It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok. This thread will probably discourage me, but I'm gonna need to know this info sooner or later so, here goes:

I am currently an active opiate user. (not SUB..)
I have 0 insurance whatsoever.
I am thinking about trying to find a SUB doctor... Get on sub, and find a good support group to help with the mental side/the addiction...
I want to do it as cheap as possible. (duh.)

So...
How much should I pay for the initial doctor consultation.... Or, how much is it to GET ON SUB?
How much should I plan on paying for the Rx each month? Is there a generic version of SUB yet? Is it cheaper? Is there any downsides of taking a generic version?
How much will I pay for ongoing doctors visits? Do I have to have a bunch of ongoing doctors visits anyway?

Also...
Is there anything I should watch out for when seeing or talking to a doctor?
Are the SUB doctors shady at all, like some opiate/pain management doctors ARE? Just anything I should watch out for?
Should I go to the SUB doctor 3-5 days OFF opiates the very FIRST appointment? Or should I just go talk to them and then come back in withdrawals??
Is there any other costs that I've just overlooked?

And last...
If there any other info you think would be helpful to me, concerning cost when starting a SUB regiment?

I thank you in advance for any and all help and info!!

iPhone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My advice is coming from calling around the state of Kentucky so I can give you that much information there. First off, if you can get medical insurance BEFORE you start taking Suboxone do it now. When I got on Suboxone, I couldnt get health insurance because they said I was high risk. It might not be that way in every state, but like I said my information is coming from being in KY.
Ok, doctors visits around here run from 300-650 for the first month and about 280-450 every month afterwards. Some places will offer a step down in prices that might go from 450-250 or something BUT when I call those places they want you off of it in nine months and for me that was just not possible. Nine months wasnt enough time for me to get ready for a child, its not enough time to get my brain straightened out after addiction. My doctor told me that as long as it took, he knew that I was willing to get off but I needed time to straighten out my head before just throwing me off on Clonidine and Phenegran. When i was ready, we would step it down right. Find a doctor that accepts either debit/credit cards or money orders, but not cash only. The ones that accept cash only to me seem a little shady and they usually ask more on the monthly part.
The medication itself, is going to run you about 200-300 a month depending on dosage and where you get it from. The mom and pop pharmacies are usually the best way to go on this, because they dont charge as much like Kroger/Walgreens/Walmart and the like. Sometimes but its rare, you might find a bigger pharmacy that doesnt charge as much because they offer those discount cards that might knock off a small amount. However, you have to be extremely careful when using those because sometimes they jack the price up and then knock off some and its the same amount that you was going to spend before or might be a little more higher.
My medication costs me roughly about 200-240 a month depending on what I do take. Somedays I do good on 8mg and somedays I do good on 12mg. I know they say to not use Suboxone as a crutch for stress, this is my fault and failure when it comes to taking it. I am getting better at it however,it just takes time to learn how to deal with problems that we once numbed ourselves with pain pills.
For my doctors visit and medication I spend about 500 a month. THis sounds like a huge amount but compare it to going out on the streets and finding pain pills or whatever your drug of choice is and the risks that are involved with that alone. We arent counting the risks involved with taking heavy amounts of drugs and overdosing things like that. I was already to the point that 15 pills did nothing for me on a daily basis. I was trying to get more into my system, because it seemed like nothing was ever enough. I hurt so much all the time, basically the pills were working against me and the more that I could take, the better off I thought that I was. I wish that I had gotten help sooner, I might not be in this shape now but we all learn from our mistakes and move on.My husband calls this another hurdle in life that we will jump over and look back on it as just something else we had to deal with and we have had alot to deal with.
Be careful if you cant afford this route and go with Methadone. I have spoken with people in my doctors office that were Methadone patients and they have NOTHING good to say about it. I am not saying however that there isnt people out there that do enjoy it and find a better life after having it, but this will be a daily venture to the clinic and will cost roughly the same as a doctors visit to a Suboxone clinic. The medication is included, but for us a 90 mile trip everyday will add up to the same as I am spending on medicine in gas. Gas being almost 4 bucks a gallon and our car takes bout 25 dollars to go from my Doctors visit and back, I multiply that by 7 and that is what I will spend in gas alone a week. I cant afford that, so I went with the Suboxone way.
The first few days after you are on it, I cant say how you will feel but for me it was a wonderful thing. It still is a wonderful thing to be able to get up and do the things in a daily routine that I love to do. Before I was hateful and contrary and I stayed in the bed all day long. Now if I had a full bottle of pills, it was completely different. My family, not including my husband here are still having trouble dealing with the fact that I am a addict. My mother thinks that its nothing and we hardly ever talk about it. My father will change the subject, I seen him today for the first time in about two years. i guess his guilt was killing him or something, it doesnt matter if I call or he calls, he doenst want to talk about it. Make sure to get a support group around you, family/friends/partner/boyfriend/girlfriend/ whatever that might be and make sure that they know you will need tons of support.
I am an attention craver, always have been and always will be, its a character flaw that comes along with my qwirky personality. My husband knows that and loves that about me, he supports me in everything that I do.
He didnt know about my addiction because I kept it hid so well, I lied about everything that I went at when it came to pills. I am still having trouble learning how to tell the truth when he asks me things, because I lied my way out of everything for so often.

