It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: After some advice please
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone,

I found this forum whilst browsing videos on youtube.

Just to tell you a little bit about my background and how I ended up on subutex.

My name is steven and I live in the UK so the way things are done here a slightly different to you guys in the US.

I had a very bad medical condition and was prescribed 3x50mg pethidine (Demerol) 3x daily for about a year. Once my condition was fixed they stopped my medication. When they did this I found out I was addicted to the stuff (Never even new about opiates and what they could do at the time)

The doctor then sent me to a drug centre to get help. I see a doctor there who put me on 6mg subutex daily. I eventually was put up to 10mg but only been on 10mg for about 2 weeks.

The questions I have is.

I can go for 3 days without any of the subutex and dont feel unwell at all. On the 3rd day I just take it without seeing if I could go longer. Is this a good sign or can most people do this? I ask as I have heard it can take upto a week for the WD to kick in.

Tthis is my plan and just wanted some opinions on it.

I am thinking of just stopping and go for as long as I can and when I start to feel unwell I am just going to take enough to take the pain away and again repeate the process and see if I can pus it one day further then the last and also take a smaller amount then previous and so forth. Do you think this would be effective? Seeing as I can already go 3 days without issue.

I hope this makes sense and I thank anyone who helps in advance.

Kind Regards

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Steven,

Welcome to the forum!!!

It's a little hard to tell from your post, but it sounds like maybe you weren't really addicted to the Demerol, you may have just been dependent on them? Addiction usually means that you were running out of your script early, maybe buying opiates off the street. These behaviors were probably having a major impact on your life, if you were addicted. If you were addicted, you probably would have obsessed about your medication all day and night long.

Anyway, like I said, it sounds like maybe you were more dependent on the medication instead of addicted....which is a good thing!!

As far as your plan to get off of Subutex, it's a good one. If you can make it 3 days without feeling crappy, then take just enough to not make you feel crappy again and keep doing that until you're off, that would be great.

Whatever you do, remember to stay flexible with your plan.

I hope you decide to stay with us and keep us up to date with your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry I didnt go in to deeply. I have never really understood the difference but now you have explained in understand.

I was defiantly addcited, I always ran out of my script early and was buying them from the internet (I was very lucky to find someone with them as they are very very rare to find in the UK)

The major problem was, I enjoyed the high way to much. I have always suffered from depression in my life and the first time I ever took on, It took it all away and I felt amazing.

During this period I tried over opiates like morphine and oxynorm but didnt really like these. They just made me feel very tense and sleepy. The pethidne was very different. I have read its unique as it has stimulant effects. Think it was this factor that I got hooked on.

I have always thought of myself as abnormal as I have taken tramadol for 1 1/2 years in the past and just stopped taking them without issue but I have read that they can be just as bad to come off even though they aint a real opiate.

The one problem I have with the subutex, Is I do still get a "high" from them and its this that keeps me taking them I think.

Most of my problem is in my head. I missed my appointment to get my prescription and I had to go 3 days without it and on the second day I was sweating and everything. I think it was simply the thought if knowing I didnt have any. but when I do have them, Liek I said, I can eaisly go 3 days without feeling unwell at all (Maybe a crave now and then but nothing I cant handle)

I will be starting my programme tomorrow. I took my last dose at 10am GMT so lets see how long I last before I need something.

I will defiantly be staying around and keeping you updated of how I am getting on etc and even be around the forum giving advice wherever I can.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yep, after reading your last post, I can see you were definitely addicted to them. It's weird how one opiate can become our fave, while we don't really care for others. I took Demerol pills for a little bit and I didn't care for them at all. They made me so damn sleepy I couldn't enjoy my buzz!! Once I got back on my Hydro's or Oxy, I was happy again.

Anyhow, I'm glad you cleared up that up for us about your addiction. Being that you were addicted, you may want to check into some kind of addiction counselling. Getting off our drug of choice is one thing, staying off is another. During addiction, we basically rewired our brain and you're most likely to continue exhibiting those addict behaviors even though the drugs are gone. I believe that's why relapse is so common.

