It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been on suboxone two times. The first time I was on Suboxone, I drank on it and I remember not really being that into my recovery. I ended up tapering off of suboxone to only relapse back on opiates. I am not blaming alcohol for my relapse, but it really did not help mixing other drugs and alcohol with the suboxone.

Now that I am on Suboxone a 2nd time. i am not drinking at all and I am way more focused on my recovery. I feel like I have a better chance of staying drug free with out alcohol. Alcohol is a tricky thing. I remember only having one glass of wine once in a while and over time it was more and more. I just don't think it is a good idea. I just think it gives you a better chance for success if you are not mixing other things with the Suboxone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I feel like ever since I've been on sub that A) I have zero desire to drink, and B) if I do try to have a drink socially, I almost instantly feel like shit. And if I push through it and have another, I feel even worse and absolutely ZERO buzz or euphoria. In fact, I am looking forward to being done with sub so I can enjoy a glass of wine or a really fancy manhattan once again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Naltrexone (Suboxone) is used in the Sinclair Treatment for treatment of Alcohol Abuse (Alcoholism). Naltrexone has been approved in the USA for 20 years to be used for this treatment and to be used while drinking. In fact you have to drink for it to work. So it's safe. Used in Europe with 80% success rate.

I've used this method and now have no problems with alcohol. Struggled for almost 30 years trying to stay sober and I was in the majority of people that AA didn't work for. AA works for only 3% of people after 5 years. AA's own numbers in their literature.

I can drink if I want to, and do at times but usually only have 1.

I've had no side effects from the medication.

So there is my comment on this subject.

Yes! You did hear that about it being used for alcohol!

go to SinclairMethod.com, free, and check it out.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:29 am 

This is also a good site to check: http://www.hamsnetwork.org/naltrexone/

The Sinclair method doesn't use buprenorphine at all, but does use naltrexone. The results seem promising!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some people can drink manageably and still be in recovery off narcotics. Others cannot. It's a very individual thing. I'm very against people assuming that what works for them must be the same for everybody else.

One thing to keep in mind though. My doctor mentioned to me at my last appointment that alcohol can speed up your metabolism of Suboxone. Which may help explain why the opening poster experienced yuckness the day after.