Going to the Sub office for you might be different than it was for me. I can explain my first doctors visit and give that much help atleast. When I went in the first day, they told me to expect to be there for atleast 2 hours. I guess they figured that I had never taken Suboxone/Subutex before. Where I had taken it before, I didnt have to stay around to make sure that it didnt interact with me funny or anything. I had trouble urinating with someone in the bathroom with me, if you have this problem too you might want to figure out a way to get over it before the first visit. Some offices will just let you go in there by yourself because they expect you to be dirty the first time. They told me to be free of anything for atleast 24 hours if it was like Lortab's or Percocet's, if it was Methadone/Heroin things like that I had to be free of it for 72 hours. When I went in, I had taken two Lortabs the day before and I was already starting to sweat and get jittery because I was so used to taking pills every two or three hours in handfulls. DO NOT let them start you on no more than 8-16mg a day, no person should have to take 24mg a day. To me, that is too high of a dose to start off on my old doctor wanted me on 24mg a day and not only is it too expensive BUT that doctor didnt care if I took one or three a day. She was just there to write a script. My doctor now has me on two a day, but I hardly take two a day. I have once or twice, but nothing on a every day basis.

i hope that I have helped some, and if you have anymore questions I can help you there. The costs are going to vary from state to state, your state might be cheaper. THe only way that you will find out for definite is to call around. There is a generic Suboxone out right now, but from what I have been told its not that much cheaper yet. It should drop in price but they said that it might take another month or so to do this. I was really upset when I found that out. Just have to deal with the costs the best way that you know how, if it wasnt for my husbands job I dont know how we could even think about getting by. You might be able to get on the Here to Help program, they do pay for the medication for a year. If you can stockpile any up during that year, it would be a good thing.
You can google all this information or just post here and I can answer anything else that you might wnat to know. I call and talk to people all the time about costs and medication. I call doctors offices and pharmacies trying to find a cheaper route. I do internet research constantly. I hope that this helped in some way.

Post subject: No Insurance
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:53 pm 

Hi Iphone,

Pitbullmomma34 gave you some great information. It is going to be a lot of work to find a place that will go easy on you with the Suboxone program. You can apply for the assistance program but it is hard to get into. Go to naabt.org for a lot of good information. There is a generic Suboxone coming out very soon and our hope is that it will be a whole lot cheaper than the name brand.

I was fortunate enough to find two different doctors in two different states that took my insurance. If I didn't have insurance then the office visit was around $185. + the cost of the Sub. The insurance only pays about a third of the office visit so you may be able to negotiate a lower cost. It never hurts to ask. Without insurance it is going to cost you no matter what. Call all the doctors in your area to see what their charges are. And don't forget about the patient assistance program. I think each Dr. is allowed two patients. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

With me having insurance, it still took almost all day of phone calls to find one that would accept it. Meaning, you will have to spend even more time to find one that fits your budget.

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think for the Patient Assistance Program, they are allowed three patients per doctor. Most of the doctors dont even have their three because around here, no one knows about it. I did make sure to inform my pharmacist about it so when people come in, he can tell them and pass the phone number along. Around here, there is not one doctors office that I can find that will accept medical insurance for the visit. There is also not one office that will write anything but the generic that just came out or the films. I am going to talk to my doctor next month and tell him that this new generic is not cheap enough right now and find out what his exact reasoning behind not writing Subutex for others actually is. You will have problems with that as well, some areas dont have that problem. I think Texas is one of the states where they write alot of Subutex, I have just heard alot of people from there that get it with no problems.
I wish the best of luck in finding a doctor. I will tell you if you have any doubt at all about the doctor, keep looking. I went to my first doctor almost 18 months, found out that there was another that was almost the same price and the office is alot nicer and their practices are just better all the way around. I went there instead, my first doctors office I came out of there crying every visit. They made me so stressed and nervous that I just couldnt take it. Just make sure that you are happy with the doctor that you pick. You have that right to switch, but dont switch so much that it looks like doctor shopping.