It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Before pregnancy I was on suboxone for opiate dependence. I was on suboxone for about 2 years before switching to subutex when I found I was 2 weeks pregnant. When I started on the suboxone before preg I was taking mostly 6 mgs a day for about a year. Then after a year I began taking less of the medication lowing my dose of suboxone to 2 mg a day. And mostly sticking to 2 mgs a day whereas I would take 4 mg a day if needed which happened pretty rarely.
Now I am 10 weeks preg and am still taking 2 mg every 24 or so hrs. I have been taking the 2 mgs a day basically for 6 or more months before the pregnancy.
I need advice. What are your expirences or ideas on the pregnant mother taking a low dose of subutex throughout pregnancy? Plus my doc says she wants to increase dose per day during 3rd trimester? Would it be better for the baby if I still took a low dose and ignored doc on taking more later on?
Btw I am prescribed 4 mgs a day but am usually taking just 2 a day. I don't feel sick (slight sneezing occationally that's all) I take 4 mg pretty rarly unless I feel feverish and I need it.
What kind of withdrawals w. baby have been seen with the pregnant mother on a low dose of subutex, or being on a low dose and increasing in 3rd trimester?
Advice or thoughts would be great. This is my first ever pregnancy and I never would have wanted to be on Subutex... actually my first sub doc tried to tell me withdrawling off 2 mgs a day would be best and I tried withdrawling at atleast 3-4 weeks preg for 2 days or 48 hours and had such severe withdrawal that I finally took small pieces of suboxone a day until I found a doctor that would prescribe me subutex and at the time I only had to take the suboxone for a few days until I got my script for subutex and a new doctor.
So that's my expirence so far. Any thoughts? Thanks much!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 pm 

Hi Sarah,

Sorry your post wasn't answered by a woman yet. We've had plenty of members have babies who were born just fine on about the same dose you are on. Do some searching in this category and you'll see some recent ones.

My opinion is you should not increase your dose like your doctor told you to. Did you ask why? There must be some kind of reason behind it.

I can't really advise you one way or another. All I can do is say Welcome to the forum! And hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Oh yea, congratulations!

rule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Sarah. Congrats on the pregnancy! As Rule mentioned, you can find a lot of great info on this forum from several women who were/are in your situation.
2 mg is a low dose, and buprenorphine is generally considered safe during pregnancy. However, it is also possible to wean off completely if you so choose. Many women have gone on to deliver perfectly healthy babies with no NAS. However, it is a possibility that the baby will have withdrawal after birth. Regardless, there are no known long-term effects.
I am currently on 1 mg and am almost 30 weeks. I'm trying to wean off before my son is born, but I may end up having to stay where I'm at.
There are many wonderful people here that can offer you more info and support!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you feel fine during your third trimester of your pregnancy, I'd say your 2mg dose will be fine. As long as you feel no wd symptoms or cravings, that is. Your doctor probably recommended increasing due to increased blood volume occurring during pregnancy, which could potentially cause the 2 mgs you take note not to be as effective for you at maintaining your blood level of buprenorphine above the ceiling level for the entire dosing interval. It's actually pretty common to need an increase during pregnancy. Many studies show that babies if moms maintained on buprenorphine during pregnancy have a 50 percent chance of NAS in their babies, however with buprenorphine the NAS is usually less severe and either requires no medication to treat or much less medication than babies born to mothers taking a full agonist opiate. Also, hospital stays ate usually shorter for babies being treated for nas when mom was in buoe during pregnancy. Dr. Jana Burson who is an addiction doctor and has an awesome and informative blog covers this topic in detail in many of her entries. Just Google Jana Burson's blog, and you'll easily find it. The answers to just about all your questions can be found there with research and literature cited throughout each entry if you want to read more in depth. Just use the search feature and enter the word pregnancy once you are on her page. Hope that helps! And congratulations!