It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Today is day three since surgery. Have been home since Thursday morning, less than 24 hours after surgery.
I feel my wean off suboxone has helped me tolerate the pain. The first day was pain free due to spinal morphine. Thursday Friday I was using percocet 10's every 4 then every 5 hours along withM 800 three times a day. My pain Thursday was a 4-5/10, yesterday 5-6 today 3-4, thank God. This morning, I was able to use a 5mg percocet instead of the 10. I have to be careful to not do too much, becuase that will flare up my pain.
I am getting up and walking a lot. Drinking lots of water. Alternating napping with walks. Using the incentive spirometer - the gadget you suck air through to open your lungs. That doesn't hurt, happily.
Trying to eat nutritiously. Today is the first day I've had any appetite.
My best advice to those contemplating elective but necessary surgery: plan far enough out so that you can wean. Try to stop 3 days before your surgery. TALK with your surgeon and your anesthesiologist. Make sure you have a plan in place before surgery, so you and they know what to expect. Ask for the spinal morphine - it was a Godsend for me.

Post subject: 3 days before
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Glad to hear you are doing ok after the surgery. My question is how bad were the withdrawals for those 3 days you stopped sub? If it were me I'd be going crazy thinking how bad I may feel. You didn't say anything about that so it must have been ok.

Are you going back on sub later on?

BD

Post subject: It's Over
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:42 pm 

Yea! You're back home and doing well. Jeesh, you had better luck than I did with surgery. But then I didn't stop three days before either. I wonder how much of a difference that made. Were you able to get some pain meds for those three days like I had suggested you ask for? My Sub Dr. said he could lose his license if he prescribed both pain meds and Sub at the same time. I don't know if there is truth to that but I trust him completely.

How are you feeling now? Like any surgery, every day gets a little bit better. Next thing you know you don't have any pain anymore. At least I hope it goes that way for you.

Thanks for posting back and letting us know how it turned out. You can now spend more time here while you recover!

R62

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Bupeduped and Rule62, the three days of withdrawals were uncomfortable but not agonizing. Surprisingly, the worst part was the RESTLESS LEGS FROM HELL. Made it completely impossible to sleep for the 2 nights before surgery. My sweet husband said "well, you'll sleep all day on Wednesday". I chose to keep working to distract myself. I wore my "barf bands" or SeaBands to prevent nausea, and they worked. Immodium/Loperamide took care of the other problem. Rule, I didn't get the hydrocodone like you suggested because I chose to work Mon & Tues and I didn't think I should try working on that - even though I work just fine on Suboxone!
I think the difference between our experiences was that I did stop for the 3 days, but the most important difference was the spinal morphine. Both my surgeon and the anesthesiologist told me this works really really well for people and they weren't kidding. I've seen it used before back in my regular nursing days, but lots of people had severe itching from it. I had not one itch - but then I used to shoot morphine IV before I was caught back in the wild old days. My receptors probably thought "oh, that stuff again. Yummy".
What is surprising me is I have had no high from either the spinal morphine or the percocets I'm currently using. I was given 10 mg percocets, told to take 1 or 2. Have only needed one at a time, maximum 6 in one day.
Now this was a surprise: yesterday I had only taken 35 mg percocet all day. When I took the bedtime 10 mg dose, I was shortly suffering from wicked restless legs again - not as bad as the no subs nights, but bad enough I couldn't sleep. Ended up after an hour taking a second percocet and that calmed it down. So it looks like my 1 mg/day suboxone habit is equivalent to about 50 mg/day oxycodone.
I'm going to check in to find out exactly how to switch back to the suboxone, because I'm feeling pretty good at this point, and I'd like to make the switch before something changes and I start feeling the oxycodone which despite my IV morphine use was always my drug of choice.
Thanks for keeping track of me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys. I'm feeling a little bit nervous :shock: about switching back to suboxone tomorrow. The percocet has been helping my pain very well, but as I mentioned, I'm mostly using it to chase away WD's now. My level of pain (2-3) can clearly be managed by Motrin and proper rest.
Plan is to take last percocet this evening, maybe 8-9pm. I have been waking in WD's around 0630 -7 am with that schedule. Then tomorrow I will attempt to wait as long as possible to take 1.5 mg suboxone to avoid any possible PW's.
I will keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm in the same situation..needing to go back on Subs but every time I go more than 4 hours without percocet I start to go nuts...shaking crying, bugs, the whole nine. Was going to try and wait as long as possible then take a tiny bit of a strip to see if it helped....how did it work for you?

Post subject: Getting back on Sub
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 pm 

Going back onto Sub after being on Percs or Hydro is no big deal. It is totally different than when you were first induced. That may be due to having the Bupe still in your system, days or weeks later.

Take your Percs at night like usual and when you wake up, try to wait until noon or more before taking the Sub again. For me, they gave me Lortab 10's & Percs. I took the Percs first and the hydro later due to the pain receding. You might want to try that first if you're really concerned about pre-w/d's. I still doubt you will have any problems at all. And I was so very happy to be back on my Sub and not watching the clock to see when I could take my next dose of pain pills.

Back in the saddle again ♫ ♪ ♫ ≈ :D

Post subject: Thanks 62!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm going to do that....nervous! Thanks for you help!
Beth

Post subject: Re: Thanks 62!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

bdonahueweedman wrote:
I'm going to do that....nervous! Thanks for you help!
Beth

Beth, sorry, I was camping w/o internet access!.
Like Rule62 said, what worked for me was to take my last dose of percocet about 8pm. I woke at 0630 with no withdrawals, thank heavens, They kicked in for me around 9.
I wanted to wait as long as possible. I had been told if my COWS was over 13 I could take the suboxone without problem. By 2 pm, so 18 hours after my last percocet dose, ,y COWS were a 17 and I took 2 mg suboxone. Within 40 minutes I felt better - no more withdrawal symptoms. I was so afraid of precipitated withdrawals I took 2 mg when I should have taken 1.5 mg of suboxone. So this week I'm going to get myself reacquainted to the 1.5 mg. I chose this dose because at 1mg before surgery I was having mild WD's every day just before my dose was due.
GOOD luck - please let us know how it goes for you!