It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I want to briefly share my story in the hope that it will help others. I have been on Suboxone for close to 3 years. A good part of that time, I was constantly taking too much Suboxone and running out early, only to be "hurting" come refill time. I always had an "impulse" to take too much. When dosing extra I did not receive any high or added benefits other satisfying that urge to take something. I realized that if I don't changed, I may get booted from Suboxone and in big trouble.
Anyway, I went to psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADD and put me Vyvanse. I have been on it for 3 moths and has completely changed my life! It has calmed my impulse to take extra Suboxone to the point that some days I don't take enough!

Please, if you experience ADD or ADHD symptoms, seek treatment! Find a Psychiatrist that understands addiction and the fact that untreated ADD can encourage addiction. Vyvanse has a much lower potential for abuse then adderall as it is a pro drug. Many doctors are much more willing to prescribe this.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm on sub's and am currently taking too much and about a week or so ago I told my doctor that I notice I have some signs if add not hyperactive but definitely the impulse control problem as well as starting things never to finish and I had a lot of problems growing up where I would do things just cause with no real reason my son suffers from ADHD but I always thought genetically its from his dad who was add and uncle ADHD. Thanks for thus insight. I don't agree that meds are for everyone but for those who need them is my son it's a major difference made.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 am 

I've definitely known adults and children who have benefited from ADHD medication. With children I hope it's the last resort, but I've had two friends whose sons have really needed it because they started to feel badly that they couldn't act like the other kids in school. The parents had tried other kinds of therapy and diet changes, etc, but when the kid's self esteem took a hit, that's when it was time to try meds.

It is not unusual at all for sub users to test whether or not there would be an effect from taking extra sub. That's the nature of addiction. It is a psychological impulse to use a pill/medication/etc. to make ourselves feel better and that habit is hard wired into our brains after addiction takes hold. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, but it does mean that you may have to get some extra help to change your behavior. Cognitive behavioral therapy can help change how you respond to impulses, for example. Maybe find an addiction therapist who can give you extra tools to fight the behavior.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy I'm thinking that is exactly what my husband and I our engaging in the impulse of taking something .I do feel a high when I take the first sub a day but after that nothing. I'm willing to admit it could 100% be All in my head. I'm an addict so most shit is in my head. Once I got on subs I have not bad the therapy needed but that is a lot me not calling when I'm supposed to make the appt but also my Dr office can only do appts for that week no further out so if I call on Monday to make an appt and they are full I have to wait until next Monday to make an appt. It's sucky cause that is our medicaid doctors in NY.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had the same problem with impulse control, and still do, to some extent. This week I ran out of Subs because, for the past three, I would feel the impulse "TAKE MORE SUB" and would cave immediately... even when I knew it was a bad idea. I would like to take amphetamine again, as it helped a lot before; but my doctor doesn't want me on it, and although I never had any problems with it in terms of addiction (it's always been only opioids, for me -- speed makes me feel bad if I take enough for "recreational" purposes), I guess it'd be risky to try again.

I found that, as others have said, taking extra Subs is just a pure waste. Three feels the same as one, to me. I know it's super tempting, but I think with experience, we are able to realize it's pointless and stop. Like Amy said, it's behavior we've conditioned into ourselves, and it can take some time to straighten out.

By the way, I also feel a little mood boost when I take my Subs. It's very small and mild, and if I'm not concentrating I usually don't realize it, but especially when I used to skip doses (for a variety of reasons) I'd feel it. I think that this might be something that only happens to those of us with depression, or else it's caused by varying our doses (or both).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that the addict part of our personalities always wins, if we start rationalizing things. So I encourage people to use distraction as soon as you notice the thought about taking extra. As soon as possible, direct your thoughts to ANYTHING else. Think about what you will watch on TV tonight. Thing about your last boyfriend or girlfriend. Think about your favorite color. Look at pictures of sexy people. ANYTHING that pulls your mind to a different topic for a few minutes. In most cases, the impulse to take extra will go away after a few minutes.

On the other hand, if you let the thought linger and start 'reasoning' over the issue... the mind will ALWAYS find a way to rationalize taking extra. I like to think in terms of 'the addict inside'--- the part of the personality that favors doing whatever feels best at the present moment, that will NEVER agree to putting off gratification. But that impulsive part of our personalities can be pushed aside for a few minutes-- allowing reason to come back, and regain control.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:01 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

That's all so true, suboxdoc! I never put it into words before, but now that you have, it's very clear that that is exactly what always used to happen: if I thought about getting high for any length of time, even for just a few seconds more than the brief initial impulse, it was going to happen. I could feel it decided in some part of me, even as my conscious mind "debated" whether or not to do it. A very weird feeling, to think you're talking yourself out of it even as you know that it's absolutely going to happen.

Distraction while the impulse fades is a really good idea; thanks for posting this. I'm really terrible at delaying any sort of gratification. Everything from an impulse to eat another ice cream cone to the desire to "borrow" from the next day's dose: it happens, I do it. Anything that fights this tendency is a great thing!

I know from experience that the incredible, crushing need fades away, even though at the moment it feels like it will always be there. Just telling myself "defer the decision; in ten minutes, then you can decide whether or not to take that extra half" is enough for reason to reassert itself.