It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all. I've been on 1.5mg suboxone for exactly a month. I want to come off and was wondering if there is any way I can predict how brutal withdrawal will be? I know 1.5mg isn't a "large" dose, but I'm also aware of how powerful suboxone is. I know a taper couldn't hurt, but would it be necessary? The only reason I'm against a taper is because I'll be on suboxone for more time.

Also note that 1.5mg is the highest dose I've taken...I didn't taper down to 1.5 from 8 or 4 etc. like others here, nor was I on another opiate/opiod prior to suboxone.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi Popstarghost...cool screen name!! Welcome to the forum!!

I personally have not tapered myself. I have read a TON of stories about it, and the withdrawal they went through
though. From what I gather, it seems to be a very individual process. Honest to God. I know that sounds really
vague, but that's just what I've read on here and another forum. I've seen where some people jump from 16mg/day
after a year of taking it, and only withdrawal for a week to 10 days. I've also seen people jump from .25mg/day and
the withdrawal and PAWS carries on for months. It just depends on the person.

I, personally, will probably just jump when I decide to come off of suboxone. I am not the kind of person who is capable
of tapering off of a drug. If I were, I would have tapered off of opiates. I would rather endure the hard withdrawal in
the beginning, maybe a few weeks of low energy, and be done with it. The physical stuff I can handle. It's the mental
that would get me. It always did with opiates.

If I were in your shoes, and took that low of a dose, for that little bit of time, I'd jump and be done. Why prolong the
process and allow the sub to build up in your system? I say if you are mentally and physically strong enough, and
prepare yourself for it, then you'll do fine. Like I said earlier, it is a very individual experience for everyone. There are
similarities yes, but to say that you WILL feel THIS WAY, is kinda a crap shoot.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best and would like itif you checked in from time to time to let us know
how you are and how it is going. Good luck to you and again, Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey popstar,

Welcome to the forum!!

Seeing as you've only been on Suboxone for a month and that you've been on a pretty low dose, you could probably just jump from where you're at.

If I were you, I'd try skipping days first. Suboxone has a mean half life of 37 hours, so trying to skip a day would give you a good indication of what your wd will be like. Try skipping one day at first, see how you feel. If you feel ok, try skipping two days and go from there. If this method fails, you can always do a quick taper.

I'm curious, you say you weren't on any other opiates, do you mind if I ask why you got on Suboxone?