It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Romeo,

No Oh Henry bars eh, that's gotta be tough. lol. They don't know what there missing. I get a lot of questions about milk in bags. I thought that was the norm.

I know it's only day 7 but some real sleep would be nice , even 4hours would nice. I had 2 seperate occasions where I had no sleep for 36+ hours. The only thing that keeps me going is a lot of practice. I worked 12 hour shifts for years.

You are right though, somehow we push through it. I think what makes it worst is you are feeling like crap. I'm not having much RLS anymore just a slightly restless body. Music usually calms that part down and a little exercise. I find I really have to push myself to work out. Not only that I find I have to push myself to eat.

Yes I have and have had lots of injuries. Had a couple bad motorcycle accidents, back injuries, knees to name a few. So far so good. Being retired has given my body a little rest. I am doing a little Consulting work for them when needed. Did 8 hours today. Today was not easy but I pushed through.

Thanks for the support my fellow Canadian,

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey James my friend,

It wasn't something I was looking forward to. Actually I went in Wednesday for 4 hours to get a game plan together for the issues they are having. I was hoping that was it. It's hard faking like your all there when 1/2 of you is in the bag.

At the end of that day they asked me to come back in Friday (today) for 8 hours. Faking for 4 hours compared to 8 is a lot tougher. I managed but it took every piece of strength I had both mentally and physically.

The good thing is they won't need me for a couple of weeks. Back to retirement.

Great to hear from you, lets see this fight through to the end brother, I've got your back.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Folks around here have NEVER heard of gravy on your french fries either. Can you believe that? Right after I moved here, I was at a restaurant, asked for gravy on my fries and they looked at me like I was from Mars? I'm in the part of the U.S. where dating your cousin is ok, but I can't get gravy on my fries. Sheesh!!! :)

I never had any bad motorcycle accidents, but I did have a run in with a mean oak tree. I kinda fell outta the stupid thing.....with a chain saw in one hand. My friends all told me had I landed on my head I would have bounced and been fine, but like a dumbass, I landed on my feet and broke the hell outta everything below both knees.

I know how much you miss sleep, man. My first 10 days off Suboxone I was getting 20 minutes of sleep per night with a big fat ZERO sleep on night 10. I kept wondering how in the hell I was going to survive, but I did. I kept fighting. I kept clawing my way forward and gradually things improved. One thing I realized after things got better is that I was way stronger than I had ever realized and you are too. Believe me, you are stronger than you know. You can do this.

K, I'm going to, Take Off, eh. (Bob and Doug McKenzie---I think I still have that stupid album)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Romeo,
Not only gravy, what about vinegar. When you ask for vinegar for your fries they think your from another planet. I guess down there you only use vinigar for washing windows.
But what are fries with out gravy.

How do you survive down there. First no Oh Henry bars, no gravy. Probably no Tim Hortons either. lol

Falling out of a mighty oak tree can be dangerous enough without a chainsaw in your hand. Man, that had to be a tough recovery. Are you still having trouble walking. I had a friend who did something similar, shattered both ankle amongst other things. Still has a lot of trouble to this day.

You are lucky the chainsaw didn't cut your arm or leg off. Another true story. A buddy of mine was doing what you were doing, he had a chain saw and was cut some branches off a big tree. He leaned out started cutting through a branch. as the branch fell the tree whipped back and the chainsaw cut through his upper arm. He ended up getting 200 stitches in and out but was one lucky man. Missed every important tendon, just cut into the muscle.

Sorry got carried away, your fall just reminded me of my best friend, he died 8 years ago of a heart attack at a very young age.

Finding new ways to manage our pain without opiates is very do able. I lightley stretch my whole body, ice what is sore, then add heat. I stay away from helping people move furniture, which they understand, bought a snow blower, ( my back likes to play tricks with me at any given moment). Learning what I can and cannot do anymore takes time. I still feel young mentally but physically my body feels older. It's not that Im out of shape, too much arthritis and scar tissue setting in from old and new injuries.

Even though Im struggling with sleep I am stoked to know I'm getting through this. With all the support from everyone here, it's an amazing feeling. Everyone here knows what we are going through and getting support from friends that have been there, is a comforting feeling.

