It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, Here we go, Been on Sub, for about 3 weeks, started with a very sm. dosage 2mg twice a day for a week,, wasn't working, then took starting doing 2 mgs, 4x a day, and feeling like SHIT , at the end of the day, think that just was because of the habit of taking so many damn Vicodins throughtout the day. Didn't like that feeling at all. So I started Monday just doing 4mgs 2x a day, and i finally feel stablized, which is GREAT. Finally able to break the habit of doing Vic's all day, and that feeling is great. also.
My question is sometimes we all have BAD, depressed days, and just feel like having a couple of drinks just to feel relaxed. Has anybody DRANK ALCOHOL when taking Subs, and if so how does it affect you, or is their any side affects with just having a couple drinks? Sure in Hell don't want to start throwing up everywhere or have anything bad happen to me,esp. when i'm finally starting to feel good about myself and things.
Thanks for this forum, it really HELPS, when you can ask questions and there all ppl that we can relate to. Its Really Helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We've talked about this subject before. Personally, I do drink very occasionally and have no problems whatsoever. I've heard some people say they feel a little more dehydrated and hung over than they used to. But as far as I'm concerned, there isn't any real problem in having one or two drinks while on sub.

I will say this, though. You might want to think about drinking to deal with your problems. It's the same as what we used to do with pills, and might not be the best way to learn new coping skills while in recovery. I drink in social situations only and avoid drinking when I feel like I need to numb my feelings. That said, it's not my place to tell you when or when not to drink. I just wanted to share with you my perspective. Take it for what it's worth, the opinion of a faceless online stranger.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:39 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi jflinfo--

I just wanted to say that I can relate to what you're saying and also that I have never noticed any side effects to drinking alcohol while on sub except that it seems to take away my desire to drink heavily, and that is a good thing. Previously I had been known to use alcohol as a substitute for my DOC, which really was just trading one problem with substance to another, as I drank so heavily during that period. Now however, I do drink occasionally, but the sub seems to keep me from overdoing it. Now, I don't want to encourage you to drink, I'm just telling you how it's been for me. I too suffer from depression, and I get that feeling of just wanting SOMETHING to make me feel different. But alcohol is known as a depressant that is likely to make depression worse. I have also heard that sometime suboxone helps depression, but I am not sure that is the case for me. I'm on antidepressants as well, and have had pretty helpful results from that, though not a 100% cure or anything. So, if your depression is really severe or constant, I'd encourage you to consider antidepressants if you havent' already, and to keep the drinking to a minimum, and also, to remember that drinking is not recommended in aiding with depression. In any case, I wish you luck, it's great that you are overall having success with sub now.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ive been taking suboxone for the past 3 weeks at about 2mgs a day some days maybe a lil more but not more than 3mgs. Yesterday was a rough day and for whatever reason I decided to drink 2 glasses of mixed cap n coke I know it's not good to run to the bottle as I did with opiates, however I had only taken about 2mgs of sub at the time I drank the liquor, I felt great from about 4-6:30pm right after than I started to begin to feel restlessness in my legs and just overall agitation I ended up having to take another 2mgs total of 4mgs (what I'm prescribed) just to feel normal. And it did work other than a brief moment washing dishes about 30 minutes after I ate the 2mg sub. I'm sure everybody is different but taking suboxone and then drinking hard liquor made me feel like shit and I won't ever be doing that again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is actually quite common from what I've read. Also a lot of people (myself included) report they have no desire to drink while on sub. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am just gonna throw this out here.
I would urge you to stay away from alcohol. Alcohol, in my opinion, is pure poison to your liver. I can honestly say that nothing good ever came from drinking. That is not to say that I have not drank on sub. I have & it was not good. Not any part of it. I did not get any pleasure, or good feeling. In fact it made me naseous and stuffed up, I slept like crap and the next day I had extremely low energy and evern felt depressed. Even when I drank "just a couple beers". In the past, I usually enjoyed a cocktail or two, but since on sub, I have mostly stayed away from alcohol. I instead smoke a little weed. It gives me a very relaxed and happy feeling, I sleep soundly and my appetite improves. I live in Ca and I have a medical card under prop. 215 so it is legal for me to smoke and posess. This is just my opinion and obviously others do not share my view. I am currently tapering off sub and I plan to stay away from booze after I am off. I just feel it has really done more harm than good in my life. I can not think of one single person that gets anything positive from alcohol.
On another note, congrats on your stabelizing. It feels so wonderful to be out from under our addictions and be able to function normally in life. I wish you much luck in your recovery and be easy on yourself. You seem to have had a rough go at sub in the beginning. Give yourself time to really enjoy being clean. I sure hope you did not take any offense to my reply. Many blessings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:27 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sweet16 wrote:
I am just gonna throw this out here.
I would urge you to stay away from alcohol. Alcohol, in my opinion, is pure poison to your liver. I can honestly say that nothing good ever came from drinking. That is not to say that I have not drank on sub. I have & it was not good. Not any part of it. I did not get any pleasure, or good feeling. In fact it made me naseous and stuffed up, I slept like crap and the next day I had extremely low energy and evern felt depressed. Even when I drank "just a couple beers". In the past, I usually enjoyed a cocktail or two, but since on sub, I have mostly stayed away from alcohol. I instead smoke a little weed. It gives me a very relaxed and happy feeling, I sleep soundly and my appetite improves. I live in Ca and I have a medical card under prop. 215 so it is legal for me to smoke and posess. This is just my opinion and obviously others do not share my view. I am currently tapering off sub and I plan to stay away from booze after I am off. I just feel it has really done more harm than good in my life. I can not think of one single person that gets anything positive from alcohol.
On another note, congrats on your stabelizing. It feels so wonderful to be out from under our addictions and be able to function normally in life. I wish you much luck in your recovery and be easy on yourself. You seem to have had a rough go at sub in the beginning. Give yourself time to really enjoy being clean. I sure hope you did not take any offense to my reply. Many blessings.

