It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi gang! So I just discovered that I need my wisdom teeth out. I'm not so much worried about the pain after as I am being knocked out. We'll it work or will soboxone block it? I'm also worried about the horror stories I hear about people being paralyzed and can't move during surgery but can hear and feel everything. Does anyone have any wisdom about my wisdom teeth? Lol I know, I'm a dork :wink: thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:19 pm 

Hi Pugmommy, No, I do not think you are a dork...I love it! So, my experience has been very good with having teeth pulled. Granted, they were not wisdom, but I did do four with novacane and nitrous and I was fine. There is no bigger baby than me when it comes to the dentist! If I can do it, anyone can! I was always an advocate for iv valium drip and vicodin to go home with! But, that was before suboxone. I would just make sure that you have plenty of motrin and can sleep when you get home. Good luck! Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I had oral surgery in October while on Suboxone. I didn't have my wisdom teeth out but I did have four implants done in the front of my mouth. This is what my doctor suggested: For a week before the procedure, switch to generic bupe.-stay on 16mg/day. If I needed to take the pain medication that was given to me(hydro and tramadol) to stop the generic bupe. one day before starting those. I was also to continue the generic for a week after my procedure. I chose to have an anesthesiologist present instead of just local. I spoke to him prior to the surgery and told him my dosage and my doctor's plan. I was dead set on not taking the pain meds or having them even filled, no matter my pain level. Then I thought that sounded silly to be in pain so I filled them just in case. The procedure went great! I was asleep the whole time, no issues there-I stayed at 16mg up until the morning of, since I was not allowed to eat or drink and only allowed to take medication they instructed me to take that morning. I did have pain that evening and a few days after so I attempted to take my pain medication-it didn't work(I now have a better plan for pain relief with meds for the future, thanks to this forum!). I took ibuprofen and my generic bupe. and had no pain at all!!!! All I needed was the ibuprofen. Those two bottles of pain meds are still in my cabinet today to remind myself that I don't need them. I was worried so much leading up to the surgery, and everything turned out just fine! I'm sure you will be fine too! Let us know how it goes please

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate you both taking the time to share your experience. I will keep updated to share my experience of oral surgery on suboxone to hopefully help someone else in the future. Happy new year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:36 am 

Hey Pugmommy!!!!!

I had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out when I was 26. I wasn't addicted then so I won't be able to offer u any experience with that. They put me in what they called a twilight state. I was as close to being under as under can go without being under lol make sense? I don't remember a thing. If ppl wake up in the middle of it, I don't know how they can remember it because I sure didn't. They could hardly wake me up after it was over. Try not to listen to the horror stories :)

The pain after wasn't anything horrible to me, they gave me this thing that wrapped around the side of my face with two ice packs on each side of my cheeks. That helped the pain the most. Ibuprofen also worked wonders. So try to not listen to others, just like childbirth, ppl will have u thinking ur gonna be running to the woods screaming lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jennjenn! I was hoping I'd hear from you. Ya, some people just like to scare the crap out of other people. Lol. Happy new year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:19 am 

Pugmommy where have u been? I wonder about ya from time to time :)

No worries about ur wisdom teeth, you'll be out of there before u know it with an ice wrap around ur face like I was lol. But please come bk and let us know how it went. I had a bk tooth also pulled about a yr ago and just used suboxone as my pain reliever and it worked! I can't tell ya it'll feel that way with ur wisdom teeth missing lol but the pain doesn't last very long.

Good luck and please come bk MORE!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi pm....

Are you having them done in the dentist office? Mine were deeply impacted I believe is the word...it's been nearly 40 years since....so they did it in a hospital while I was knocked out on general anesth.

Most wisdom teeth extractions are not a huge problem so I hesitate to even post. But you didn't mention whether your doctor knows you're on the buprenorphine. (If I just missed it please forgive me). If not, I think you should def. tell him. It sounds like you're also going to be under, and you have worries about the bupe interfering. It it were me I'd discuss it with him, not because i think it will somehow block the anesthetic, but
to set my worrying mind at rest. Also, I'd want to ask him about how much pain to expect.

Unlike the other's who've posted here, I did have significant pain. There's a lot of terrific information on buprenorphine and surgery on the "talk zone" section of this site. They're very easy to find, but if you
have a problem I'll be happy to help.

I think the main question is how much pain will you be dealing with? If not major, then tylenol or some such over the counter med work well. I've had some pretty significant pain which tylenol handled quite well. But if it's going to be a complicated, major deal, you might need something stronger.

