It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Alcohol On New Years
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 am 
Ive been on suboxone since Dec 1 2011. I was wondering if i could drink on new years eve and not take suboxone that day so i could do it safely. Ive gone 18 hours without suboxone cause i forgot it at home and i was at work for 12 hours and i didnt feel any withdraws. But my question is how long do i need to wait to have a drink after my last dose of suboxone? I havent drank for over 2 months now. I drank here and there before being on pain killers. Drinking was never a problem for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi GetErDone5 and welcome. Technically, you don't have to stop taking suboxone if you want to have a drink or two. If you've just started suboxone and your remission/recovery though, do you really want to start drinking again, so soon? Obviously it's totally up to you. And you're right, not all opiate addicts have issues with alcohol. I, for one, don't either. I've been on sub for over 3 years now and I haven't had a drink for over a year. I just don't care to drink - which actually is a common side effect of sub: a non-interest in drinking.

Anyway, it's up to you if you want to have a drink or two. But you don't have to stop taking your suboxone if you want to do that.
Just be careful about drinking to excess since you're so new to recovery, but that's just my unsolicited advice.

Have a great new year's eve, regardless. And again, welcome to the forum! :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Seems pretty early to drink. You haven't even been on Sub for a full month yet. Not being rude, but you are not going to find anyone that is going to tell you "yeah, go ahead". You have to make your own choices. Hopefully you are serious about your "recovery" (hate to use that 12 step word but that is the best way to describe).

Personally, I haven't had anything besides sub since I started well over a year ago (last October). I am considering allowing myself to have a few drinks sometime (I am also tapering off Sub right now), but doing so on New Years, which is often a pretty heavy drinking holiday, doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

stephent wrote:
Seems pretty early to drink. You haven't even been on Sub for a full month yet. Not being rude, but you are not going to find anyone that is going to tell you "yeah, go ahead". You have to make your own choices. Hopefully you are serious about your "recovery" (hate to use that 12 step word but that is the best way to describe).

Personally, I haven't had anything besides sub since I started well over a year ago (last October). I am considering allowing myself to have a few drinks sometime (I am also tapering off Sub right now), but doing so on New Years, which is often a pretty heavy drinking holiday, doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

I was going to say the same thing you will not find to many people on this forum that would tell you its ok. I personally don’t think it’s a good idea due to the simple fact you have just started your recovery and WE ALL DO STUPID THINGS WHEN WE R DRUNK. I get the concept you never had a problem with booze but I never had a problem with coke till I tried when I was drunk one night like I said you don’t think straight when in that mind state.

But let’s face facts you are grown and can do what you want, so I will give you the benefit of answering your question. I was on suboxone for 4 almost 5 years before I switched to methadone I prolly got drunk like 15 times during my time on suboxone. And I did what you are asking every time I would skip my dose for that day and drink with no problems. I don’t know how some people do it but I could not drink while on suboxone 1 drink was like 10 to me. So I advise you if you do drink don’t take any sub that day or you will regret it from my experience.

But again I don’t condone this and think it’s a really bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:03 pm 
Why would you skip your sub to drink?

Sounds like a great way to become quickly nauseated, between the alcohol and w/d.

Don't drink too much. There is probably some slightly increased risk of respiratory depression combining alcohol with Sub.

Post subject: drinking
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi,

OK so I'm one person who has the opinion that yes, go ahead, drink. I don't drink a lot, but I've never had a problem drinking while on suboxone. In fact, sub seems to have a bit of a blocking effect on the alcohol for me. But I don't know your history. If you are one of those people who can't have a few drinks and must drink until they pass out, then it's probably not a good idea. So I'm not saying go out and get smashed, but I think you are fretting over this a bit too much.
Happy new year!
Jimmy

Post subject: true that
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:20 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ironic wrote:
Why would you skip your sub to drink?

Sounds like a great way to become quickly nauseated, between the alcohol and w/d.

Don't drink too much. There is probably some slightly increased risk of respiratory depression combining alcohol with Sub.

exactly! don't know why someone would skip their dose :roll: ...freakin' moronic, I TELL you!...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

C'mon, is the use of the word "moronic" really necessary? This is where we get into the realm of what is and what is not a personal attack. I get it-no one is calling anyone a moron, but the statement is tantamount to saying something about the question is moronic. I object to that because as we all know, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Besides, it's not exactly very welcoming to people.