Back to this sleep thing. I took a clonazepam last night just from exhaustion. I previously said I'm not going to get into those. My doc only prescribed me 14 pills but I wanted to stay away from them. I think I have now used 3 in the past 2 weeks. I just don't want to use another drug to get me by. I want to feel what I put my body through for the last 30 something years of abuse. I think I owe myself that. But I failed. Took that dam sleeping pill last night out of total exhaustion, I did sleep 5 hours. Felt great but I want to do this naturally.

My wife returns tonight or tomorrow so this will add a different challenge to my recovery. Haven't had much support from her.

Thanks for your support Romeo (I got a kick out of the cousin thing)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day 8 - Seem to always feel ok in the morning, struggled a bit yesterday getting my mojo. Had to fake it all day. I guess most of us have been good at faking our addiction for years. Most people had no idea what was going on.

I'd like to think I am slowly geting better, I know I am, very little if any RLS recently. I'm sure it will hit me once in a while but for the last few days it's been good. Still the biggest problem is sleep. I try not to take my prescribed sleep aid but gave in last night. It got me around 5 hours sleep. I needed it. I am going to continue to not use them and try an tough it out. Last night I had a moment of weakness. It won't happen again.

Over the last 3 weeks I've starting to lose weight. Was 210 now at 195. Being alone for this week it has been a struggle for me to cook. I know it's important to eat healthy during this process and I am trying. Going out to buy some more "Ensure" a protein drink. Banananas and other fruits. Not a big veggie eater.

Thanks for all the support, it means a lot.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@IWDT.... YOU ARE THE MAN!!! You are doing everything right. IT may not feel like it, but you are man. one day at a time.. Just keep telling yourself to make it to the next hour, then make it to the next, then the next. I know it seems like a long time, but what three weeks of your life compared to how long you were using? From what I have read, you're doing amazingly.

You asked about how long should you take the Klonopin, personally I wouldn't take it too much longer. That stuff can be really addictive, and the WDs from it ARE deadly. Maybe if the RLS is easing up, you could ask your doctor for something like Ambien, non habit forming, well.... that's actually a joke, you can for a habit of taking them, but there isn't supposed to be a physical addiction, but can become mentally addicted to them.

Look on the bright side, you already have the greatest weapon: Positive Attitude.... you'd be surprised how much your attitude can make or break it.

And last thought: Poutine!!! In the states, they have something similar, Chili Cheese Fries.... but I really want to try and find some good cheese curds (you can't get them down here) so I can try a REAL batch of Poutine (Can you tell that most of my friends are from Canada). You also can't beat a good cup of Timmy H's in the morning.... Dunkin' Donuts has NOTHING on Timmy's coffee!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@Reprieve

You are hilarious. It feels great to laugh. Thanks for cheering me up.

I have to agree with stopping all other meds now. That was actually my plan but I caved in last night from total exhaustion. It's cold turkey from here on in. Other then the vitamins I'm taking. Can't get hooked on them lol. I haven't had RLS for a couple of days. Just minor restlessness which I expect will hang around for a while. I have all the time in the world.

You are right, can't beat a Timmy's coffee. There's like one on every major corner here. I live in the Tim Horton Capital of Canada.

Thanks again for advice and support, much appreciated.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Another thought: Have you tried taking Melatonin? it's a natural hormone the body usually makes on it's own when the sun starts to go down to tell your body it's time to rest. You can find it with the natural supplements at any pharmacy/GNC I found it did work a bit. It's may be something that might take the edge of the restlessness enough to allow you to fall asleep a bit quicker. And maybe a glass of wine or a beer (I know you Canada's have some pretty strong beer compared to the States). I am not advocating in any way to drink heavily, but alcohol is a CNS depressant, and any time you have more than one chemical in the body that the liver is trying to clean, and the effects of each chemical becomes a bit stronger as the liver can only remove one toxin at a time.

With that said, Cold Turkey also has it's benefits. The brain is amazing at getting or creating what it needs. Although cold turkey is the hard way to go, it will allow your body to start to remember how to repair itself. Your body works hard to try and reach a state of homeostasis. When you add chemicals, your body doesn't have to create them (endorphins, hormones, etc) and after awhile it stops making them altogether. WDs are the lack of those chemicals coupled with your bodies inability to make them naturally. IT will, however, relearn to make them again.

