It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Advice on Interview
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just found this site.
I will contribute a good bit more but right now I need some quick advice.
I am on 8mil Sub a day.
I go to the chemist each morning and disolve it under my tongue under supervision.
This has been going on 2 weeks now and I see my doc tomorrow to discuss things.
Sub has been a wonder drug for me.
I been a user of opiate painkiller Tablets for over 20 years.
Started off with 4 DF118s/Dyhydrocodeine a day.
Ended up on a diet of Codeine/MST/Oxys and Tramadol.
Couldnt get enough.
20 purples.
30 mill MST a day.
God knows the amount of Oxy.
I was taking 2 strips of 14 fast release in the morning.
28 Fast release as soon as I got out of bed then crunching up the blues whites and yellows slow release as many as I could get.
On Trams I cut down to 30 x 50 mills a day of fast release when I was on them.
Twice before that I ended up with seizures from mixing large amounts of slow 200 mills and fast 50 mills over the days and hadnt a clue how many I had in me.
Anyway Sub has changed my life.
I am determined to stop taking the other stuff.
But the 8 mill isnt holding me.
Am staying away from the opiates.
But after a few hours of taking mu Sub in the morning I am craving.
At the minute I am taking Diazepam to take the cravings away through the day and beer in the evening.
My Doctor told me he wanted to take my dose up slowly because of other meds I am on.
I know if I can get to the right dose of Sub I can get by without the Diazepam and beer and not go back to the Opiates.
Whats the best thing to say to the Doctor tomorrow to get the dose raised.
Just tell the truth.
Avoid some of it.
I have found hope here and I want to get it right.

Post subject: Re: Advice on Interview
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some people respond well to buprenorphine alone, but some people need more than just medication. It is possible that you need more than 8 mg per day, but the fact that you have cravings so soon after a dose suggests to me that something else is going on. Recovery is a complex issue, and I can't explain it all in one post... but the process includes letting go of trying to control how you feel, and learning to tolerate 'life on life's terms'. Those processes are described and assisted in recovery meetings-- either 12 step or other approaches. I believe that a key part of 'recovery' is recognizing one's powerlessness over opioids, and realizing that the only way to avoid misery is to avoid illicit opioids-- just as we avoid falling off high buildings if we don't want to die from striking the pavement at 100 mph. Maybe not the best analogy...

are you getting any therapy in addition to the buprenorphine?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
Some people respond well to buprenorphine alone, but some people need more than just medication. It is possible that you need more than 8 mg per day, but the fact that you have cravings so soon after a dose suggests to me that something else is going on. Recovery is a complex issue, and I can't explain it all in one post... but the process includes letting go of trying to control how you feel, and learning to tolerate 'life on life's terms'. Those processes are described and assisted in recovery meetings-- either 12 step or other approaches. I believe that a key part of 'recovery' is recognizing one's powerlessness over opioids, and realizing that the only way to avoid misery is to avoid illicit opioids-- just as we avoid falling off high buildings if we don't want to die from striking the pavement at 100 mph. Maybe not the best analogy...

are you getting any therapy in addition to the buprenorphine?

Cheers for the advice.
The Dr upped me to 10 mills and I feel a lot more settled on that.
Plus I took the advice I found on the Forum of drinking Grapefruit Juice.
Somethings working as I havent bothered with my Diazepam the day.
Dont know if you have Diazepam in America.
Its just a cheaper version of Valium.
Anyway I got my 10 mill of Sub at half 9 this morning.
Its now twenty past 4 pm here and I feel spot on.
Hopefully I wont be looking beer tonight.

No am not getting therapy.
I was invited to go to NA meetings but declined.
Though I did attend one when they came into the clinic while I was in swapping from opiates to Sub.
Seemed like decent boys.
Am just getting used to this site but I think I noticed an NA spot which I am going to investigate.
Cheers

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi RGB,

Dr. J gave you some great advice above that I'm tempted to copy and paste onto numerous posts I see here from newbies. Although Suboxone is a miracle for most of us, it is too much to expect it to completely eliminate years of triggers and cravings over night. It just takes time to overcome all of the habits we have ingrained in ourselves after many years of taking opiates every time we don't feel right. AA/NA or some good one on one counseling is really necessary if you want to learn to deal with life without abusing drugs.