A lot of us stay on Subutex or Suboxone for at least a little while as we learn new behaviors and new coping techniques. I'm not suggesting you stay on Subutex or get off of it, I'm just trying to give ya some info about addiction. Subutex/Suboxone occupy those opiate receptors in our brains and only partially activate them, this usually means no cravings for other opiates and this helps us to get some distance from our old addict ways. Getting some distance from our old addict ways and thinking usually helps ya to stay clean once off of Suboxone.

Now, we've surely seen a lot of people who just use Suboxone/Subutex for a short time, then quit altogether.....problem is, not many of those folks come back here and update us on how they're doing? They may be doing fine, they may not be....we really don't know.

Whatever you decide, we're here to support you and help if we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:45 pm 

I'm wondering if you realize how subutex works, in terms of it being a long acting medication. Because of this property, you can sometimes go a few days without it and not feel any ill effects. If you continue to take your meds as prescribed and every day, I think that the high feeling from subutex will go away after a time. But I think you are stopping subutex now? Romeo has good advice about taking it slow and just taking enough subutex to keep from feeling bad.

I don't know if I really answered your questions, but I'll certainly try again if you need something clarified. Welcome to the forum!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I'm wondering if you realize how subutex works, in terms of it being a long acting medication. Because of this property, you can sometimes go a few days without it and not feel any ill effects. If you continue to take your meds as prescribed and every day, I think that the high feeling from subutex will go away after a time. But I think you are stopping subutex now? Romeo has good advice about taking it slow and just taking enough subutex to keep from feeling bad.

I don't know if I really answered your questions, but I'll certainly try again if you need something clarified. Welcome to the forum!

Amy

Hi,

Yea I do understand how it works. I know its biding affinity is far far greater then any other opiate meaning it stays attached to the receptors for a very long time meaning withdrawal can be delayed. I just wondered as every single video I have watched of people WD process they have all said they start to feel WD after about 24-36 hours.

I have been taking it for just short of a year now and like I said, I still feel a high and it lasts for a good few hours, Again all the people I have spoken to personally have said that the high effects stop after a good few weeks of taking it.

It was these factors that made me wonder. The most possible reason I can go 3 days without any is that I feel a greater effect then the average person meaning it probably stays on my receptors for a greater period of time. This would also make sense as I love demerol and it feels really strong to me but other people I have spoken to who have tried it have said its weak. Strange aye, They do say everyones brain chemistry is slightly different.

All im going to do is, When my WD kick in im just going to take 1mg wait 30 minutes see how I feel and if its workthoughable then I will just keep going at that dosage if not ill take another 1mg and so forth until its bearable. I will then push it for another day and then lower the dose until im off of it.

The other reason I am doing this is, Im worried that if its going to take a long time the doctors will start to decress my dosage when im not ready and I will have no choice but to try and stick it out and this way I will 100% fail. So doing what im doing I can save 50mg every week to stock pile for when my scipt stops just incase I need to go slower then they want me to. Then once I am off I will just throw the excess away.

The way it works in the UK is different from the US. My drug worker is constantly pushing me to reduce and do it in a way im not comfortable with and because we get ours free we dont have much leverage on what we can demand.

I just really scared off the WD. If I knew what I was taking from the beginning, I would have preferred to taper down on the demerol as that would have been a lot easier, more comfortable and less time to be completely free.

Im glad I did research the drug though as a lot of information I get from my drug doctors is completely wrong.

So yea, Its been 24 hours since my last dose (10mg) and I dont even slightly feel the need for another dose. I do however have a slight urge for the "high" but thats just in my head. I think this is going to be the biggest challenging thing im going to have to get over.

With regards to the counselling, I am currently awaiting an appointment to see one.

Im sorry if my writting is all over the place. Im not very good at constructing the way things should be written. Didnt really go to school so please bear with me. If there is anything that you want to clarify dont be afraid to ask and I will try my best to write it in a way you can understand.

Thank you :-)

Post subject: Cleared Up
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:14 pm 

Hi Steve,

I commented on your other post that I was confused with what you were doing. Now you've explained it all so ignore the other one.