It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My Dr. Advice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:45 pm 
Well, today i went to my sub dr. to get some aids for PAWS. We had a little discussion about weening, jumping and the withdrawal process.

I asked him, whats the lowest dose you want your patients jumping at? His answer: 1mg is more than low enough. Going down that low will bring little withdrawals and minimal discomfort.

Ok. WOW. Good for him, he is a Dr. that dresses nice and has a diploma. and oh yea, He took an 8 hour class before being able to prescibe suboxone. He is an EXPERT on suboxone. I'm sorry, but I've been taking and living at SUBOXONE university for closer to 8 years with other opiates involed experimentally before suboxone. AN 8 HOUR CLASS! i didnt even bother telling him 1mg is actually a pretty high dose to jump from and you shoudl even skip every other day towards the end if you want a smooth taper with as little discomfort as possible. I didnt' say anything because when you talk to a Dr. you are never right let alone get through to them. Some of them truly want to help you, but we are usually just junkies in thier eye.

Amongst other things that he said that were completely bogus in my experiences. He probably took the class and went over the studies when suboxone was realesed. And is still keeping a stance on a study where we have found out that the withdrawal is much more complex to beat then these guys make it out to be. With new information these past couple of years, some Dr.'s are choosing to stop prescibing the medicine.

Then you got Dr.'s like Junig. Who lives for this treatment of this medication. He knows what he is talking about and i would readily take his information. Maybe i wouldnt agree with some of his stances on it, but he knows the current studies and the correct tapering process, dosing, etc.... And straight up, there are more Dr.'s that are on the naive side to suboxone as oppsed to the well educated ones like Junig. Also, Dr. J has had his experiences with addiction. Frankly, most Dr.'s have not had opiate dependencies. So they can NEVER truly understand. I can read about climbing mount everest for the rest of my life and never know what its like to reach the top of that summit. I can read trashy romance novels and be entralled with love stories and movies adn watch people in love all day everyday. But does that mean that i truly know and understand love?

Hey look, all i'm saying is SOMETIMES you know whats best for you in your recovery (if you really want it and have a game plan) rather than your Dr. when he says how to stop taking the med, when to jump and at what dosage. I'm not gonna say all Dr.'s or even most of them are like this..... But, i'm sure when you guys are talking to your Doc's you can get your own idea. That is jsut what i have been dealing with. I'm sure many of you have wonderful Dr.'s that are extremely involved in every detail about suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, my doctor thought 1mg was plenty low enough to taper as well and thought I was kinda nuts for doing the taper I did.

On the other hand, I was his first patient to get off Sub and not relapse, so I guess the proof is in the pudding.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: Same Here
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 am 

I was told 2mgs shouldn't cause much discomfort. But again, I believe they are only spewing what they were told by the sales person. Now after several years I'm sure some of them are changing their story. Obviously not yours!

We've always known that we know best and always will unless we get a bunch of doctors who end up as addicts and put themselves on Suboxone. Then we will get better informed Dr.s.