It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: alcohol and Suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello to all. I was actually on this forum before but could not remember my user name so I had to register again. I was addicted to methadone and started out on 24 mg a day of sub. I got down to 6mg a day in about a year and there I got stuck. My doc has been willing to leave me on 6mg for several months now. Recently I've been unable to sleep, even though he gives me something to take at night. That stopped working and over the last several weeks I have taken to drinking 2 or 3 ounces of liquer just before bedtime and it has helped me go to sleep but in the last week I feel like I am in early stage withdrawals all the time. I can take about 4mg of sub at once and feel better for a n hour or two, but it comes right back and I haven't squirreled away enough to keep that up for very long.

Has anyone found that alcohol has a limiting effect on suboxone? I will stop with the drinking as of now, but I'm worried that;s not the problem. I've never had any impulse to take anything other than the sub since I went on it and really I don't crave the sub unless I go without for 24 hours, up until the last week or two anyway. I can't talk to my doc about this because I know I shouldn't be drinking at all. I guess I thought if I drink a snifter of expensive sweet liquer, it wouldn't matter. MY preference is Drambuie, but when I ran out i just drank whatever was in the liquor cabinet. I'm only talking 2 ounces, some nights at the most three. Am I wrong in thinking it's the drinking? Is there a point when your body wants more suboxone? After more than a year of going down I've never needed to go up and this is the only thing different I can think of that would cause a problem. I'm open to anyone's ideas or experience. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I found my original login, so I will submit my comments as my original self. I didn't realize I had been on sub for two years. I thought it was just a few months over a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

sure there are biochemical reasons that cause cravings... BUT these are always directly tied to psychological reasons... as far as why doctors tell you not to drink alcohol... it's not because it inhibits a drug... it's because drugs inhibit alcohol enzymatic action... in other words... with drugs... you'll get drunk faster, crash, and sue the doctor!