It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is my first day taking suboxone. I'm prescribed 2mg 3x a day. Right now it is about 5:30pm and I'm not having any withdrawals however I just feel not normal. I feel as if everything looks the same but different at the same time. Besides being addicted to hydrocodones I guess I'm an alcoholic. I average 6-8 drinks per day. Is it safe to drink while taking suboxone? Please also remember this is my first day. I think since I drink so much normally if
I tired to stop drinking at the same time I'm trying to stop the hydrocodone it will probably do more harm then good? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Phil,

I am an alcoholic as well as a drug addict. When I started sub I was drinking daily. I didn't stop drinking until about 4 months after starting sub. I kinda feel like sub made it easier to cut down and then stop drinking. Many pople report losing their desire to drink after starting suboxone. I also went to AA which I felt was essential. That's just me, I never could stop drinking or taking opiates for that matter before suboxone and I have been booze and drug free now for over 2 years now. So to answer your question as a dude from the Internet, if you normally drink and your body is used to it, you'll probably live. :). Good luck and after you get stable on sub, worry about the other hurdles.

That's my advice anyway, good luck

-Glen B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Phillip. I don't think it would do any more harm than good if you stopped drinking now, even though you just stopped taking regular opiates. You are still putting an opiate into your body. I don't think it will be much of a physical issue if you continue to drink a little, since your body is used to that, but if you are wanting to treat your addictions, you will probably eventually have to face that alcohol plays a part in that too. But for now, congrats on taking the step to get on subs and addressing your addiction to opiates.

I was a daily drinker for years too, but I have found that my cravings for alcohol are almost completely gone since starting sub. Maybe that will happen for you too. Keep us updated on what you decide and how you are doing on your sub...and welcome to the forum and to sub treatment!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Taurus and Glen...thank you for the responses. So far I am feel like I am doing good. This suboxone is unbelievable. I literally am having no withdrawal symptoms what so ever. I'm a little over 30 hours without a hydrocodone and normalyl I would be freaking out. It is so weird. I dont even have the craving for a hydrocodone. I do have a little anxiety but I think its just because of this whole process and not really a withdrawal symptom.

Taurus, you are right about the drinking. I had 2 1/2 beers and really just dont feel like drinknig anymore. This is so strange! I think I need to make sure I contuinue to drink daily though so I dont go into alcohol withdrawls.

I was suppose to take 2mg 3x a day but tonight I took 1/2 of a pill instad of the whole thing. I felt like the whole thing was too much. I dont/didnt think I need that much. I hope I didnt make a mistake and wake up in the middle of the night freaking out.

I do feel pretty tired. Maybe thats a side effect of the suboxone? I dont know.

Again, thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to being sober!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Addiction all lives on the same circuit. I've been able to kick opioids by switching to cocaine, or speed. When I got off all opioids I got really obsessed with sex at an unhealthy level. When I'm on Sub, all my negative desires and urges are diminished a lot. It's like Sub gives the addictive circuit what it needs so it doesn't need to latch onto other things to feed it.

That being said I never drank alcohol addictively. At one stage I even consciously tried to switch my heroin addiction to alcoholism, and failed. I drink occasionally while on Sub, and that hasn't changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, I found that I don't need nearly as much sub as my doctor prescribed. I only take half an 8mg strip/day, and that does me fine. Some days I do take up to 6mg when I am having pain, or if I happen to be up all night from lack of sleep, but mostly I stick to 4mg. I tried to take as little as possible since I have to pay cash for my subs. You will be able to find what dose works for you eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm 2 days now without hydrocodones after taking them for about 2 1/2 years. I have no cravings and no withdrawals what so ever! It's truly amazing. I cant believe it. I even slept through out the night, last night. When I got home from work yesterday I was tired but at the same time I had energy. It's kinda hard to explain. I cleaned the kitchen, did some laundry, walked the dog...it was great! I hope this feeling doesnt go away. It seems to good to be true.