Best wishes

Godfrey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi guys and thank you for responding. Jennjenn I've been around, but no questions that requires my knowledge as far as I could see, so I haven't been posting. Godfrey, thank you for your concern. They came in fine 30 years ago, but a month ago a piece of one tooth came off so I had to see emergency dentist out of town on Christmas Vaca and he said to remove them all. I just got back to town and have to find a surgeon, thank God they're not impacted. I was worried about anesthesia being blocked from buprenorphine. Doc Junig was an anesthesiologist, I was hoping he would see this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:39 pm 

Mine were partially bone impacted. But the oral surgeon was able to remove them in an outpatient procedure. He called it a twilight state or something like that, and that's how it went. It wasn't a huge deal for me but that was 14 yrs ago and before addiction. I've had no problems with the dentist numbing up my gums on suboxone pugmommy :) worked just fine and I know epidurals still work on suboxone, so I think you'll be ok.

Hopefully Dr. Junig or docm2 will chime in to help u feel better about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi pm...

Here's a reassuring link for you

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/im-on-subox ... e-surgery/

Bottom line, it's no problem as long as your anesthesiologist is aware.

Hope this helps!

Godfrey

P.S. The key paragraph is towards the end. The article is written by Dr. jung, so you can trust it :D

"As for general anesthesia, buprenorphine does not pose significant problems, provided that the anesthesiologist is aware that the patient takes buprenorphine and has a high opioid tolerance. Opioids are often used during anesthesia to blunt changes in blood pressure and heart rate, and larger doses of opioids would be required for people taking buprenorphine. The amnesia component of an anesthetic is generally provided by medications not blocked by buprenorphine, such as anesthetic vapors or benzodiazepines."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh boy godfrey, you just mailed it. Thank you very much! The dentist I went to knows about buprenorphine because we thought he was just gonna pull it until we found out it was a wisdom. I will for sure tell the oral surgeon, and I will be seeing my sub doctor soon. Jennjenn, I can always count on you to be there for me. God bless you both for taking time out of your day to help me. Oh and godfrey, isn't this life on buprenorphine so much better? I read somewhere else that you're kinda knew to the med. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oopsies, nailed not mailed, new not knew lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi pugmommy,

Of course I'm very glad to help. God knows I got so much assistance
from so many generous people when I first came around so very long ago (November of 2016 :D

You're so right about this being a better life. My only regret is that it took me so long
to make the jump. I was worried about not much of anything as it turned out. Yes,
I had a fairly rough time with a couple hours of PW and then a few days of being
mildly dope sick (my tolerance was so high the bupe couldn't quite cover it
for the first 3 days). But now that it's over it seems a small thing to go through
for the freedom I now enjoy.

Kiss your pug for me. We've got 3 Italian Greyhounds, which means things
are quite insane around here much of the time. They're very much
like 3 year old children. Only they never get any smarter!

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not wisdom teeth removal, but 3 years ago (well, January 12 will be 3 years ago), I went into the dentist for a pretty big procedure...I had 10 remaining teeth combined top and bottom, and all 10 were being extracted.

I had never had more than 2 at once extracted in one sitting...so I was scared..
I chose to be gassed...which I thought would be great ..
So, I turned up for my appt, took my sub like normal (didn't really go into my sub with the dentist since it was all local and gas)..

I get in there and they give me the gas...and nothing happened.
30 minutes of breathing gas, still no results. Turns out I am in the 5% of people that gas has no effect on at all. I felt absolutely nothing..not even a little. So that didn't help..I had to endure it while just on local. I was shot 3 times in the top and 3 times in the bottom with local.
I had to stop him twice to get more local because I felt massive pain when he started using the elevator tool...

But, it wasn't as bad as I thought.
My sub helped tremendously, along with ibuprofen. I didn't use the pain pills at all..

The worst part was drinking nothing but ensure for 2-3 days, then only being able to eat soft food for a month.
I would drink 2-3 ensure at once because 1 just isn't enough. I could even drink 4 at once if I was really hungry. They work, just takes a lot of them...

All in all, the sub was my lifesaver for pain during that. Yes, I felt pain, but the sub did what it needed and it was very manageable...whereas with pain pills, you're more likely to just not care about the pain and hurt yourself in some way..

I've also had my wisdom teeth removed via oral surgery (all 4 impacted).
That was done when I was 22..I'm 38 now...so it's been more than a couple years, and well before my sub, or my major addiction to oxy and tabs.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Pugmommy,

The anesthetic they usually use these days for oral surgery and other minor surgeries is Propofol. It's a short acting anesthetic/sedative that I believe works on the GABA system, so it wouldn't be affected by an opioid. I agree with what others have said though, and definitely share with the anesthesiologist that you are on Sub.
My son had his out 2 years ago and he only needed ibuprofen 800 after the surgery. Like you, his weren't impacted. My guess is you will do fine with the surgery and probably won't need narcotics afterword. The Sub will help with the pain, too.

