It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Going on a flight in two days -- have to bring sub with me that I'm not prescribed. Bringing two strips for a two week time. I have the strips with a bunch of crest white strips, aspirin packages and the like with a rubber band around them in my toiletries bag for my carry-on.

does this method seem okay? anyone have any experience? googled this to little result...

HELP PLEASE! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

I had to fly a couple of weeks after starting sub & since day one have kept one in my wallet. I am prescribed it so i did have the box in with my other meds but no one said anything. I don't think the foil sets off the alarm. All i know is nothing happened & i went through security to the gate.

Basically they are looking for weapons so if you trigger the alarm & they see something odd in your suitcase they may stop you but other than that imo it should be fine.

The scariest part for me was i had to fly home from the same airport that i did trigger an alarm at years before...it was my sandals but still I was scared the foils would trigger the alarm..again nothing happened.

I am flying again on Thursday so your post caught my eye.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks; it seems like everyone says it won't be a big deal...and that TSA are mainly dealing with weapons. The foil is similar to the crest white strips so I imagine it shouldn't cause too much issue...it's just a med amongst other ones.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone else have anything to say on this matter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Every time I have gone through the airport with suboxone it was always in my carry on bag (mesh book bag). It was out it in open in the box it comes in and at no point it went through the scanners was anything said about it.

Actually, one of the times I mistakenly left a bottle of water in my bag raised a flag when it went through the scanner. After the bag came through, they came over to me and said it was flagged and they'd have to search it. I had no idea what could have caused it when it happened. They opened the bag and immediately saw the water and that was it. The suboxone box was right there and it didn't raise any suspicion. They didn't ask for a prescription or anything (which I do have). I doubt they had any clue what it was. A friend of mine in the past said he put a bunch of strips in a Listerine container and it was fine. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm worried the strips or whitestrips will set off the alarm on my carry-on bag. Ack. This sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One other suggestion...I roll my clothes so i can fit more in the small carry on i use..put the packet of white strips in the center of a shirt & roll it BUT also put deodorant or something in another piece of rolled clothing. The security is different if you are traveling in the states vs going to another country but if you roll them along with other normal things it shouldn't be a problem. It's a great packing tip-roll your shorts/pants, shirt & undergarmets all in one & you have the outfit for the day. Doesn't look suspicious if all your stuff is done the same.

I feel for you. It sucks to worry about it. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

You could put them in the pockets of a pair of pants/shorts in the suitcase. Whatever you do choose to do try to forget about it. Just block it out of your mind. It's not like you're walking in with kilos of heroin taped to your body.

TSA's primary goal is to look for potential violent threats. A few suboxone strips is the least of their worries. Most people don't even know what suboxone is. It's not suspicious looking and doesn't carry any scent. Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 pm 

For one, I am not condoning this behavior due to the fact that it is illegal. With that disclaimer aside, I do, and am now travelling the world. Never, ever, ever, would I put my Suboxone in my luggage. It stays inside my carry on and near to me at all times. It would totally ruin an expensive vacation to have some airport thief steal my medicine in my checked luggage. TSA or whomever, have never questioned the 6-8 bottles/boxes of different scripts kept in my carry on. It is none of their business. Put it in a prescription bottle and put that in your carry on bag. No one will question you.

I do encourage you to make it legal and find a doctor. It's not TSA that should worry you, it's our own police departments that will lock you up if they find it on you w/o a prescription. Plus, we hate the fact that Suboxone can be found on the street. It gives it a bad name. We here have been fighting for years to be accepted in society as an opiate addict in remission. People who sell their scripts are ruining our chances of Suboxone being recognized as a helpful way to manage addiction. But that is a discussion for another day.

No worries Mate,

rule

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rule62 wrote:
For one, I am not condoning this behavior due to the fact that it is illegal. With that disclaimer aside, I do, and am now travelling the world. Never, ever, ever, would I put my Suboxone in my luggage. It stays inside my carry on and near to me at all times. It would totally ruin an expensive vacation to have some airport thief steal my medicine in my checked luggage. TSA or whomever, have never questioned the 6-8 bottles/boxes of different scripts kept in my carry on. It is none of their business. Put it in a prescription bottle and put that in your carry on bag. No one will question you.

