It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a beautiful story to share with you. It's about how addicts on this very forum have helped each other by "paying it forward" - and not in a cyber way either, but in a real life way.

Before I go on, I'll admit right away that this is actually my second identity as I'm an existing member - BUT I'd like to keep my privacy as well as that of others involved in this story intact. So please don't try to figure out who I am. Just enjoy the story.

I've been around here for awhile, long enough to have made a friend or two that I'd email with. Then one day my 5 year old laptop crashed in a big way and I was unable to access the forum. My friend from the forum happened to have an old, refurbished laptop and this friend made me an offer: He offered to send me his refurbished laptop FOR FREE. He felt he was in a position to help a fellow addict out and so he wanted to. I was overwhelmed! What a wonderful gesture! He shipped it to me at his expense and everything.

I ended up using that laptop for over a year before I bought a new one of my own. When that happened, I decided it was time to pass on the laptop again. So I cleaned it up and got it ready for the next person.

By this time, I had a new friend from the forum who didn't have her own computer at all. She was borrowing other people's computers when she was able just to access the forum. I thought since this laptop had been a gift for me that it would be best to pass it on to the next person as a gift as well.

Just two weeks ago I packaged it up and sent this laptop two states away to its new owner. I don't think this could have worked out any better. And the fact that it all stayed within members of THIS forum is the best part of all. Talk about addicts helping addicts! And I feel honored to have been part of this wonderful Pay it Forward experience. It's a beautiful thing. :)

I'm hoping you all get as big a kick out of this story as those of us involved did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I like that story :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is SO cool! Thanks for sharing with us and congrats to all who was involved in this 'paying it forward'.

Good for Dr. J's Suboxone Forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Beautiful inspiration. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow! Thanks for sharing this very up-lifting, real-life story!

I bet that the recipient was very grateful to have received the laptop.
And, I am sure that it warms your heart to know that you have helped
a fellow recovering addict, too.

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Love it, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Your story brought a warming smile to my feelings receptors,It was a very nice thing for the person before you to do for you and its repeating its kindness through you.I hope you and the person be4 you signed it and maybe it can continue to be a symbol like a medallion to help for more than just to help stay sober,Yea never know some day you might need a loner and it already has your name on it,lol,I know the feeling of not having a computer for any length of time,I lost the internet and phone for the last couple of months and was only able to use one when i went to the library and sorry i did not come to the forum i had limited time but I'm back again.Its awesome how folks can share a common disease and relate like a motorcyclist wave's to another when passing by but when the flip side of the disease shares a common ground they can reach out to help with knowledge of our owns experience to better another one's quality in their sobriety,I love hearing how strangers are not so strange when someone takes a minute to get to know them,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

that is a great story.......Its great how we all have been down in a deep dark hole, and its definitely a bond that you have only with people that you know have been there.

I actually traded my husband and I's computer about 2 yrs ago for 5 oxy 80s. My husband was at work, I told him the computer broke and I took it in to have repairs done............then a month later said we didn't have the money to pay the bill so they sold it......one of the many stories that came out upon me cleaning up my act.

Anyways,,,,,I got a job at a door shop when I had only 6 wks off the pills,,,and on suboxone. The guy I went to work for knew of my construction experience, but was hesitant on hiring me due to not being able to hold a job for 5 years.
So I came clean with him, and told him all about the program Imon. turns out, his father is a pharmasict here in town and he knew exactly what I was talking about. furthur more I found out that he (my boss) had been to treatment 3 times in the 90s for cocaine addiction....He hired me,,,took a chance on me when nobody else would. and still tells me he'll be the first one to call me out if he thinks im fucking up.......lol

So fast forward 3 months or so,,,,,and Im talking to him about wanting a computer,,,,,even went down to the local rent to own place to get one. when they called him to verify I worked there,,, he asked to talk to me. then told me NOT to rent a computer, but to come in and see him after work on monday.

He tells me they are upgrading all the office computers, and that I can pick from the 3 different laptops, and have one for $250, just give him $50 a month.

I couldn't belive it. but I was sssooo happy, and greatful. Im not sure it was that big of a deal to him, but THATS the only reason Ive been able to post on this site. I felt like I jumped ahead 2 generations as soon as I brought it home. And we share a hispeed connection with our next door nieghbor. we give him $30 a month and he's happy as hell.

Its nice to get a hand up when you feel like your doing everything "right", its nice to feel like you deserve a little bit of something good too. for the longest time I didn't feel like I deserved anything, thanks to all that horrible crap I did.

Thanks for letting me share....just wanted to add another uplifting story.....and Im doing great at my job, even got a promotion,,,,,imagine that.....couldn't hold a job to save my life, and now my boss thinks im the greatest thing since sliced bread........

Thanks everybody :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I needed a laptop for reading emails and using word at uni and thought getting a refurbished laptop would be my cheapest option. Finally bought a refurbished laptop from "ElectroComputerWarehouse" and the product id is "dell_d620_laptop".