ABOUT DRINKING: I suppose i am the odd man out, but i feel alcohol is a deadly drug just like our drugs of choice. Whenever I was completely out of my doc I always turned to drinking because i just had to have SOMETHING to make me feel better. A doctor once told me if you put a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts in a treatment center and didn't give them anything all night (ex: librium for the alcoholics) you would have a bunch of dead alcoholics in the morning, but with the addicts you would just have a bunch of people who were very "pissed off". What I got out of that statement was that alcohol was more dangerous than drugs?? I just feel like alcohol is a dangerous drug for addicts.
We tend to get addicted to anything and alcohol is an addicting drug. I switched from alcohol to drugs because my husband said he was not going to live with a "drunk wife". ....so I just turned to pills and really liked them a whole like better because i could function and it didn't show like being drunk. Of course this is just my opinion but I wonder is there anywone out there that feels like I do about dringing. I just feel if i am on sub and trying to get sober I should not take any other mind-altering drugs, unless for medical purposes. ... that is just me...........Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Let's try to keep the proselytism out of the discussion.

I'm with autononymous / hatmaker on this. I'd also like to add that, drinking while stabilising on Suboxone. I'd imagine it could easily mess with your perception of your side-effects, your symptoms, and how stable you are. By drinking on Suboxone, you may actually delay your stabilisation, as you won't be able to tell your doctor whether X feeling was from being hungover, or from the Suboxone, you know?

Alcohol is no better / no worse than the other drugs IMO. They all have their own uses and pitfalls, and they all have potential for addiction & abuse. Sure you can die from alcohol detox, but you can also die from abusing opiates. All drugs kill in their own unique ways, sadly.

Really watch the "drinking for relief". I'd cut that out completely, personally.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Opiates and alcohol never really mixed for me, it was as though drinking put me into a type of opiate withdrawel, even though I only take 1mg of Suboxone a day I still dont enjoy drinking like I did ... Also every once in a while I used to enjoy smoking a little weed , That also stopped once tramadol became my DOC.... I've tried smoking a bit while on Suboxone and dont feel comfortable.. I'm 53 yrs old and I guess its time to enjoy things without needing something to make me feel better...Good Luck, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I used to love drinking. However, as soon as i started my suboxone regimen i began to loathe it. Not because the alchohol is taking away anything from the feeling of the subs (like i felt with H and Oxy... hated drinking on them . would rather be jammed up watching TV than drunk and uncomfortable.), but because after a couple of drinks (used to love beer, no i cannot drink it. Just the thought makes my stomach turn) i hit a wall. I loose interest, feel sick, and stop. I never sleep on booze and get a 3 day hangover (im only 30 y/o). Horrible. Anyone else feel this way? I love the social aspects of booze, but just cant stand it anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:52 am 
Opioids and liquor never mixed for me for the most part. I got to a point in my last couple years of active use when I was so incredibly physically addicted to benzodiazepines that if I ran out, I would have to use alcohol to rely on the benzo/alcohol cross-tolerance so I wouldn't have a seizure. At points in my life that I haven't been tolerant to opioids, I have used alcohol extremely abusively and the nightmares of those days greatly outweigh any fond memories; this is important for me to remember when I think how 'fun' it would be to have 'just 1 or 2' drinks. Buprenorphine and methadone before it, for me, has all but completely taken away my desire to drink alcohol. I have gotten drunk one time in the early days on buprenorphine and as someone else said, I was soooo dehydrated the next day I never wanted to repeat it and I haven't. I felt like the recovering guy in an after school special yesterday when a friend I hadn't seen in probably ten years learned that I was in recovery, he said "so you don't really do anything fun anymore?" I said, as the recovering guy in an after school special would, "Bryan, you don't have to drink to have fun." It's true as I do have tons of fun and I go to parties and places where drinking alcohol is happening, but I don't have to do it and even better, I don't have any desire to!