Either way, just know we are here to support whatever decision you make ( as long as it's not the decision to relapse :P). You are on the downhill side of this, and you're doing GREAT. I am sure you are an inspiration to MANY MANY people on this forum and we're all rooting for you if not living vicariously through you! You are doing something that millions of people wish they had the strength to do. BE proud of that! You are a hero to many, and your story will be an inspiration to many others who come to this site. Don't forget where you are, where you're going, what you're doing it for, and where you came from. You are my hero and when it's my turn to jump, i'll be looking to you for inspiration!

Much love and much luck,

John (Reprieve) (I figured since you were giving your first name, I would give you mine...)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks John,

Wow, you sure know how to pick up a guys spirit. That was an incredible uplifting post. Too many nice things said to a guy that has been in a bad way a long time. But I appreciate it. It's friends like you that give me that extra push I need when I'm feeling down.

It just gives me reinforcement to be the person I once was. I think that would put me back to 14 years old. lol.

It's been a long journey this addiction, 3/4 of my life in one way or another. Maybe not an addict at the beginning but well on my way at a very young age.
I know I will beat this. It took me 15+ years hooked on serious drugs, 10 + years on 200mg of methadone and 5 years on subs to get to the point I'm at. This plan has been in the works for years. I had to make sure I was ready, able and willing. Once I got to that point it's a fight to the end. The only way I could lose is by not waking up. And it won't be because of an OD.

A friend on this forum mentioned to me (who is on day 21) that he went out for a beer with a friend. He said it put him back in WD for a few days. Not severe but he advised me against it. He only had a couple beers.

But I guess not everyone reacts the same.

Cold turkey I agree is the hard way but I want to see how fast my body can recover. The mental aspect is tough but hey, I did this to myself. A little more suffering may be good for me.

Melatonin? I haven't tried it but I may just do that. I'm so use to some big value drug to save the day. I've never had much luck buying aids off the shelf. But I may give it a try if I get ZERO SLEEP TONIGHT.

You know you made me use the dictionary on one of those words :) With you guys behind me, how can I fail. Man, the support here is the better than I could have ever imagined.

I'll be part of this forum for a long time to come. You guys are my support group.

Thanks again for that uplifting post. Together we can all get to a place we want to go.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry to hear about your friend who died of a heart attack. You have my deepest sympathies, man.

Your addiction history sounds similar to mine. I started with weed, hash and LSD at the age of 17, onto cocaine and crack at 25, then opiates at 29. Didn't start Suboxone until age 40, stayed on it 3 years and I've been off everything for almost 4 years now. If a knucklehead like me can do it, you can too!!

Your friend who shattered both ankles, that's pretty much what happened to me. I really don't have any trouble at all anymore, then again, both of my ankles are fused now. All in all, I had 7 surgeries over the years fixing everything, but the fusion surgeries were the ones that took most of the pain away. Has your friend considered having his ankles fused? If he's worried about walking with some kind of horrendous limp, tell him not to worry. Even though my ankles don't move, if you saw me walking down the street, you'd have no idea what had happened to me.

I like how you mentioned how you understand your limits in relation to pain. It took me a bit to figure that one out, but I finally got it. Running is a no no for me. I can do it, but I'll pay for it the next day! About the only time I run now is if my ass is on fire, which mercifully doesn't happen too often. :D

Repreive's suggestion of melatonin is good, I'm just not sure it's available in Canada? If it is, you should try it out. Also, and this is going to go against the grain, but I wouldn't worry too much about the Clonazepam (Klonopin). You only have 14 pills, Klonopin is a fairly weak benzo and as long as you continue being careful with them, I'd keep using them as needed. Totally up to you, Bud.

I'm glad you liked the cousin thing.....too bad it's true!! I'm 99% certain there are family trees down here with only 1 branch. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Romeo,

Thats fantatstic, 4 years clean. You must be so proud of yourself. It's reading these types of stories that prove it can be done. I've read (on other sites) nothing but horror stories about trying to get of Subs.

I don't want anyone to think I hate Subs. Man, without them I would be dead right now. My Methadone treatment got out of control. My doing but I was out of control. Still using, (my Dr worked with me at the same plant, both of us in management) never had to supply a urine test after the first 3 - 4 months.

So yes, I abused methadone. Thank's for Suboxone. I just knew it was time to get "clean".

