It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Everybody,

I have begun suboxone treatment. My doctor's approach is simple: He says, "Anytime you feel a craving, just take a sub". He says this every appointment and sends me on my way with a script. I've asked him if he can recommend therapists to go along with the sub treatment to which he replies, "You think you need therapy? just take a sub when you have a craving and you will continue to be free from the prison".

Anyway.... My doctor's attitude, things I've read online about sub withdrawal, and knowing how the withdrawal from full-ags feels all have me skeptical, un-trusting, and afraid to commit to taking sub everyday. It does help make my cravings more manageable when i go through periods of taking it but I just can't seem to trust in the sub without fear of the inevitable withdrawal/ lack of trust about the whole program.

I worry that the life I build while on sub will fall away as soon as i come off... That I will loose interest, motivation and energy for the things I've gotten back into while "clean". I'm a fitness buff, recreationally and professionally as a personal trainer and my success depends largely me having high energy levels and being able to motivate not only myself but others. I fear if I commit to subs that further down the road when I'm ready to come off, this will crumble. I guess I'm just weighing the pro's and cons to committing to the subs... I've demonstrated time and time again that I cannot stay clean w/o them which is a huge financial burden (more so than subs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi oxen and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I must say is your doctor has you using suboxone incorrectly. It is NOT meant to be taken as needed or PRN. It is meant to be taken daily, every morning, the same dose. PERIOD. No extra doses are necessary. If you take your dose in the morning it will hold your cravings all day.

I understand your trepidation, however, you were already hooked on opiates prior to starting sub. We all already were and we all have withdrawals coming to us. And we couldn't taper down off our DOC, but we CAN taper off suboxone. That's the big difference. And suboxone WILL give us the time we need while we're on it to go over our life and fix what needs to be fixed, change our bad habits, build new coping skills, etc, etc. Those are things we need to survive living w/o drugs with or w/o suboxone. But if we live for awhile ON suboxone, we at least have that time with a safety net, so to speak, where we can get ready to live without suboxone. To LEARN to live without suboxone and to live a much more healthy life, one where we can live successfully without drugs. And suboxone can prepare us for that.

Just my two cents.

I'm sure others will come along and give you their opinions as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have the same exact thoughts, about if my life will crumble when I finally do decide to get off subs. I have had it in the back of my mind since I started subs. I am still afraid to commit, even though I do take it every day. I have kept it at a low dose thinking that if/when I do decide to quit, hopefully it won't take as long or be as hard to come off. I am just wondering if I'm putting a bandaid on the situation. But I guess having a bandaid is better than nothing at all. And it is definitely better than how I was living when I was actively using before I got on sub.

I don't know what my point is in posting, other than to tell you that you are not the only one who thinks this way and who is afraid to commit to this. I only planned on going on sub for just a couple weeks, just long enough to detox off of my doc, but I am getting more benefits from being on it than I planned. It has helped me with so many other things besides my addiction. Things like depression, anxiety, pain, sleepless nights...have all been relieved tremendously as a result of the sub.

Does it help you with anything else other than addiction? When I weigh the pros and cons, it is worth it to me to take advantage of what subs have to offer. I didn't expect for it to help me with all of these things that I have struggled with for so many years. I guess I am willing to go through whatever I have to in order to get off of them when that time comes, to be able to live a comfortable life right now...for however long I decide to stay on it.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey I'm new here but i want to say congrats on getting off your drug of choice and on to subs... if i may throw in my 2 cents here. I would def re-read what hatmaker is saying. Everything she is saying is correct. This isnt a use when u want kind of med. Here's what i think . If my doc had the kind of approach yours did i would probaly be a bit skeptical too. Therapy with subs is a grea idea and in my treatment program it's required. We all have those fears of "life after subs" most of have "normal" lives jobs kids homes ect we dont want to fall apart the minute we are off subs . With therapy there s a strong chance nothing will. therapy gives you the mental tools, and coping skills to live your life drug free. A lot of this will depend on your perspective and positive outlook that you can do this and be the same as strong, energetic or whatever you want to be .. as we were before or while on subs . You bringing this to the table means you are thinking about it and taking it seriously which is a good sign. I talk to my therapists take my subs as directed, try not to believe tapering or finally getting off subs will cause trouble and take it one day at a time, cheesy as it sounds. Good luck to you