoin. The operator was arrested and killed himself in a Thai jail cell a few days ago. Bitcoin has been crashing since. Everyone is fleeing to Hansa and Dream

whoa. i didn't hear anything about bitcoin crashing. i know there was a big meeting recently to agree on a fix. poor satoshi.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mikib wrote:
Yes i did see that though i wasnt sure if it was a deliberate exit scam or a result of the fact the main man was on the run from Canadian police. Hey wait you are not telling me you are the Frank Marhews as that would be crazy as its one of the big players since early days SR1.
I nearly lost my way when btc went up to $3900 Australian as i had some coin in a couple of accts on AB but luckily i got burnt by yet another Canadian but in the end it was a gift cause i am still clean.
The only time i start to feel weak these days is when i have a peak at dnm sites so i am mostly staying away but i am pretty interested about the whole dnm thing.
Hey good luck with your journey its so worth it, recently i got offered some free drugs for doing a review and said no as i just love my life being straight, everything is so good that i just dont want to trade it off for a few hours of the sweetness and then the real price.
Cheers
M

Dark net can be a trigger huh! Especially when you live on an island nation where blackmarket drugs prices are so inflated on the street.

I personally found the dark web did the opposite to my addiction. There was something about the simplicity of getting things that way that removed the thrill from the act of buying drugs on the street, that made me realise even moreso how boring drugs really are. Maybe I was always just drawn to the thrill of going into some strange dude's house, wondering if he had a gun under his jacket, not knowing if I'd come out alive ... whereas on the dark web it's just click click click and wait. *Yawn*

Removing the thrill, rebelliousness and the culture from the drug itself is a powerful tool to help one get clean. It's for that reason I think prescribing drugs like heroin might actually help people distance themselves from that crappy heroin-chic lifestyle. It doesn't seem so "cool" when you're getting your drug from an old nurse behind a counter in some government sanctioned clinic.