Sorry Romeo, I get off topic sometimes. Your addiction history is almost carbon copy of mine.
My buddy with the ankles has had surgeries. I don't see him much as he and his wife moved out west (BC). He may have had one of them fused, can't remember.

I have to say this, yesterday was the best day I have had since jumping ( and weeks before as the taper from 2 - 1mg kept me in WD till I jumped). I kept busy most of the day but when I started losing that good feeling, I would get the room as dark as I could, put my headphones on and crank the music. This has been my favourite way to get out of a bad slump. It sure helps me.

I went to bed last night, took some time but did fall asleep. Woke up not knowing what time it was but instead of tossing and turning I just got up. It was 6:30am. Wow. I had a good day, I got to sleep with no aids.

I don't expect this to be the norm. I know i'm going to have bad and good days but wow, a good day makes this all worthwhile.

I'm going to get some Melatonin, can't hurt. Anything that could give me a better chance of night rest I'm all for it. I'm going to try and stay off the Klonopin, it's there if I absolutely need it. I think I have 11 left.
Probably the best sleep I had without any help.

Day 9 - Wife, daughter and grandkids got back last night from there Disney Cruise. Glad to have them back. This could add some stress to the situation though. Have to wait and see. My wife hasn't given me much support for what I'm doing. She's been pissed at me for ever. lol. Last night she did ask me how it was going and seemed happy for me. Maybe the time away has helped her. I hope so. I don't need the stress that she gave me before I jumped. Time will tell

So far this morning I still feel good and am looking forward to the rest of the day. Awesome.

Thank you everyone for your support. You guys, girls, are My Heroes.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Gary,

I'm also incredibly impressed with how well you are handling the physical wd! Maybe your taper was just enough to do some good, even if it wasn't as slow, or low as we would normally want to get.

I am still rooting for ya, and hoping you get a great nights sleep tonight.

As for your wife, it's entirely possible that the time away from each other will have helped her a bit. I would bet that as she see's you sticking to your jump, and not relapsing, she will start to come around. I know my husband got sick of the ups and downs, and proving that you have changed just doesn't work overnight. It takes time, and patience, and humility. I'm praying for you!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks you all for the incredible support. I know without the help from Q, hOpe, Reprieve, Romeo and everyone else who has given me great advice, unbelievable support, without judgement. I'm by no way out of the woods but I'm taking one day at a time. Still positive even on the bad days.

Today is one of those bad days. It's tough because yesterday was the best I've felt since I started tapering down. No actually, better than I can remember. My whole family was over, both son inlaws (who have been there for me this last week), my daughters and wife. I hope this didn't give any false expectations that I'm back. It was just an exceptionally good day.

Today was the exact opposite. But I know this is to be expected. Late this morning I had to force myself on the treadmill, did an hour, had a shower, still felt like crap. Went out to watch my grandson play hockey and couldn't get rid of the shakes. Sneezing like crazy the last few days. I hear that's a good sign.

Picked up some Melatonin (probably spelled that wrong) and we'll see if that helps. My favourite way of relaxing, headphones with the music cranked up.

Thank you again everyone, you guys and gal are incredible.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Spelled it perfectly!

I hope they help out just enough to get you through. It may have been a bad day, but really it was an awesome accomplishment. You made it through the day, you didn't hide in bedroom, you got out into life.... and now it's night time, so you successfully made it through another day without using.

I know, now here comes the tough part, NIGHT..... but, again... you'll make it. Take what it gives you, and deal with the rest.

Here's to wishing you a restful night.. Much love from down south.

John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Another day Sober , Good stuff

Hey man, Your doing incredible! I'm not just saying that. It's easy to see your Dead set on going through with this and you make it look easy. I couldn't see myself at day 6 going to work, or going to an Ice Rink on day 10. That cold would've Killed me! I understand why you had the shakes, haha. Your a strong Mother F*r . It continues to show through your posts.

