It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had 3 years clean off opiates and relapsed about a year ago. At first it was was manageable but in the last few months I have lost control. I can't stop and I am afraid I'm going to lose everything- my job, my relationship, my family. The worst part is I've kept my relapse a secret. I have an appt this Friday to start suboxone but I'm scared because I've heard horror stories about it. Is it something I take for a few days to detox? Weeks? Months? The rest of my life? Any advice or support would be really appreciated!!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 pm 

Hey Suzspags,
Sorry to here about your relapse and glad you came here to ask questions. You arent alone,many come here with the same fears .
What stood out to me was your statement "I cant stop"..well you can now. Ive been on sub treatment for over 4 years and I did lose it all before I found a dr to help me..

Welcome to the forum, and please, go over to the Talkzone, our Dr Junigs blog. There isnt a question that can t be answered over there . He may well be the best Sub Dr in the country.

These horror stories I personally dont get completely. I like to look at the positive things treatment can give. Not sure what stories you have read, maybe the "its hard to bet off of" stuff. Well Any opiate it hard to get off of. Right? Ya, it sounds simple but Buprenorphine works.

I dont know your story, or why you started useing again, but i believe opiate addiction is the hardest to fight, and fight for a LIFETIME.. I love the saying "Its not the stopping, its the staying stopped. Many stop, but for how loug. Idk..

Im guessing your afraid to tell loved ones of your relapse, and thats understandable. Just post here and i know others will be along to help too.

There is a wealth of information here Suz.

Also, there is a search box at the top of the page.. hit that bar and it will take you to another bar to type in a topic or word. Many threads will come up. Id also read more of the Induction Discussion forum. Good place for a new person to find answers.

Suboxone saved my life, for real. Simply put i wouldnt have my life back without it.

Detox, or short term, sure, but i see where people who jump off before a year of treatment dont fair very well.

Keep posting and asking..Welcome again...

Razor..

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your reply! It feels really good to know I'm not alone in this. I appreciate your advice and guidance. I am getting a lot of good knowledge from this forum and seeing how suboxone has saved and changed so many people's lives. I am hopeful it will do the same for me!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suzs
Do you know why you went back to the opiates after 3 years? I always say suboxone is a weird medication. You feel normal and it can give you time to fix the stuff you let slide in active use. It's also just one tool in recovery. Unfortunately it's not a magic pill but with time & effort you can get your life in a good space.

How long to stay on...hummm, that's a question here allot. As Razor said, a year gives you time to work on getting life straightened out and some time to work some sort of recovery program. Could be NA/AA or SMART or online programs but i think one of the most helpful things for me is my addiction therapist.

Some people use it short term (less than a month) to ease the detox of their drug of choice.

If you start sub treatment then my suggestion is to stay on the lowest dose that keeps w/d at bay & you just feel "normal". Less is more with suboxone and we have to learn that.

You have 2 days to read around the and as Razor said - read Dr J's blog in talkzone. Educate yourself and then decide what is best for you.

IMO sub is not harder to get off. More people taper off sub and do well. Those that try to taper off or just stop their drug of choice come looking for answers to stop using. Suboxone is one option

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much! Tomorrow is the day! I stopped going to meetings regularly and I work in an environment where prescription drugs are accessible. Well not exactly because they do not belong to me, they belong to patients but I stopped working my program and then those pills started looking really good. You get the idea. I am working on getting a therapist to work on my recovery with because from what I have read I can't do it with just the subs and expect to recover. I'm still really nervous about starting tomorrow as I don't know what to expect but I guess all of my questions will be answered by my Dr at my visit.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Suz
You will be glad you did!! I have been on them a week I was scared to death OMG I'll be hooked on subs good grief Truth is I'm hooked on opiates and cant stop so the two options I had I failed the one too many times I figured if I could be normal under a doctors care I'm going for it!!!!
Me and him can worry about getting off them when the time is right at least I will be legal!!
and won't be chasing after the next supply spending tons of cash
First day he put me on 2 8mg a day probably too much but in fifteen min the withdrawal was gone
But I didn't feel as great as people said I would I was very disappointed
When I got home I sat on the couch and felt better by the time two hours past I felt like my old self again perfectly normal!!!!!!! It feels so good you almost are high{ your not} but you haven't felt like yourself in so long its a high to be normal just make sure you haven't used for at least 24 hrs I went about 36 from my last dose
You will be very happy you did this you will have full control over all your decisions you won't have to plan your week or your day around a pill
You will be happy tomorrow and I'm happy for you keep in touch

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:48 pm 

Suz,
I wouldnt change a word Polly just said. It will be fine. Reread what Polly said. That is how it was for me too coming off pills..
I was back to normal in a very short time. Amazing really. No reason this wont happen for you too.

