It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Alcohol and Suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Let me tell you I was heavy drinker in my opiate addiction, alkohol just helped opiates work better for me. I liked alkohol and metadone, and alkohol and tramadol generic for ultram. If I was takin vicodine I didn't like it because it would take over vicotin buzz after some time. So I liked it with strong opiates, I have heard that bouth of those are depressant and that is dengeros but I did for 18 yers. I think I was just lucky. Same thing with weed. I could not drink if I was not on pain killers or smoke weed I would get paranoid. Now that i'm on suboxone I tried drinking and after few beers I felt like i'm going to get sick, I did not get sick, but it did not increse suboxone effect at all. So in last year and half I maybe had ten beers , sub complitley changed who I am. People around me can't beleive that u would say no if they ask me do you wanna beer or whatever. On suboxone bottle it sad that if you drink it would increse efect of this medication,something like that , I don't agree at all,i think it's opposite I don't know, it is not something that I would mix, ok don't like the feeling. What do you guys think,what us your expiriance, I'm going to vaccation with some friends and I know there is going to be drinking ,so what should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many people here found out that once on suboxone, they just don't like to drink anymore. It seems to be pretty common. No one really knows why. I believe they are doing studies about using sub to treat alcoholism. I've not heard about it actually making someone feel sick before though.

What effect of suboxone are you referring to that alcohol does not intensify? Do you mean drowsiness? It can increase its respiratory depression, so you do have to be careful about that. In the beginning of sub treatment, sub does make some people drowsy, as it does with opiate-naive people. But once a person is used to it, it doesn't really happen anymore (not for most, I don't think). But I digress.

Anyway, personally, I don't drink at all anymore. And I really don't miss it. So are you wanting to drink while on vacation? Does it bother your friends if you don't drink? Hey - at least with you they have a designated driver! LOL. I wish I had better answers for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I can't beleive you don't feel any effects of subs beside being normal, like I sad becore iM on subs almost two years and it gives me high every time I take it ,about hour later , i'm not saying that you are laying i'm just soprized. So do feel some type of high not like when I was abusing pankillers but definetly not normal. So I was refering to those effects. I'm not realy worring what my friends gonna think about me not drunking they allready know . So that was wrong qustion to ask,my bad. You are right I dont miss it either. I think i'v red someones posted that they are drinking normaly like they did before.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Forgive me for not recalling, but how long have you been on suboxone? Some people report a sort of burst of energy, while others feel drowsiness. Sometimes the drowsiness is related to too high a dose. In the beginning of treatment, for the first few or several days, most people do experience an almost high from the sub, but it does subside. Otherwise, for people who are stabilized on sub and have been on it awhile, it's not really the norm to feel any kind of high when taking their sub.

When it comes to drinking, there are some people who do drink the same as they did before starting sub. It just seems to be that most people just have no interest in it anymore.

I know you didn't really ask some of these questions, but I hope this gives you some additional information. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm on it almost two years. Yes I was reffering to drowsines, there is no high wathsoever, apologise for saying high,there is no such a thing as high on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey skywalker,

I understand what you're saying about suboxone getting you 'high', but it's certainly not a 'normal high'. I had the same thing happen to me for pretty much my entire time on sub....I wasn't getting high, but I felt something....I guess I would say it was a feeling of having some extra energy?

As far as alcohol affecting how suboxone or opiates work, or more to the point....the 'high' one would get....I liked the way opiates made me feel a LOT better than the way alcohol made me feel, so yes, I wouldn't drink while taking any opiates because I liked the opiate feeling so much better.