Let's just be NICE to people and not try to scare them away or make them feel like shit...K? Just sayin'....

It's still the holiday season, so let's get us some of that holiday cheer, shall we?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Last edited by hatmaker510 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 am 
When people ask questions like this it makes me nervous.

Why? Because you gotta wonder what this person knows about the very serious drug they are taking every day. It makes me nervous that people sign up for Sub treatment without informing themselves about what they're doing. Post drug days, it's important to know what we are putting in our bodies.

So I definitely understand indigo's reaction, but we won't name-call. OP, surf the web and arm yourself with the necessary knowledge. We will try our best here to answer your questions. If you aren't sure about someone's answer, Google will help you double check the facts.

Just say know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I skip my dose every time i drank and call me crazy but it allowed me to drink like a normal person. When i would drink on suboxone i could barely finish a six pack without being sick as a dog from the interaction. I was never able to mix booze with dope even before suboxone.

And i saw the word moronic and im sorry i have to say this. What would be more moronic than drinking on suboxone? I mean they dont put that sticker about mixing booze with suboxone on your pill bottle everytime for the hell of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:24 pm 
Bboy42287 wrote:
I skip my dose every time i drank and call me crazy but it allowed me to drink like a normal person. When i would drink on suboxone i could barely finish a six pack without being sick as a dog from the interaction. I was never able to mix booze with dope even before suboxone.

And i saw the word moronic and im sorry i have to say this. What would be more moronic than drinking on suboxone? I mean they dont put that sticker about mixing booze with suboxone on your pill bottle everytime for the hell of it!

I just gotta say that an entire six pack to yourself is not "normal drinking" to most people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well, for what it's worth- i am currently on 4 mg of Suboxone, and today, i am drinking.

I started this morning with a few sips of homemade wine... then, i made the choice to go get a whole bottle
of wine- well, that didn't seem like enough- so, i got my friend to go get me a 12-pk of beer.

Then, i went to a family member's place- and had a coffee with Canadian Mist in it- and had gotten some of
that whiskey to go in an empty vanilla bottle...

I am just being totally honest, here...

oh- and- i still feel sober!!

-ex-

Post subject: didn't mean
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hatmaker510 wrote:
C'mon, is the use of the word "moronic" really necessary? This is where we get into the realm of what is and what is not a personal attack. I get it-no one is calling anyone a moron, but the statement is tantamount to saying something about the question is moronic. I object to that because as we all know, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Besides, it's not exactly very welcoming to people.

Let's just be NICE to people and not try to scare them away or make them feel like shit...K? Just sayin'....

It's still the holiday season, so let's get us some of that holiday cheer, shall we?

to be a personal attack. Sorry, the last thing we (online community) want to do is scare people OR make them feel unwelcome. I shouldn't say moronic. That's what I would say to anyone in person, though. It's only because I care and hope everyone takes their recovery seriously. It just makes no sence in my mind. Why would you ask us if you can have a drink(s). If you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't drink. But, skipping a dose?- that would never occur to me even if you didn't abuse alcohol..if you have to ask an online community and are planning on skipping doses; odds are you ain't having one drink...I mean , REALLY? It's like the cunning alcoholic/addict asking their wife if they should have a beer after the packers game. I'm thinking of JJ and what that thinking and validation led to...............................

Post subject: AA meetings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

for those of you that have been to a meetings- CAUTION: a curse word might come out rather than taking the moral high road- like talking to a judge :oops: ...sometimes people need to be shakin up a little, though...whether it's sarcasm and maybe an occasional curse word comes up...i know breezy has a sarcasm deal..............................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bring on Suboxforum resident Temperance League. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Alcohol On New Years
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:32 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

GetErDone5 wrote:
Ive been on suboxone since Dec 1 2011. I was wondering if i could drink on new years eve and not take suboxone that day so i could do it safely. Ive gone 18 hours without suboxone cause i forgot it at home and i was at work for 12 hours and i didnt feel any withdraws. But my question is how long do i need to wait to have a drink after my last dose of suboxone? I havent drank for over 2 months now. I drank here and there before being on pain killers. Drinking was never a problem for me.

