It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Alcohol on sub
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Who thinks its ok to drink while trying to live a clean and sober life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey RonnieSR -

Just out of curiosity - is this a question that is intended to help people who browse and participate in the forum, or rather a question to build some consensus that we can point to - and say - see ...?

If this is intended to simply be like a 'poll' maybe a moderator could consider putting it as a poll, where people give their opinions.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just want to see what people think.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

For the most part I gave it up. I have a beer every now and then but I never really had a problem with drinking. My problem is that when i'm drunk I want drugs, and with a diminished self control, well I just don't trust myself. I did try drinking several months ago, but I got sick long before I got drunk. It was like I skipped the fun and went straight to the hangover. Haven't drank since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yeah I can't just do a little of something I have to do a lot of everything together and that's no freaking good so I just do nothing and that works best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Drinking has never been a problem for me, and I think that most opioid addicts its not. but, Now after subs for over a year, i can't really drink without getting very sick. four beers = huge headache in 4 hours!! and as someone eles said when I get drunk I want drugs!! so its best not to drink to much wile recovering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is kind of an interesting question and topic. Alcohol use itself is not really something that I have ever had any sort of trouble with. For me, it's pretty much nothing other than opiates that has been a problem. I continue to wonder, why do I have this problem with opiates? I have never drunk very much. I don't think I've ever really been "drunk" in the literal sense. I know I've never gotten sick from drinking. I currently, and always have, drank once or twice a month. Most often it is a glass of wine with a nice dinner. I'll have a beer now and then or I'll have a mixed drink now and then. Rarely do I ever have more than two of anything in one day. The last time I really drank with any frequency was about ten months ago on a cruise. I've been warned that given my opieate abuse, I should be careful that I don't all of a sudden have an issue with alcohol abuse. I guess it could happen, but it's just not at all an issue as far as I can tell.

Now, for me, it doesn't just stop there. I have never taken a single puff off of a single cigarette in my entire life. I've never tried pot, coke, meth, benzos, or whatever. Don't ask me why I had this completely straight laced life up until opiates snuck up and got me. I just have no desire to drink and am afraid of other drugs. I was never even remotely tempted to move to heroin. Again, I have no idea why.

This very well is a different question and discussion. But for me, alcohol has not and is not a problem even though I'll still have that drink or two a month. Whether or not it's different or not now that I'm on Sub, I guess I’m not even sure. I've only been on Suboxone for 3.5 months and the last time I drank anything was with Christmas dinner and that was two glasses of wine. It didn't seem to affect me in any abnormal way. I didn't even drink on New Years Eve. Perhaps I'm just not the typical addict. But yes, Ronnie, at least FOR ME, I can very easily drink like I have been and still have a clean and sober life. I'm just not very sure that I'm the average guy in this regard.

By the way, on top of all of this, I play in various bands - many times in bars - and I still rarely drink. Just please don't take away my Suboxone and hand me a bottle of Percocet or its all over. Give me a case of beer, bottle of wine or some booze and it will still be sitting there months later. The pills will be gone in days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'd have to second you on that donh. I have been a heavy social drink in the past,and i used to smoke alot of weed. At some point i lost my taste for weed. I just completely stopped liking the way i felt when i smoked it. My drinking calmed down as i got older, but when i started to use these pills as a recreational drug it was over. I don't see how i could ever stop liking the way i feel on an opiate. As far as alcohol goes i just end up wishing my beer or my glass of wine was a handful of pills and because of that i can never get too wrapped up in drinking. It just doesn't do it for me so i don't abuse it. Like you i don't see this changing now that I'm on suboxone. So, i guess it really is up to the individual. If you ever have a problem controlling your alcohol intake i would say its probably a bad idea, because we all have show a tendency towards substance abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never been a big drinker, although I drink less now than pre-suboxone. I only have a drink once every 6 months or so and never more than one at a time. I could never get drunk without being sick first.
I was also a heavy pot smoker. Now that I did give up when I started suboxone. When it comes to pot, I'm an all or nothing and I know it would quickly escalate.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think any mind altering substance can be a slippery slope for people with addictive personalities. I'm with most of you on the fact that I have never had a problem with alcohol. I don't even like the drunk feeling. Funny how that is that we don't like the alcohol buzz. In the last year I have had a glass or two of wine at my dinner parties a couple of times. But as my counselor says "If you don't have a problem with it, you won't have a problem giving it up". I generally refrain from drinking.

I have great compassion for alcoholics. I don't know that I would be in recovery if I could grab a bottle of Lortab off the shelf when I got gas for my car at the convenience store. LOL

*Christopher Robin to Pooh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I notice that every time I drink on suboxone, which has been probably a dozen times since I started sub in july 2007, that the experience was not pleasant and it took and takes a lot of booze to feel good while on sub. This is the reason why drinking on sub sucks. You need to drink a lot to actually feel good, and by the time you actually start feeling good you get sick. The bupe must be occupying receptors that the alcohol would normally activate. So the suboxone must be blocking the euphoric effects of alcohol, because I notice that drinking just isn't the same as it was before I was on sub.

I never became a big drinker but I can honestly say opioids were the cause of me not turning into an binge drinking fanatic like most of my friends while I was 19-22, which were the years a started using opioids consistently. Once I started using oxycontin, drinking became a joke to me and I honestly thought I was cooler then everyone who drank because I was using the best drugs money can buy the way I saw it.

I used to call my oxycontin, "designer drugs." Like the Louis Vuitton of highs. I was such an idiot thinking back. Before opioids, I did drink to get f**ked up, and I would say right before I became a serious opioid user I started to do cocaine while I drank, but only on a monthly basis. I would say I was drinking 3 days a week right before I switched to opioids, so I obviously switched addictions; I was also a chronic marijuana smoker but continued pot while on opioids every time I had the opportunity, which wasn't often do to costs of my expensive opioid habit.

But once I started using vicodin and oxycontin the alcohol stopped completely while being an opioid addict and I actually was proud of my ability to not drink while all my friends were. It did give me an advantage hooking up and picking up girls while being high on oxycontin vs being stupid drunk on booze, which was another reason I thought my addiction was superior to alcohol. I guess that was the only positive thing opioids did for me back in those days. I was really an idiot while I drank, so that is the only reason I say that.