Post subject: Be careful with alcohol
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to preface this by saying that IMHO anyone addicted to a particular drug should avoid all recreational mood and mind altering drugs, as they suggest in NA.
That being said, I have never been much of a drinker, even when I was actively using. Consequently, I was the type who would be half in the bag after 3 drinks. But Ive noticed that now that I'm on Sub I don't seem to feel the effects of alcohol at all. A while ago I was at a function for my husbands work that was a big open bar. Despite the fact that I rarely drink, people were buying rounds and whatnot and I ended up consuming quite a bit. I really didn't feel too buzzed but when we left I realized I couldn't walk a straight line. So I'm thinking that even though Sub blocks the "pleasurable" effects of alcohol to some extent, it doesn't mean you're not impaired. So Be very careful if you have to drive.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I also did some coke once since I've been on Sub, even though I haven't been actively into it for over 20 years. A friend from high school had it, and wanted to do it for old times sake (no excuse, I know). Anyway, like the alcohol, I didn't really feel anything. It's weird.
So I guess to sum it up, I don't think drugs and booze are a good idea for addicts. But if you do use, be careful. You might be more impaired than you think you are :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It was absolutely amazing to me as well how little I drank when I was on Suboxone. 1 beer wouldn't hurt but wouldn't feel good, after two beers I'd start feeling uncomfortable... anymore and I was sick. I never really tried though because there was no desire to drink when I was on Suboxone! But I was an alcoholic before I got on Suboxone, and I am again now that I got off of it. I didn't talk too much about not drinking with people because I knew I was still an alcoholic. It was just the Suboxone.

You would have two beers and feel kind of sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HNH777 wrote:
It was absolutely amazing to me as well how little I drank when I was on Suboxone. 1 beer wouldn't hurt but wouldn't feel good, after two beers I'd start feeling uncomfortable... anymore and I was sick. I never really tried though because there was no desire to drink when I was on Suboxone! But I was an alcoholic before I got on Suboxone, and I am again now that I got off of it. I didn't talk too much about not drinking with people because I knew I was still an alcoholic. It was just the Suboxone.

I'm just curious if you are saying you are simply still an alcoholic or are you saying that you are actively drinking again? If you started drinking again, I'm curious what you think switched in you that made you want to go there again. Honestly, it makes me nervous to imagine getting alcohol cravings back again when I stop Sub. I started Sub in '05 and relapsed once on alcohol after starting. Since then, I have not had one drop of alcohol and I have a tough time remembering why in the hell I drank. I was a BAD alcoholic. I hope I don't suddenly remember, although I have faith that I can maintain my sobriety with some good solid effort.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is an interesting point, ladder. It seems from what I've read and experienced that Sub reduces the desire to drink and blocks the pleasurable effect that some people get from alcohol. I know you have been conflicted because of the fact that you were essentially put on Sub because of alcohol and not opiates. But maybe as it turns out Sub is an effective treatment for alcoholism. Maybe Sub gave you the safety to work on your recovery without the danger from relapsing on alcohol just like it does for addicts and opiates. That kind of puts things in a little different perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

laddertipper wrote:
HNH777 wrote:

I'm just curious if you are saying you are simply still an alcoholic or are you saying that you are actively drinking again? If you started drinking again, I'm curious what you think switched in you that made you want to go there again. Honestly, it makes me nervous to imagine getting alcohol cravings back again when I stop Sub. I started Sub in '05 and relapsed once on alcohol after starting. Since then, I have not had one drop of alcohol and I have a tough time remembering why in the hell I drank. I was a BAD alcoholic. I hope I don't suddenly remember, although I have faith that I can maintain my sobriety with some good solid effort.

laddertipper

I have actively started drinking again. I don't know if I would say I am a bad alcoholic, if we're describing it in those terms. I have never been physically dependent upon alcohol to get through a day, just mentally dependent and never go more than a couple days without it. And I have major depression so when I stopped Sub that came back hard. I went into an institution, they didn't really help me, I came out and started drinking a lot and doing other drugs.

Lillyval wrote:
This is an interesting point, ladder. It seems from what I've read and experienced that Sub reduces the desire to drink and blocks the pleasurable effect that some people get from alcohol. I know you have been conflicted because of the fact that you were essentially put on Sub because of alcohol and not opiates. But maybe as it turns out Sub is an effective treatment for alcoholism. Maybe Sub gave you the safety to work on your recovery without the danger from relapsing on alcohol just like it does for addicts and opiates. That kind of puts things in a little different perspective.