BTW, this is a NICE :D forum, so be NICE :D and introduce yourself first before a few members get their panties in a wad over me saying moronic. This is your 2nd? post after all. We want to get to know you? Looking back, skipping a dose is moronic. I take all that back. I didn't infer HE is a moron. Skipping a dose whether to use OR drink, IS moronic. I hope everbody doesn't skip any doses this holiday season to USE whatever drug: booze OR dope...you are on Bupe for a reason right? It's easy and a common occurance to trade out addictions! There, I said what's on my mind for my 3rd post, I apologized profusely on my first 2...I guess it was easier piggy-backing off ironic's post, than writing all this, to explain why I think skipping doses (not name-calling) is moronic. Also, the guy (jimmy?) that said, OK, go drink..what the hell are you thinking? You don't know this person from Adam and you are basically telling a random stranger{ it's cool to booze it up, yo! I do!} sheesh..I guess that's why this is a forum with touchy subjects like addiction, which could be life or death. I don't think it's good practice to tell a one- time poster to' booze it' and explore tweaking suboxone. How about a little positive re-inforcement people(jimmy). sheeesh, I TELL you! I understand some mods have an agenda of making first-timers feel welcome, but don't let that clog your mind from sound advice.

BTW, I'm done with this thread and these are my final thoughts. I TELL you! please don't erase.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ironic wrote:
Bboy42287 wrote:

I just gotta say that an entire six pack to yourself is not "normal drinking" to most people.

Is there a such thing as normal drinking? I dont know how some people do it meaning drink booze cause they like the taste of it. If i drank i would drink to get drunk and that why im a addict i guess u can say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Bboy42287 wrote:
Ironic wrote:
Bboy42287 wrote:
I skip my dose every time i drank and call me crazy but it allowed me to drink like a normal person. When i would drink on suboxone i could barely finish a six pack without being sick as a dog from the interaction. I was never able to mix booze with dope even before suboxone. I have suffered for insomnia for my entire life and am on sleeping meds for it. I often would try to use alcohol as a sleeping medication. There was a difference between when I would go and have a few beers with friends and when I couldn't sleep and was desperate enough to try to have some beers to help me sleep. Obviously the later is not a good way to address my sleeping issues and I now know this better than ever.

Is there a such thing as normal drinking? I dont know how some people do it meaning drink booze cause they like the taste of it. If i drank i would drink to get drunk and that why im a addict i guess u can say.

I love the taste of different craft beers, in fact I know quite a bit about them. I also know which types of artisan cheese to pair up with each style of brew. I age barley wines. I definitely enjoy the taste of beer. I also used to sometimes "drink to forget". I knew the difference right away. "Drinking to forget" is not healthy, enjoy a beer or two is fine.

Around 6th months it was difficult for a few weeks, I really wanted to have a damn beer. But I knew that it was not the right time and was a bad idea. Now with over a year completely off of everything except perscribed meds do I feel like I can have a beer or two sometime soon and see how I feel about it. I am going to wait until after the holidays though to consider this.

A major factor in me being able to achieve my definition of "sobriety" is due to making vows. I vowed to myself to not use anything at all for a year. Than after that I made a vow to wait until after New Years. I had to prove to myself that I did have self-control and could live life sober. That was difficult because for the first 6 months I was attending 12 step meetings almost daily where I was being told that "vows were not enough" and that I had no control by myself. At around 6 months I became confident enough to listen to the warning alarms going off in my head about how uncomfortable I was feeling with the whole 12 step deal. I also felt confident enough to develop my own "program".

Anyways back to the concept of "vows". For me personally, this allowed me to get through the times when I was around alcohol. My friends would ask "do you ever plan on having another beer?"... I would tell them "not right now, maybe later" and that was it. It also let them know that if I did randomly ask for a drink (which I never did) they could say "Hey, you told use that you wanted to wait till at least this long so no". Basically I knew that I was making my intentions clear to my family and friends. Furthermore, if I do decide to have a drink they know that it is not a spur of the moment decision.

If you do decide to drink after having issues with dependency I think you have to have the ability to be very honest with yourself. In my experience, it takes longer than one month to get over the denial factor. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to drink that early, especially in a situation in which you can be pressured into drinking more.

Lots of people do not drink responsibly. Our society doesn't exactly encourage it either (though it likes to pretend it does).

Be safe whatever you decide to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think you should not have taken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I ended up having a few sips of wine on saturday. Wasn't much, but I felt a small buzz. Everything seemed fine and I feel okay enough to try having a beer or two when I feel like it. We need to remember we are taking an opiate though before we drink, so it might intensify effects.