Like reprieve said, Your not letting this subject you to a dark room. Your Out in life, in the thick of it. Your facing everything it seems with ease. I could take a page out of your book. It's hard for me to face people I've been hiding this from for 8 years. I could learn a thing or two from you man. I'll keep checking up on your brother, keep it up! BTW: There will be some ups and downs, but they pass. You being an outgoing person should make it more than manageable. GL2U

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@hOpe,
I'm taking a page out of your book. All I'm doing is following in your foot steps.
But yea, it was cold in that rink. That's one thing I'm finding tough, I'm always cold. I find myself wearing a tee shirt, and 2 sweaters all day. Can't get rid of the chills. My little buddy (grandson) has a 1 day tournament this morning. He has 3 games at least starting at 8am this morning. Going to be another chilly day at the rink.
Bumps in the road, I hate them. This forum is the only thing that is keeping me sane.
I'm going to be out your way in early March, 3 day hockey tournament.

@Reprieve,
I like the way you guys always look at the bright side. I've been taking your advice and not fighting the sleep thing. If I sleep for 1 hour thats's fine, I just get up. If it's more, bonus. I'm not going to let it piss me off. Use only Melatonin last night. Took a bit to fall asleep but eventually did with no other sleep aides. That's my goal for the next 7 days. No prescription sleep aides. I'll take what my body gives me.

Day 10 - It's been quite the journey, For some reason 3am seems to be my wake up time. Been pretty consistent from day 1. Always been a early riser but this is getting ridiculous. :)
I don't really care. It's pretty peaceful at that time in the morning. For some reason the first few hours of the day I feel like a million bucks. Just sitting in front of the fireplace (not shivering) thinking, life is good. Can't wait for his first game this morning.
Here's hoping the rest of the day gives me enough strength to enjoy a day of hockey. It has to, I love watching my grandkids play hockey. Even on my worst day I wouldn't miss it. You can always muster up enough strength to be where you know you need to be.

F.U. WD's your not going to beat me.

Peace and love, Gary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yeah, my wake up time was around 4am last time I tried to jump. After a bit I would get to 5 maybe 530 and then that just became my routine. I think I remember the constant cold chills going away between 2-3 weeks so you shouldn't have to suffer through that much longer.

Here's to wishing to well at the tourney, it should help just a bit to take your mind off of your stupid WDs.

Your positive outlook is and should be an inspiration to all those who stumble upon this thread.

Hope you have a great day Gary.

Much love,

John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

During my wd, music helped a ton. It helped me to keep moving forward and not lose my marbles. Thank goodness for Rock music!!

I'm glad you're prepared for the up's and down's of wd. That should help you to fight through. After I had made it through most of my wd, looking back I could see the wd was like a diminishing sine wave that was tilted up at a 45 degree angle. The bumps in the beginning seemed pretty large, they got smaller over time, but the whole while, I was getting better.

The bouts of sneezing are normal, too. Annoying as hell if ya have a mouthful of food, though. (Yuck, eh? lol)

Have you been watching any Olympic hockey? Team Canada is doing good. Did you see the Team USA vs Team Russia game? That TJ Oshie is amazing. Young kid taking all that pressure and gettin' 'er done!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

@ Reprieve,

I lasted 3 games today. They have 1 more but my body wouldn't let me stay. I feel bad, i have never missed a game or practice. Dam WD. Dam chills. It was freezing in the arena. They played a game every other hour. With any luck only 1 more week of the chills.

@Romeo,
If it wasn't for music (Rock and Roll) I would have gone nuts. It's my go to when I'm down. I may go deaf in another week. I like it loud. lol

There are many bumps happening. It can get frustrating. Just have to take it day by day. Sneezing, WTF, they come from nowhere. I had a mouth full of banana and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Watching as much Olympic hockey I can. That U.S. Russia game was something else. Your right, Oshie was incredible. Hope Canada doesn't have to go to a shoot out with U.S.A.

Mens and womens hockey has been great. It would be nice to see Canada and U.S.A battle for gold in mens and women's.

Take care guys,

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

iwilldothis wrote:
Sneezing, WTF, they come from nowhere. I had a mouth full of banana and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

I am definitely NOT laughing at you, but hopefully with you.... When I read this I almost spit my drink all over my monitor. I never had the sneezing problem, but my nose would run so much that I thought I would dehydrate.

I am sorry that you missed a game, but on the bright side you got to see 3. The main thing is that you are out and about, living life. You're not holed up, sitting around, and just giving up. You're fighting, you're progressing, and you're taking your life back. That's something to be proud of. You may be missing out on a little now, but in the long run you're actually giving a great gift to your family: Your sobriety.

I didn't get to watch the USA Vs Russia game, but I heard it was awesome.

Talk at you guys later,

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next