It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I knew your youngest was about that age cuz when I first came here I remember you telling a story about how your newborn had to go to the hospital. That's great what you did for that cat, I've seen botfly on YouTube yuck. There's a movie coming out the end of this month, a dog's journey based on the book. I laughed and cried reading it, not sure if I can watch some of the parts I know are Goin to be shown.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 pm 

One of my favorite books Pug, can't wait for the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Agreed Razor! A Dog's Purpose starts Jan 17. If you all haven't yet, read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, told from the loved dog's point of view. Excellent!! on the NYT best seller list for 156 wks.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Back to meds for DDS surgery. I had 22 oral surgeries on both US coasts and a couple states in between, which helped keep my addiction cycle going. The first few were w the DDS oral surgeon only, but the rest all had a separate anesthesiologist.
Benzos are the main meds given at DDS appts bc they provide excellent coverage, no memory of it and no opiods. Usually its Versed aka midazolam.
Fentanyl was usually also added. Some of my anesthesiologists used remifentanil, a highly potent opiate, is non liver metabolized so has a short half life and only lasts for 4" post 4 hr infusion.
Also, Buprenex is used. Yes, this is IV buprenorphine. Back when on pain meds, I failed to tell the anesthesiologist that I was on high dose fentanyl. Opps!! He kept giving me more and more and more IV buprenorphine to cover my undisclosed high opiate tolerance until my sweating, blood pressure, RLS and tachycardia was too high to continue. Yes, he put me into precipitated withdrawal!. We were both mad at each other - but it was my fault!! Ya, they fired me.
My experience w Propofol for dental work is to RUN unless given in a hospital setting bc one injection only last minutes. Its really for deeper levels of anesthesia and not generally used in dental offices but more often in a hospital setting for dental care, requires careful monitoring and specialized equipment that automatically delivers timed incremental doses once the anesthesia machine is programed for your weight and height etc...
I also did really well w post op scripts of steroids but I'm aware Dr J is not a fan of them so need to mention that.
Point is we all need to tell our DDS oral surgeon and anesthesiologist what meds we are on. Wishing all well! P