Best of luck to you,
Lilly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Oh Godfrey I feel your pain. Was on 120 MG methadone when I switched, pw and a week of lowering tolerance but well worth it. Unfortunately my pug left me to be with God and Jesus a few months ago, I rescue pugs and foster the elderly ones. So kiss your greyhounds for me. I used to live in Detroit and there was a dog racetrack, people were always adopting the retired ones. Johnathan I'm delighted to have you respond! I've read your posts since joining this site, how are the kids? That's terrible having to go through that dentistry with nothing working to numb you. And lillyval thank you so much as well for your post!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Morning pugmommy,,

I"m very sorry to read about your doggie. One of our IG's is16 now and beginning to fail. Very hard to watch. He's had a very long life for a dog, but of course it's never enough. At some point we'll have that painful decision to make...been through it too many times over the years. It only gets harder.

The good news is he's still enjoying life. Still gets wiggy waggy and still plays with his mates a bit. We'll
be there for him when he needs us. I know you've had plenty of experience yourself. One learns as a pet
lover that there's no such thing as a happy ending.

Dog rescue people will all have a place in heaven.

All the best.
G.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:01 am 

Pugmommy I'm so sorry to hear about ur pug! It's very awesome that u rescue them too though! My brother has a pug and he's overweight lol bad. For Christmas he had a jingle bell ruffle around his neck and New Years Eve a fancy bow tie lol. That's the only pug I've been around but I know they're very smart.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I cried like a baby last Christmas over a cat. ...not just any normal cat either. This cat was feral as a kitten, and was living under my house (against my wishes). I have a brick house with those metal vents that vent the underside..and these cats were going in and out of those vents..but it was too tight a fit for them. This particular cat had scraped her neck so many times on that vent that it created a wound. And apparently, a bot fly had laid it's larva somewhere around the area on the vent where they were going in and out...so when the kitten's neck came in contact with the bot fly larvae, it transferred.

I managed to catch the kitten before this larvae got into it, caught in a cage by luring with food. I had the wise idea that I could just grab a 10 week-old kitten free-handed from a catch after it had been feral since birth and never been touched by a human before. BIG mistake!!! And she dug deep in a couple spots, plus bit me.

But, my son, the animal lover he is (just like me)..he kept working with her and finally got to where he could touch her. And soon after that, the larvae started really growing, and I think it had her sickly, because she just didn't have the energy to fight me, so I brought kitten inside, and with my wife's help, we held down a somewhat feral 14 week-old kitten and I pulled out a living bot fly larvae with tweezers.

Little did I know that I was doing something that could be VERY fatal if I made a mistake. If I had just missed getting the larvae and busted the larvae open, it would've leaked inside the kittens wound and killed her. I found out AFTER the fact...but all was good. I pulled out an in-tact larvae...which looked like an alien..and flushed it. Then for the next couple of weeks, I was using peroxide and cleaning the kittens wound daily, plus neosporin...

She became a pet fairly quick..but was still a little skittish. She would come sit beside me on the bed, but wasn't ever gonna be a lap cat...just wasn't her style. And we loved her.

But she got pregnant with kittens from a MUCH bigger cat. She went into labor on a friday evening in December..and by Saturday evening she had birthed ONE kitten...and it was starving to death...because she wouldn't nurse it. (I cried pretty hard when I had to kill a 1-day old kitten before it died from starvation)...
By Monday, we were desperate. We went to the vet at 8am sharp..and he immediately took her back and gave us a somewhat decent prognosis...
He would give her fluids and pitocin, and lube her up, and wait to see if she would have them natural. If not, he would operate and take them.

We came home pretty hopeful...
An hour and a half passed, no phone call..and we got worried. Finally the call came...
It wasn't good news.
She had suffered her uterus rupturing, and a kitten was birthed into her abdominal cavity. She had already gone septic when he opened her up to do surgery. He had to put her down on the operating table.
Her suffering was over, but she left us pretty upset. I went to retrieve her remain so my son could bury her, since he was the one who got her to be used to humans in the first place...

I'll never forget her, and how strong she was, even though I know she was in some major pain that weekend of pure hell she went through before the vet visit. I am happy she didn't suffer anymore, but dammit, she was loved by us all and had that special attitude...

I have another cat that was supposed to belong to my daughter, (a siamese my daughter asked for, and we paid $75 for her)..but every time my daughter would take her in her room and close the door, the kitten would cry to get out, then would come to me in our bedroom...

Months later, I have a grown siamese cat that is spoiled to me and won't have much to do with anyone else at all. I didn't ever really take time with her since she was supposed to be my daughter's, but she took up with me.

I've always heard that animals pick their owner...I find it's very true, especially with this siamese.
We still have a kitten that lived from the feral cat we had put to sleep (a litter she had before the fatal litter that caused her uterus to rupture).
She's like her momma, a strange cat..and she only has something to do with my youngest son (the same son that saved the cats mother when the bot fly was in her neck).
I've seen this cat even cleaning my son...like she's mothering him..

But..I digress..this is off-topic.

(BTW, the kids are great. Reagan is going to be 5 in February..and my oldest...wow...she'll be 16 next wednesday on 11th).

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.