It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started Suboxone on Monday of last week. Today was my 8th day clean from Vicodin. This morning I got my period and had SEVERE cramps! I have endometriosis (cysts on my ovaries that give off HORRIBLE CRAMPS). This is what lead me to addiction of opiates in the first place. I called my SUB doctor today and he told me to call my obgyn...both offered little help. (Take advil, heating pad, drink hot tea, etc.) 3 hours ago I relapsed and took 2 Vicodin on top of the Suboxone I took this morning (20mgs) I would do ANYTHING to stop the pain. But it didn't work. I am still in great pain.
I am glad the Vic didn't work because I would be back on the junkie highway in no time. I truely know now that I am over opiate addiction. I have had endometriosis for about 10 years. Every time I got cramps, my doc would phone in a script for 10 vic's. For 6 years I never took the pills w/o getting cramps. Then 4 years ago addiction hit me. Over the years it got worse and worse to the point where I was taking more than 10 a day. But can anyone give any advice on what I can do now? I am in horrible pain. It usually goes away in 24-36 hours, but I'm just not use to the pain. Should I take more Sub.? It's now 3:30p and I have taken 20mgs of Sub since 6am. From what I can tell, taking the Vicodin did NOTHING for me or the pain. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 pm 
Okay Underworld - you messed up. Now get over it and get back on track. You've only been on Sub a little over a week and you've already discovered that your drug of choice won't work for you while you're on Sub. Lesson learned!
I'm sorry you suffer with chronic or recurring pelvic pain. I worked in an OB/Gyn office for 7 years - you are not alone. Many, many women (myself included) have to deal with this problem. Narcotics really don't work that well for menstrual cramps anyway, you've gotten accustomed to numbing yourself up during that time of the month so you didn't notice them as much. One the physicians I worked for absolutely refused to prescribe opiates for this. NSAIDS work much better. Try 2 OTC Aleve or 800mg Advil and heat - I'm sure that's nothing you haven't tried before but it helps as much as anything will at this point. Opiates are NOT the answer!
My experience with being on Suboxone for the past 4 months is this: I seemed to feel any degree of discomfort magnified the first month or two on Sub. I don't know if it's because we've been numbed up for so long or what, but the least little thing just hurt so so bad. But now that I've been on Sub a little longer, it seems to be more tolerable.
Please don't let yourself fall into the 'on Sub, off Sub....' crowd. You will never get better if you do that. Commit yourself to this knowing that if you'll stick with the program, things will get better. Suboxone will not fix everything associated with your addiction, your chronic pain issues, or anything else. But what it will do is free you from the physical symptoms of withdrawal and subdue your cravings to the point that you can work on yourself and get some healing and recovery started.
There are others on this forum who suffer from chronic pain conditions and report that they have been quite stable on Suboxone and have found alternative ways of dealing with their pain. I encourage you to read all the posts you can find about this. There are many safe, effective nonmedicinal ways of coping with pain, but it takes practice sometimes.
Don't let this setback stop you from continuing on - you can do it and it will get easier!
Let us know how you're doing.