All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: As Advertised so far!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

[font=Arial] [/font]
Hi All -

Today was a scary day, I held off for all opiates for 24 hours before the doc visit. I am amazed the compassion and professionalism at the office. Even with all I have read on this forum, and other places - i was the ever skeptical person. WOW.

Well, everytime I was doing the self blame discussion on myself - this doctor kept it back on disease. Amazing. The process looks to be accountability, some meetings, online forums, whatever it takes - I was so scared, my Blood Pressure was high, I as in mod w/d's and still there was facts, compassion, and their attitude is that this is a tool to learn to wean off over time - with a plan.

setmefree - thanks for the early words of encouragement. You were 100% RIGHT! I went into the office 24-25 hours after last dose, thinking how much I hated this. This was exactly why I wanted to try another route than cold/turkey.

well... 12 mg dose 8mg pills. 12 days - return and we see how it goes. He told me to take 1/4 to 1/2 pill first (about 4pm) then later the other half. Then tomorrow 3 - 1/2 pills spread out through the day.

The first dose was about 1/3 based on how it broke. I went for it. After about 45 mins - I knew it was helping some. Then later - I was part of life again to my surprise. Visiting with the kids, and family. WHAHOO! I took the 2nd half (after my headache went down) about 6pm, and I am currently feeling "normal"... I am so glad for "normal"... Everything I read from the moderators here was spot on! THANKS! I think that 12 mg's will probably be the right amount, the doctor was pretty confident - and I am on 8mg's now and it's as feel good as I used to get on oxycodone. It's different - and I don't know how to explain it exactly.

If anyone reading this is where I have been. Starting with a surgery, then going through codiene, vics, and up to oxy or harder - this is not the same feeling. As advertised. But, please hear me, if you have been like me - not knowing how crummy you have really been feeling - it is BETTER - not a high at all - it's just the first normal feeling I have had in a long time. WONDERFUL. No high, and able to say WONDERFUL. Now I can focus on my issues that need to address the addiction.

Hopefully together we can help ourselves and others to give this route a try - rather than cold/turkey - or other creative solutions to get off yourself - like I tried and failed over and over.

More postings as time goes by, it's my prayer that this is the first day of the rest of my life without 4 hour walls, pills and wondering how to cope.

AS ADVERTISED!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LatheDude-

Just wanted to welcome you to the site.It is way past my bedtime and I have classes all day tomorrow so I will get back to you tomorrow evening.Take Care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:21 am 
Lathedude - so glad everything went well for you! My doc initially Rx 8mg tab X 3/day. I quickly found that I really didn't need that much and stuck with ~12mg/day for the first few weeks, then found that 8mg/day was usually plenty. I assume that they put us on a lot initially to get us comfortable from the withdrawals and to get those receptors sufficiently blocked. However, what I don't understand is why a lot of docs (mine included) don't tell us that for most people those high doses (24mg/day) are not necessary and don't benefit us any more than say 4-8mg/day would. Whatever - I like my doc and I'm not complaining because Suboxone has helped me so very much.
I'm happy for you that things went as planned/hoped. Now you can start to work on whatever issues you may have related to your addiction. In my opinion, Suboxone has been miraculous in that regard. I just needed to know what "normal" felt like again, to be reminded that "normal" wasn't so bad! It has allowed me to get past a huge stumbling block in my recovery - low low low motivation levels. More than anything else, that is what led me back to opiates. I couldn't stand my life without them.
I've been on Sub for 3 1/2 months. I've taken 4mg/day for the past couple weeks and today dropped to 3mg. The only thing I've noticed after ~ the first 3 days at the lower dose was a slight runny nose for a few days, a hint of achiness in the legs and a little bit of laziness. I'm gonna see how I do on 3mg for a couple weeks in hopes of getting down to 2mg/day and probably staying there for a while before getting into a more serious taper.
Hope you continue to do well! I have a feeling you will!