I do encourage you to make it legal and find a doctor. It's not TSA that should worry you, it's our own police departments that will lock you up if they find it on you w/o a prescription. Plus, we hate the fact that Suboxone can be found on the street. It gives it a bad name. We here have been fighting for years to be accepted in society as an opiate addict in remission. People who sell their scripts are ruining our chances of Suboxone being recognized as a helpful way to manage addiction. But that is a discussion for another day.

No worries Mate,

rule

We hate the fact that suboxone is on the streets? If it was not on the streets I likely would not be where I am today. Not everyone has access to a suboxone doctor and not everyones insurance will cover it for an extended period of time. I'm not saying I condone people getting scripts just to sell them, but I think your statement is simply incorrect. Suboxone already is recognized as a helpful way to manage addiction whether it is sold on the street or not.

Sorry if that comes across rude, but this is something I feel pretty strongly about.

Back to the original post. If it was me I would just put them in my pocket and walk through (which I have done before). Even if you were patted down they would not feel them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:58 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

TikiStyles,

Suboxone is certainly "recognized as a helpful way to manage addiction", but it's an unknown form of treatment to the majority of society. Currently there are very strict rules when prescribing it. The maximum number of patients doctors can have is 100 which isn't immediate either. It is extremely important for people to understand that suboxone can be a vital part of recovery.

If the streets were flooded with suboxone and people were constantly being arrested for it, it would destroy its reputation as an effective form treatment among the general public. Everyone would be under the impression from news reports (which is currently happening) suboxone is just another drug people are abusing and getting high from. The only supply of the drug to the streets would be from lying patients diverting and selling their prescriptions. This would only result in more regulations on prescribing suboxone, such as a higher scheduling (currently schedule 3) or trends toward methadone.

On the other side of the spectrum, if suboxone was never found on the streets illegally, it would loosen the regulations on suboxone and ultimately offer more people treatment. There wouldn't be nearly as many reasons for doctors to have the 100 patient cap.

Suboxone being sold illegally to users doesn't offer much treatment whatsoever. It's just something to use in the short term when you don't have your drug of choice available. There is a whole lot more than being in treatment than simply just taking suboxone. When you're in a suboxone program with a doctor you have to go to meetings, therapy, etc. and also take drug tests. If all you do is take suboxone and nothing else you are a time bomb on the verge of relapse.

I can't think of a single positive outcome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:44 pm 

TikiStyles wrote:
rule62 wrote:

No worries Mate,

rule

We hate the fact that suboxone is on the streets? If it was not on the streets I likely would not be where I am today. Not everyone has access to a suboxone doctor and not everyones insurance will cover it for an extended period of time. I'm not saying I condone people getting scripts just to sell them, but I think your statement is simply incorrect. Suboxone already is recognized as a helpful way to manage addiction whether it is sold on the street or not.

Sorry if that comes across rude, but this is something I feel pretty strongly about.

Back to the original post. If it was me I would just put them in my pocket and walk through (which I have done before). Even if you were patted down they would not feel them.

I want to echo what Fireman has said. I'm not against suboxone being on the streets per se. It's just the effect of street sub being available that I'm unhappy with.

Some states are making it harder for doctors to prescribe suboxone because they don't make a distinction about between sub and another opiate. There have been a few reports of people overdosing on a combination of sub and another drug, and suboxone gets just as much of the blame. It's hard to combat the negative view some people are taking of suboxone because it's just another drug available on the streets. One mother of an addict recently posted in the "Why the Anger?" section and talked about the fact that she hates suboxone because it's available on the streets to her son, who uses it between heroin binges.

That being said, my doctor has said this to me, "If I had a kid who's an addict and the only way I could get suboxone for him was on the street, I'd do it in a heartbeat!"

There are many folks who are getting sub legitimately, but they are forced to sell half of it to be able to afford their appts.

There is no easy fix, but I think it's a good subject to bring up. I would urge sub users to write to their congress people about why sub is needed, why it's on the streets, what would be helpful regulation and what isn't, etc.

Back to the original post, I think that banding the sub together with the Crest Whitestrips is a very good idea! The TSA is not filled with pharmacists. If you put a med in a pharmacy container, I sincerely doubt they would scrutinize it. Going through customs at an airport is another matter. If you're traveling out of the country, however, I'm sure that having your prescriptions/medications examined is not common.

Amy