It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[sub][/sub]
So I made my first appointment, they say they take my kps insurance but there's an initial fee of 350$ that no insurance covers. I'm so scared ill say the wrong thing and be turned away after I pay all that money. I will be completely broke after this appointment. It's worth it to be free of this constant struggle to not be sick. I looked this Dr up and all comments say hes rude especially to women. I been withdrawing for about a day n a half and scraped up money for a couple of sub strips (i bought off the street) what if that's all I have in my system when I go to my appointment? Can he turn me away for not having percoset in my pee? If I could I promise you I would. I'm at the end of my rope and all my hope is riding on this appointment on the 22nd. This is the only Dr around and its still an hour drive btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You certainly wouldn't be the first patient to go see a sub doc after they bought sub off the street. And it won't be the first time a sub doctor will have seen/heard this. At least I can't imagine it.

Many (most?) sub doctors don't take insurance at all, so if this doctor is taking yours in part, then that's pretty lucky. The best way to deal with a sub doctor, especially on the very first visit is, in my opinion, to be completely honest. Why start a relationship dealing with addiction recovery based on anything but honesty?

And try not to put too much stock into reviews online. Treat your doctor honestly and with respect and hopefully he will treat you the same in return. And there's nothing wrong with being completely honest and sharing your specific fears with your doctor - tell him what you're afraid of. If you're afraid of being judged, tell him that.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey wakeupshelly! I just went thru the same exact situation last wk. I hope ur dr treats u well and with respect...mine did, and I had the same fears. 'hat' is cmpltly correct tho. Always be honest w ur dr...that way he or she can give u the trtmnt, care and doseage u require. If u dont receive respect, I assure u that he or she is not the only dr u can find. As far as them not trtng u....cant imagine that happenning. Ur dr shud be trained in addiction care and if u need help in that area u will be treated. As far as drugs in ur system...well, not sure how ur dr views this. I was tested for safety reasons. They wont administer suboxone if u walk in under the influence of opiates...they dont want u to go into WD due to the the sub knocking the opiates of ur receptors. So u really shud walk in feeling terrible. they want u to be WDing so they can gauge ur dose. I was hurting so bad that I passed out in the waiting room. I walked out of the office feelin a lot better. In fact, I went to wrk the rest of the day. I hope this helps. I know how u feel, and the countdown to ur first appt is the worst, but hang in there. It'll be here before u know it. Just be sure ur in WDs when u go in. my dr told me to not take anything at least 24hrs prior to my induction. Call urs and see what they say...keep communicating with the offuce so u get the proper care u need. Good luck, much love, and keep us posted on ur progress!