It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: After the detox- PAWS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Everyone-

This is my first time starting a post and would like to first of all say thanks to all on this forum who have helped me in my recovery.

I was a pain patient for 10 years using a variety of different opiates including morphine, oxys, hydros etc until at the end was taking 20 pills a day. I made up my mind to quit all on Jan. 1 and started tapering. About 2 months in I hit a wall and went to a recovery center to get help. Instead of helping with detox the doctor started me on 12 mg of sub. It took me a while to figure out what was happening, a couple of weeks or so. I started tapering at that point and 5-6 weeks later jumped at 1 mg.

The detox without going into specifics was horrific and lasted the better part of a month. This brings me to the next phase- How many who have detoxed have struggled with getting the brain back going again. About 7 days ago I was hit with the deepest darkest depression I have ever experienced and my brain has been in a major fog up until the last couple of days. The memory sucks to the point I tell folks I talk to on the phone that I won't remember our conversation five minutes after we hang up. I am curious if any of you have experienced this as well. I have been clean 57 days. By the way the last couple of days have been great and I think I am finally leaving it behind. God bless and thanks for your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey rockblaster,

While I never did get hit with severe depression during my acute or PAWS, I certainly felt like crap for a good while.

It does take time for the brain to "right" itself after being slammed with opiates for so long, some people get over it fairly quickly while others have a much harder time of it.

I had memory problems right off the bat during my wd, I had to make notes for myself all the time. It eventually gets better, but it is certainly annoying when your wife calls you and asks you to pick something up from the grocery and you arrive home 5 minutes later with nothing from the grocery.

So, you're right at the 2 month mark and things are improving a lot, that's GREAT to hear.

Keep pushing yourself forward, pretty soon you should realize that you don't have to push yourself so much anymore and that living will be "normal."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Romeo- Thanks for the reply. I just got back from taking my motorcycle written test at DMV. I felt great most of the day and decided to review the booklet and prepare. I got so fatigued reading it I almost fell asleep in my pickup. Then a huge headache. This is the most bizarre period I can remember. Still managed to pass the test.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The PAWS fatigue plagued me for a long time, riding a motorcycle should help that a lot!! :D

Honestly, I've SOO been thinking about getting myself a bike too, I like the cafe style bikes though, aka Rice Rockets. They might not be much for long rides, but I love 'em nonetheless.

Keep pushing yourself through rockblaster, don't give up man!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yea, Riding is one of those things that actually bring pleasure. I've got a Road King and love riding through the mountains where we live. It gets the endorphins flowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Rockblaster I too ride a motorcycle ( 48 yr old woman here ) and it helped me alot. I jumped april 15th at .25mg and my bike was the best thing to happen to my wd;'s to bad it rained alot back then.

its been 7 weeks since I jumped and I have been feeling pretty good but I force myself to always workout, take bike rides take walks etc...............

YOU PASSED YOUR TEST ON A ROAD KING WOWZA........I took my test on a 250 I have a 750 shadow aero now but I have been riding since I was 16

My memory was always bad ( years of smoking weed I think) so thats nothing new, I still feel a little weird on occasion I prob had two headaches since I stopped subs and I never get headaches. I am guessing for me the wd is over and I still am not sure what Paws is but I dont think I have it. We all have good days and bad days subs or no subs thats how I see it. But I will say I also have been on an anti depressant for years so maybee thats helping me not get depressed. I will also say I do ride my bike every day for the most part so maybee thats just what helps me thru it. RIDING IS THE BEST THERAPY MONEY CAN BUY In my opinion :) Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Went to the range today and put a couple of hundred rounds down field to get ready for CCW renewal class on Saturday. It felt pretty good and cleared some of the cobwebs, then went for a ride this afternoon. Things are coming back but slowly. I know its different for each person but this whole PAWS thing caught me a bit off guard. That said, I have had no cravings whatsoever since quitting. God is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Now that's what I call fun rockblaster. I've got a .357 Magnum and I love burning through some shells now. I'm lucky, I can do it in the comfort of my own backyard. Watching a cinder block fly into a million pieces is one of my favorite targets!!

The PAWS may hang on for a little while, but you have already came up with a few GREAT ways to fight them off. Continue doing things you enjoy, it gets you out of your head AND releases those natural feel good chemicals.

You're doing really good man, keep at it.

Not to be a party pooper, but I see where you've had no cravings at all. I quit Suboxone and didn't crave for 9.5 months, then WHAMO, I slipped up. Are you working some kind of recovery plan?? Going to any meetings?? I would just hate for what happened to me to happen to you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo- I shoot handgun on my property as well, but rifles are just too loud and I usually take a couple with me. You are right, doing the things you enjoy help a great deal. Who knows, maybe this is me being normal drug free.