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never had an alcohol problem. I've was casually drinking the whole time on Suboxone, then in July I decided to have 6 months off alcohol to raise money for the local detox/rehab. It really hasn't been hard at all, really. Not in the same ballpark as quitting smoking. It has hit my social life a bit, as down here meeting your friends = beers, and a bloke not drinking isn't a bloke at all! :lol:

Still... some ex-junkies get away with drinking occasionally. I know quite a few who have the odd beer / wine and live just fine.

If I could have gotten addicted to alcohol, I wouldn't have become a heroin addict! I just don't understand this temperance league that materialises on this board every time someone mentions alcohol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It is all for one purpose, to alter your state of consciousness. Centuries ago, even up to the mid 19th century people drank lots of alcohol, but they drank it because the alcohol made whatever beverage it was in safe to drink. Water was so unsanitary that people's only choice was to consume alcohol or die of thirst. This is no longer the case, and although most of us like to enjoy some brews with the friends (myself included), Tear has a good point. We all are here because we all have a propensity to abuse mind-altering substances, albeit the ones I abused were illegal and, yes, alcohol is legal, but it is also a mind-altering elixir; something that everyone here should be avoiding like the plague. I understand that everyone on here is different, and I'm not judging anyone on their choices; that would be the pot calling the kettle black. But how many times do you remember drinking, and doing something stupid, or something that you regret? Wouldn't it stand to reason that history will repeat itself if you don't learn from it? IMO why would you even take the risk of falling of the mountain to the rocky bottom AGAIN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

All great points. I would like to mention that Dr. J has a perfect example in the "my story" section of his site. I believe he had been clean for a while and eventually justified drinking a beer while watching football. It started innocent enough but eventually turned into full-on alcoholism. I never had a problem drinking, and don't ever see it becoming a problem, but this disease evolves and adapts. It's stories like Junigs that show how easy it is to fool ourselves into a relapse. Why risk it? Especially if it's making you sick, however minor it may be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MrChris wrote:
We all are here because we all have a propensity to abuse mind-altering substances, albeit the ones I abused were illegal and, yes, alcohol is legal, but it is also a mind-altering elixir; something that everyone here should be avoiding like the plague. I understand that everyone on here is different, and I'm not judging anyone on their choices; that would be the pot calling the kettle black. But how many times do you remember drinking, and doing something stupid, or something that you regret?

I don't drink to get drunk. The only times I've done stuff I've regretted on alcohol was while I was a binge-drinking teenager. I just don't like the feeling of being drunk. That's why I settled on heroin.

All's I'm trying to say is, just because alcohol doesn't work for you, doesn't mean all recovering addicts should be 100% abstinent from alcohol. The thought / idea is ridiculous. Many addicts have a risk of cross-addiction to alcohol, but not all of them. When people claim that no recovering addict can drink alcohol manageably, it denies the option of drinking from those recovering addicts who can actually do it. It's totally one-size-fits-all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:12 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I haven't drank in over a year since I started Sub. I am open to having a few beers eventually, but now is not the time. I would suggest you make a vow to not use anything except prescribed meds for 3 months and than see how you feel. If you just got on sub and are still craving than you have to really examine the reasons why and do so honestly. Our mind can play some crazy tricks on us. Anyone who has ever been dependent on something can attest to this. If I were in your shoes, wanting to drink because I was depressed and had a bad day would start throwing up some red flags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I did end up having a two or three beers over the weekend. It was okay, but not how I remembered it. Basically, I didn't seem to enjoy it that much, plus the "buzz" felt different. At first I thought this was only because of the medication, but then I realized that its also an issue of me not getting "relief" from the alcohol since I am not a ball of nerves all day. I could imagine drinking on a higher dose being much less enjoyable.

If you do decide to drink, you have to remain honest with yourself. I know a guy who drinks on Suboxone who just does it out of habit and states that he doesn't really enjoy it per say.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I kno its dumb to replace our DOC mine being heroin w/alcohol but I have a good time drinking I hate taking subs you cant drink for shit you dont get that warm relaxed fun feeling just body warm & nausous as fuck. I drank b4 my addiction just fine I had no problem w/alcohol in fact we got along well, I swear the fact that I cant drink makes me wana go to the D (detroit) & jus get heroin. I dont drink beer I like liquor so can sum1 please not be self righteous & just tell me how I can be able to drink w/my friends finally instead of being a shut in junkie