If your in moderate wd or worse then your induction will go fine.

Please come back in the morning and let us know! Im excited you you. Life is about to change. .

Razor..

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did it! Everything went fine and I feel great today! I still have some hesitations though because my Dr plans on keeping me on the Subs for only about 3-4 weeks! I think it's because of my insurance- I have Kaiser. But basically I have to go in for the first 3 days to get stabilized and then I believe they will start tapering me. I took 2 4mg tabs yesterday. I am going to get a better idea today of the tapering schedule. From what I've read this is way too fast. Will I have serious withdrawl?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:40 pm 

Susz, please get on the phone and find another sub doctor. The sub doctor you have is using suboxone to detox you from your drug of choice, but is not considering using sub for maintenance. You want a doctor who will put you on a maintenance dose and let you stabilize for months to years. I know you're worried about being "hooked" on sub, but it is normal to be dependent on the suboxone. You just won't have the attachment to it like you do your drug of choice.

The statistics are dismal for people who are on suboxone for less than a year. It's the stability of your life that's important! When you are ready to go off, you will go off. If you don't have the opportunity to stabilize, you will be right where you started when this doctor tapers you off. And you're right! His taper schedule is unrealistic. We have people here who step off sub after tapering down to .0125 mg or even lower. You can find plenty of information on that on this forum.

If you follow your doctor's plan, you will feel some withdrawal, but it's probably not going to be as intense as CT of your d.o.c. Your doctor should give you comfort meds to help get you through withdrawal.

But, listen to this please! If you follow your doctor's plan, be ready to start throwing yourself into some form of recovery. Whether it's outpatient therapy, addiction counseling, 12 step group, smart recovery. In order to remain in recovery, you will have to work at it!

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. You do have choices! I would pick the choice that leads to suboxone maintenance. As far as I'm concerned, you don't win a special prize for being completely off all medications. You get a prize for staying alive, keeping your relationships whole, being financially stable, and leading a happy life. You can do all of that on suboxone.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy, thank you. I wish I could get another doctor but I have Kaiser insurance and I learned today that they do not cover sub maintenance. I'm really scared because of the relapse rates for those who don't stay on. I am able to get an addiction therapist and have been going to NA and have a sponsor. Everyone I know is in recovery so I have great supports. I just wish I had more time. I'm deathly scared of how fast this taper is going to happen and what the withdrawl will be like. I can't miss any work or I will lose my job because I have been written up so many times for being late or missing due to my addiction. I hope I can make it through

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:54 pm 

You can, suzs, you can do this! As I said, your doctor should provide you with comfort meds during withdrawal. Start a thread in Stopping Suboxone to tell us all about your experience day by day. There are a number of people here who will give you support and encouragement. It's going to be OK!

If you're having major problems staying off, please consider finding a sub doctor, even though you would have to pay cash. Paying cash is better then being in the vicious circle of active addiction. An opiate habit can be expensive too.

I wish you the best!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kaiser is not an insurance doing business in the state I live in but I know it's a very large provider in the USA. Is it really true they don't cover sub maintenance? There has to be visitors to this site that have or have had it. Can you comment? I find it hard to believe and wonder if the doc is telling you this or you have heard it directly from the caririer? I'd check. Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am covered my Kaiser and currently doing a sub 3 week taper. They don't do maintenance. They offer a program where the patient has to do groups, counseling, drug testing and come into the office every 3-4 days to get their dose. The taper is approx 18 days. Then they offer naltrexone and continued outpatient support. At least that is the program I was told I have to do. I am currently on 4 mg and doing well. Feeling hopeful about my future!