It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i just thought i would share about a couple of friends here at home about going cold turkey on 8 mgs and jumping at 2mg.
a friend of mine named a'l , was cut off subs over 3 weeks ago. i remember him doing poorly on the first week. i saw him a couple of day's ago driving his car. he said hollow" and seemed o.k?
my friend bill has been off suboxone for about 1 1/2 years' and is doing fine. they both don't seem to be ah depressed or sick like other people i know about. it just makes me wounder. hope i'm the same way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think age, history and how long you been in active addiction plays a big role. I have seen kids get off sub without a hitch once they got thru the wd of it. I also know some that suffered a very long time.

But until you get there who knows. why worry about something that has not happen yet, more so you have not much control over. Do the best for your body like eating right, excerise and let God take care of the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

that's what i am doing birdie'. these 2 people have been drinking and drugs for about 25 years. thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I kinda see what you're saying johnboy.

I guess what some people may call PAWS, other people may just call "getting used to life without any opiates". It is something that's completely manageable. I remember I felt a bit naked emotionally without having the option of opiates to run to. And even though Suboxone didn't get me high at all, it did seem to feed my addiction.

If you see PAWS more as learning to live with the anxiety of life without opiates, then it'd be easier to deal with IMO. These days I think we can pathologise things a bit too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya tearj3rker". same here. but i'm not sure what part or how pathologise or pathologize means the most :lol: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pathologise. It means to label things as a disease or syndrome that are really just normal. Addiction support groups and forums are rife with this stuff.

For example - saying you have a sex addiction because you like checking out hot women at the beach. Or that you have "social anxiety" because you get nervous when meetings new people. Both those things are completely normal. Whenever you hear someone say "us addicts are funny like that", you can pretty much guarantee that there's some pathologising going on. ie "This guy cut me off on the road today and I wanted to belt his face in - us addicts are funny like that..." Ummm. That's normal human road rage?

PAWS may very well be neurochemical, but IMO it's easier to cope with if you just view it as "getting used to life on life's terms".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tearjerker - I really like how you described that in relation to PAWS! That makes SO much sense to me and I do think you're on to something there. Too many people want to place a label to something that they think is wrong with them, when in reality it's something completely normal. Definitely worth thinking about. That might even make a good thread on its own - you should consider starting one.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya i second that'
but i guess i was thinking PATHOLOGIZE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i got the frick'n S and Z mix'd up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi hatmaker'. did what tearj3rker said have some relation to this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i met a new friend who say's he's been on and off suboxone 3 or 4 times with out any bad w/d. but now is prescribed 12mg for over 4 months and staying on it. he said he feel's better and has things more under control and knows stopping it would give him some w/d. i told him probably a lot more. i told him to check out the sub forum.