It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:36 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I wanted to be able to share my story with mothers going through similar situations(taking subutex during pregnancy). I am posting this on as many websites as I can find, to try & relieve some stress of others during their pregnancy. Now, I do not want to give false hope, just letting you kow there are lots of different outcomes for what your infant might go through, not just the bad. I was taking suboxone & my doc wanted me to switch to subutex because I became pregnant. I followed her advice. She told me that suboxone has the ingredient naloxine in it & is very harmful to newborns. She said that subtex does not contain this, it would be safer. The doctor also told me that low birth weight babies tend not to have as many symptoms of withdrawl becuase they do not have the fat to store the drug. I do not know how true this,The idea of birth weight is not a proven medical fact. I was so worried through my pregnancy. There was not alot of info on the subject available. I took alot, 32mg a day. Both my OBGYN & my subutex doctor told me how much I took did not affect wether the baby would suffer or not. I also felt guilty, so guilty. Alot of stress to deal with. My son, Riley Terrin, was born Sept. 14th. He weighed 7lbs 5oz & was 20 inches long! Not to mention how incredibly adorable he is!! The Doctor told me that he should stay at the hospital for 5 days, for oberservation. That was so hard to leave the hospital without him, but it was right choice. They use a chart to rate the babies that are born on any kind of drug. For every symptom they have they receive a score. If their score adds up to a certain number in a 24hr time period, it can determine if they should be weaned off with medication. My son did have some very mild systoms after about 3 days. He did not do well at night, but I was not their at night. I held him all day long from the morn until around 11pm. Then I would go home. It is hard to leave but better for the doctors if you leave baby alone for a bit. THen they can see how he is really going to act, as far as showing symptoms. Of course when mommy is holding baby he is going to be more comfortable even if he is sick. So Riley never showed any serious symptoms & never scored high enough to require medication. After 5 days he came home with us. He showed no symptoms of withdrawl at home. He slept well, ate well, & was over all happy. He is 2months old now & still doing great. Other than the occasional gassy belly-lol. I hope this helps ease someones mind. If you go through a similar situation as I did, please pay it forward & write about it for someone else. It is so hard to find any info about pregnancy & sub or methadone, especially positive info. Good luck to all of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello abbiati and welcome to the forum. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. It's good to have as many perspectives as possible, because a good outcome like yours does happen. I'm glad you posted this. I hope you stick around and take part in our community.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey there thanks for sharing your story. Iam really glad to here that everything has worked out for you. I have been on suboxone for just over a month and my one year old and another on the way was my number one reason to give up the illicit use. Anyway I have a friend who is expecting and I gonna tell her to read your story. I would think it would help ease her some. So really thanks for your time to post your story

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

abbiati, soooo happy to hear that your scare it over and your angel is here. I teared up reading about how scared you were. I went thru the same exact thing. Switched from Suboxone to Subutex 3.5 yrs ago. I was only around 12 mg when I found out I was pg, so I was able to wean down. I actually refused to take anything for a horrible week before I gave in and started the Subutex, and that almost gave me a seizure. Once I felt the aura, I took the Sub again. I went to 3 mg in a few weeks, which was a very stupid and tough thing to do. I did it out of fear and guilt and shame because, like you said, there was no information and no one knew what would happen. I was taking drugs while pregnant. I couldn't stand that.

Then.....I had a totally healthy baby!! They never even let on that they were very worried about her once she was born. And I was given NO reassurance during my pregnancy, other than Subutex was the best option. I was told she would likely be sick. None of that happened! Now she is 3 and 100% healthy. She's too smart, lol!

You are a golden person for feeling that you need to pass this on. It says a lot about you. There are a lot of mommies-to-be who are terrified because they're on Subutex. If you can, call the Suboxone people and tell them about your success story. They are collecting this info. I believe the number is 877-782-6966. If they won't take the info, they will give you to the right person. By gathering this information, they can show that switching to Subutex is a better alternative to Methadone, which has been the traditional choice but is really hard on babies :( It's becoming very obvious that Subutex babies do just fine, but as I'm sure you can understand, they can't perform actual tests on pregnant women to see which drugs will injure babies the least. Collecting info is all they can do.

Congratulations on your little miracle!!! I bet you are more thankful for this that you have ever been for anything else in life. I feel like I eternally owe God, because I begged for a healthy baby and I got one despite the Subutex.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:15 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Congratulations!! Also THANK YOU so much for sharing your experience. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and taking subutex, 4mg. Last week I talked to neonatal docs who prepared me for the worst. It is so scary and it is so easy to believe I'm doing something wrong or bad, even though my doctors all say I'm doing everything right. My doc keeps telling me there's a big study that's about to be published about the benefits of bupe vs. methadone during pregnancy which is very reassuring. As long as I keep finding reasons to stay positive- and hearing stories like yours- I am much less afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm pretty positive your baby will be fine. So you are on 4 mg and I was on 3 mg. About the same dose. After I delivered my baby, the baby doc came and explained that the Bup molecule is very large and they think that's why it doesn't affect babies in general while in utero. Not everything can cross the placenta, which I didn't know until he said that. My OBGYN acted worried too but he'd never heard of Sub before me. On the other hand, the neonatal doctors were totally nonchalant. They were confident she'd be fine. She wasn't even taken for observation. They let me keep her in my room. She wasn't at all fussy or in any discomfort. This was my third baby, so if she'd been 'wrong' in any way, I would have sensed her discomfort. Her temperature was always fine. Eating and sleeping cycles fine. I wish you could see the proof. She's a beautiful little bouncy blond-haired blue-eyed angel and she can even read a little and she just had her third b-day. I'm 'bragging' to make you feel better because you shouldn't have to waste the rest of your pregnancy worrying. Try to relax. You haven't damaged your child. Also, they (pediatrician, psychiatrist, neonatalogist) really will not, for liability reasons, tell you before your baby is born that it will all be okay. Once you've delivered, you may be surprised when everyone acts like they knew all along!!

laddertipper