I'm curious about the NA group you mentioned. Were they aware that you were in the process of transitioning to Suboxone? It's not that often you find a group that accepts this, so if you did happen to find one I would definitely give them a go. I don't know how the NA groups are in your area, I'm assuming somewhere in the UK? Maybe they are more accepting of maintenance treatment there?

I also wanted to mention that since one of your DOC's was tramadol you might benefit from some type of SSRI. I also used to take tramadol when I would run out of my stronger opiates to stave off WD. Like you, I wound up having a seizure from an overdose. I'm sure you already knew that the tramadol has similar effects to depression meds because of it's SSRI properties. It's possible some of your discomfort could be from the abrupt cessation of the serotonin produced by the tramadol.

I'm glad you found our forum. I love it when we get new members from other areas of the world. I get a kick out of reading some of the different ways you guys phrase things. :D I'm easily entertained.

Welcome,

Q

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Hi RGB,

Dr. J gave you some great advice above that I'm tempted to copy and paste onto numerous posts I see here from newbies. Although Suboxone is a miracle for most of us, it is too much to expect it to completely eliminate years of triggers and cravings over night. It just takes time to overcome all of the habits we have ingrained in ourselves after many years of taking opiates every time we don't feel right. AA/NA or some good one on one counseling is really necessary if you want to learn to deal with life without abusing drugs.

I'm curious about the NA group you mentioned. Were they aware that you were in the process of transitioning to Suboxone? It's not that often you find a group that accepts this, so if you did happen to find one I would definitely give them a go. I don't know how the NA groups are in your area, I'm assuming somewhere in the UK? Maybe they are more accepting of maintenance treatment there?

I also wanted to mention that since one of your DOC's was tramadol you might benefit from some type of SSRI. I also used to take tramadol when I would run out of my stronger opiates to stave off WD. Like you, I wound up having a seizure from an overdose. I'm sure you already knew that the tramadol has similar effects to depression meds because of it's SSRI properties. It's possible some of your discomfort could be from the abrupt cessation of the serotonin produced by the tramadol.

I'm glad you found our forum. I love it when we get new members from other areas of the world. I get a kick out of reading some of the different ways you guys phrase things. :D I'm easily entertained.

Welcome,

Q

I made a decision that this year I would change my life.
Aye you are correct I live in the UK.
A few months ago I met up with an old nate I hadnt seen for a few years.
The last time I had seen him I was an Opiate painkiller Tablet addict, mostly DF118s/Codeine at that point, while he was just a drinker/smoker/party type.
Anyway it turned out he had ended up addicted to Oxys.
But had cleaned up into a methadone programme.
Of course the first thing I done was get his old Oxy contacts to add to my list of MST/Codeine/Tramadol contacts.
For some weird reason Oxy didnt do it for me the way the MST did.
Also he couldnt believe the tolerance I had for it as from the start I was taking far more than he was at his worst.
Anyway he told me how he had got in contact with the addictions services and how they helped him.
I didnt fancy being in a Clinic.
By the way we have a free Health Service here so help was free.
But he convinced me that if I asked for help I would get it and also get a substitute for free.
I must admit my driver was that I would be guaranteed something every Day without having to go round searching plus it would be free.
So I went to the Addictions service expecting Methadone.
I was surprised when they reccomended Sub.
They asked me to go in the Clinic for 5 weeks but I would only agree to 5 days.
I was a dixxhead to be honest.
I went in on a Monday, full drunk of Vodka since they had asked me to stop the pills on the Sat before going in.
I took my last Morphine on Sat evening but still tested positive on Monday when I went in.
I left on the Friday wrote up for 8 mill of Sub a day.
Anyway now am on 10 today and feel much better.
Now I am really intent on changing.
As for the NA meeting.
Most of the others were Alcoholics.
1 Day we had an AA meeting which I disliked, as did the rest.
Another day the NA boys came in.
1 Gave me his number and said if I went to a meeting he would pick me up and drive me home.
Though I havent contacted him I appreciated that from hin.
He didnt know me but was still willing to go out of his way to help.
Decent boys.
Anyway I feel sound now on the 10 Mill.
Even going to the pharmacist in the morning for my tab gives me a good structure and routine.
Now I actually feel like I can beat the Pill habit.
I have no interest in coming off Sub right now.
To me its a wonder drug.
At the start I wanted Methadone.
Now thank God they gave me Sub.
It has changed my life completely.