People are prescribed Suboxone to treat alcoholism? I had no idea! That makes complete sense. Or is this a particular case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, it's my understanding that ladder needed PAIN management and because of her alcoholism they put her on Sub instead of highly addictive opiates. I didn't mean to give you the wrong idea.
I'm sure ladder will reply again and explain the situation better herself.

Post subject: drinking
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also was a heavy drinker for 40 years along with other things. Now on subs i dont hardly feeling like drinking. Should have tried subs for drinking alot earlier. Subs are almost like that antabuse they give out in the military. too me anyway. again started on subs for withdrawls from my other activites. I have abused substances for a long time and dont want to retire feeling tired. lol mr mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i also drank beer 35 yr's ". with subs 2 to 4 beers once a week is enough for me. i became a social drinker on subs. but when and if i get off subs? it worry's me a bit. by that time i hope i'll continue to be one". if not" then no other choice but the big double A". ( naltroxone.) sub is still scaring me, its not in my control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hmm. I see that this is a common effect in all sub users....
I used to drink alot back in my "party" days. But since I got on sub, I have ZERO desire for alcohol.

I used to enjoy a beer or two. Now, if I drink 250ml, I get an alcohol buzz and I don't reallly like it that much. But it goes away quickly.

Last summer some turists where buying me a drink, and bcause they all drank beer, I ordered some too. Big mistake...
It was the end of my shift, 3p.m. (worked as a waiter).
I got so damn sick, sleepy, I don't know how to describe it really. All I wanted was getting home. And I only drank half of the glass! After a long walk and a short drive, I got home and immediately literally crashed on my bed till evening. And I was still groggy after that so I ate something and back to bed.

No alcohol for me anymore. At least not 'till I'm on sub...
Nowdays I take a small beer (250ml) in the summer every now and then, and it's ok. Anything more I don't even wanna try.

Just freakin' fascinating.....

Post subject: Alcohol and subs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is kinda late to respond,not sure really..I am still new her.But this is a great topic. Myself like laddertipper was a bad alcoholic...I really thought the nightmare would never end.Thinking of it now ,just makes me think whew! I survived,thanks to God and the BB of AA and the fellowship.

I too was schooled like liilyval"no mind altering substances" I forgot the name of the drug! that makes you sick to death when you drink? damn it!...any way I was never on it,but if I were it would be silly to start to see what else I can put in me in the meantime to get high etc.

Most of us are on subs because of an opiate addiction and some innocently for pain,but most of us I notice are experiencing or trying to achieve sobriety in any case.Alcohol dulls your senses and effects decision making.I believe it is a drug as well.I guess drinking on subs is like an oxymoron in a sense.Best of luck to you,I hope this has helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Antabuse

Post subject: alcohol and subs
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ahhhh!thank you

Post subject: antabuse
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

it was the thing to hand out in the navy. guys would try to drink and get really sick. I didnt really want to stop drinking but these subs about make you. I never had to "force " one down. ( before subs)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am so glad to see this post. I've known that suboxone eliminated my alcohol cravings, but I didn't know if it worked on everyone.

I was an alcoholic way before I ever took an opiate. I tried AA for years, and relapsed over and over again. Then, I started to suboxone and haven't had a craving since. In some ways, I consider myself 'lucky" to have become an addict, because it led me to this miracle drug that cures my alcoholism, which was much worse for me than the pills.

Incidentally, this has also convinced me that alcoholism has nothing to do with a "spiritual defect." All the praying and 12 step meetings in the world couldn't keep me sober. I almost lost my infant daughter because of my drinking, so believe me when I say that I wanted more than anything to stop drinking but I just could not STAY sober. One little pill a day has taken away 100% of my cravings. If that isn't proof that addiction is routed in your brain chemistry, I don't know what is.

I really hope they do make it available to alcoholics. It is a miracle drug for me.