It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys, could use your feedback here. I have been on and off opiates for 10 years. I just got prescribed subs and I had planned to just do a 2 week sub taper to avoid tapering off the opiates which always sucks. So far I have done 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2 (today). I planned to roll 2mg for a few days, then 1.5 a couple, then 1 a few, .5 a couple and then probably jump. Basically keeping it at 2 weeks or under total so I don't get any dependence to the subs.

Now I feel pretty good (no high, just good normal) on 2mg. I know if I keep my quick taper plan, I will avoid most all acute w/d, but I'll still be dealing with the annoying post acute crap for a couple months. With it being in my peak work months over the next few months, I'm mainly worried about lethargy/lack of motivation, which had me contemplating rolling a couple months on the 2mg before getting off.

So I guess my question is, if I were to roll on 2mg for say the next 2-3 months, how much harder would it be to taper off the sub? How much more of the dreaded sub withdrawal symptoms will I experience being on 2mg for 3 months straight before tapering? Since it's a low dose of 2mg, and only 3 months will it be fairly easy to get off still or will I be in for a much rougher time coming off if I stay on 2mg for 3 months vs. the 2 week quick taper I planned? Thank you guys very much in advance for anyone with any input for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Honestly if you want to get off with the least discomfort doing the two week taper is probably best in my opinion. But there's a lot of other factors. 2-3 month suboxone habbit shouldn't be very bad to get off of either, you said you've been on and off user for 10 years, do you have a plan to stay sober this time once you get clean? Need to make changes in your life to prevent going back to the same cycle. More time on suboxone can allow you to develop the skills needed to stay sober if you need them. It's more of a personal decision depending where your at. Hope it works out well for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your advice Impala. Yes I am hoping/planning to stay clean and I definitely understand the philosophy of staying on the subs till you fix the addiction problems. I just was hoping to give it another try first before considering that route. My main issues are lethargy and lack of motivation when I get off so I was considering trying Wellbutrin first before longer term sub maintenance. The only reason I was considering going 2-3 months for now was to be more focused during my busy work season, and then try the Wellbutrin come fall when things slow down a bit and I can afford to be off my game a little more. I just don't know if it's worth it to extend the sub now and get physically addicted to it when I'm not considering true maintenance yet (only 2-3 months). We know that only being on sub for 2 weeks will be easy to taper off as my body won't be physically dependent on it yet. I was just concerned if I ran the 2mg/day for 3 months that basically it will not be much different than running it a year in the sense that it's going to be a difficult time coming off, but you don't think that's the case I'm thinking. If it was October, I wouldn't even consider running it more than the 2 weeks, it's just being June that is the issue with my business. But thank you again for your feedback.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to clarify.... there is no such thing as 'suboxone physical dependence' that is distinct from any other opioid dependence. You are physically dependent (and by the sounds of it, addicted) to opioids. All of the actions of buprenorphine occur through your mu opioid receptors, which are already opioid-tolerant.

As a warrior for the cause of making buprenorphine treatment more-available, I would favor that you go on a quick taper. I say that because the people who see things as you do-- i.e. who think buprenorphine is somehow addictive by itself, independent of pre-existing opioid dependence---often end up thinking and saying that 'they are hooked on subs'. In reality, they are hooked on opioids, and using 'subs' to prevent withdrawal... but their mind twists it to the point where buprenorphine caused their problems!

Not saying you'll do that, of course.... but understand that the problem is opioid dependence. Using a long-acting partial agonist like bupe will reduce the severity of withdrawal symptoms, but may prolong the acute state a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the advice as well suboxdoc. I understand I am dependent on opioids/kratom, and they are the problem not the bup. I was just under the impression that bup is much more difficult to come off of than regular opioids when used longer term, but on the other hand not difficult to taper off of when used short term. I just wasn't sure if a low 2mg dose for a few months would be as difficult. I will just stick with the quick taper that I planned for to be safe for now and continue to taper down over the next 10 days and jump. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think it's the right choice for where you are you want to be off of everything so no use prolonging it. When used right suboxone can make a detox a lot easier. Work helps me to keep my mind off of how I feel when It helped me a good bit to get through, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to get off work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks again for the reply brother, ya I'll just stick with the plan of 2-2.5 weeks and just do my best to keep busy once off. Appreciate the help making up my mind fellas.