It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Shortly after I started Suboxone I noticed a lack of support in the recovery community for persons using medication as part of their recovery. Not only a lack of support but in some cases people were down right indignant. There were even instances in the treatment center where I see my doctor of counselors singling out Suboxone clients and telling the group that persons on medication aren't "clean" or really in recovery. This led me to start a medication assisted recovery support group. Even after starting the support group I felt there was much more that could be done in the way of advocacy for persons on MAT so I decided to start an advocacy group which I've called RAUR-Raising Awareness and Understanding in Recovery. I began reading about MAT advocacy and found out about NAMA Recovery and the MARS Project. These examples became my inspiration. I organized an event for August 31st in solidarity with International Overdose Awareness Day and received media coverage through out local paper. We got front page, headline coverage of the event. There was a follow up interview I did which came out in yesterdays edition. I sent the link below to the president of Stop Stigma Now who in turn forwarded the link to Joyce Woods, the president of NAMA Recovery and project coordinator of MARS. She sent me her phone number with the instructions to call her. This process has been amazing for me! I wanted to share this with the hope that others might read it and consider starting their own groups. We can only end the stigma against MAT through advocacy, by coming out of the closet about our recovery and showing the world that medication works and our recovery is as valid as any others. I never would have thought I would be doing now what I am now. I hope others can find it within themselves to help work as a catalyst for change and help others who struggle with the shame forced upon them by misguided members of the recovery community. Together we can make change happen! Here is the link to my story-
http://www.goskagit.com/news/news_showc ... b6109.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 pm 

That is amazing news for me and others to hear and read Java.
Thank you for this information.

For over 3 years ive been trying to build something like this only to be told locally that MAT isnt really recovery.
My own clinic believes we are clean enough but insists on meeting and sponsors just to get there meds. How honest can one be if they need these meds as we do. ?

Anyway, if we can somehow work togather or get organized, have printed materials and the like this would be great and is much needed.
Maybe the time has come?
The need is so great.
Ill past on your message and artical to our group tonight...

Thanks again for shairing. ...

Razor..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:56 pm 

Awesome jiva!!

I think the exact same as u. I am extremely open about being an addict and definitely about being on suboxone and what a life saving medicine it is. There's so much stigma that comes with being an addict and suboxone. We even convinced our local newspaper to do an article about it. I understand why some addicts need or have to keep their lives and details on the down low. I'm not the most open person in the world but I'm proud to be in recovery and whatever I can do to get others to understand that it is possible, I'm definitely up for it.

We have suboxone group meetings 4 times a week. It's so important for ppl that's still suffering to know that there's hope. I'm so glad to hear about all ur progress, that's amazing and thank u for sharing that with us.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:50 pm 

Thank you, Jiva! For doing the work of advocacy! You are correct in that we will never get rid of the stigma of addiction and MAT unless we stand up and are counted!

I want you all to know that I am advocating MAT to my fellow students in grad school and the professors. Many of them work at facilities that do abstinence only treatment, even though they give lip service to using the most up to date and evidence based practices.

I hope to eventually start a group or groups locally as well. Keep up the good and life-saving work!!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My anger at 'traditional recovery programs' is the impetus behind my blog-- and behind this forum. I've worked at several 'rehab programs' over the years-- and I've always been (un)impressed at how people see and hear only the things that support their own views-- and discard anything that runs counter to their views. At one program for example, there would frequently be obituaries in the paper for people we had released from treatment only weeks or months earlier. People would either ignore them-- or insist that 'they didn't want it bad enough'. Of course, when they were in treatment, they could not be differentiated from any other 'successful' graduates. The bottom line is that non-medication-based treatment has a very high relapse rate, and a high death rate. Yet the media pushes the story that the $50,000 treatment programs 'work'.

We need to constantly educate and inform, wherever we have the chance. Unfortunately, many residential treatment programs are run by 'recovering CEOs' who are repeatedly interviewed by the mainstream media-- where they continue to push their false message.

Just gotta keep getting the word out...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:24 pm 

Hello everyone,
Glad to be reading this thread and thank you Java and Dr J.
Today was ,for me a historic clinic day. I meet every month with a highly respected Addiction Dr.Our program is very much a 12 step based place. Meetings are a must with papers signed the first three months. You can only guess what this does in the "rooms" for our beginners. It can be hard.
The part ive always had trouble with is the total lack of Any Buprenorphine education. This is a large university med school. The staff do not talk about the ceiling effect. Induction is done at home with little instruction. .im not writing all this to bad mouth my clinic or dr. He is well aware of the mis an disinformation out there. He is a good smart man.

Two months ago I told our clinic group about this forum. Ive always done this in a person to person kind of way. When Dr S asked me what Im doing in my recovery ,Ive said "Im here to educate on Buprenorphine. "And such. Not total 12 step meetings only..

So today with a room full of people and med students he asked me" Tells us about this ,what is it, sub forum thing"?
I gave a talk for several minutes on just what Dr Junig has done here and why. Blurted out quickly some of our top topics. I was just thrilled he was so opened to it, AND I asked if I could put an information pack togather for Everyone currently on bupe and for the newcomers who need to know the facts!! He is waiting for me to deliver!!!!

Im beside myself with joy. I want them all here with us. . I guess the time has come there to open up more to other ways of recovery. So forum,Dr J, all of us togather are making a difference. To understand bupe is to hopefully understand Opiate Addiction. The Huffington Post artical was a good start..Java, what your doing is truely remarkable. Thanks and congratulations.

Didnt mean to hijack the thread or anything, just saw Docs post and thought it would fit in nicely. .Now all I need is 500 copies of the Users Guide!!!

Razor....... :D